Sexual Harassment in Physical Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AAtndpt2018

Reaction score
I know sexual harassment is a big topic in the news right now, and it had me reflecting over some past experiences: what constitutes sexual harassment between clinical instructor and student? I have a memory that vividly stands out to me which happened while I was a student during one of my clinical rotations several years ago. Since PT is such a hands-on environment, I truly wanted to know what people think of this situation, and whether it was appropriate or not. I'm not seeking to confirm that this was sexual harassment, but rather start a thread on what does constitute sexual harassment between student and CI. (I understand sexual harassment guidelines between PT and patient in the workplace, so this is not about that).

I was assigned a 10 week rotation at a manual therapy outpatient clinic. Three PTs worked at the clinic: 2 were female and one was male. I'll call him Joe. Joe was my clinical instructor. He was in his late 20s and I was around 23 or 24 at the time. Joe was a good CI-he took time out to teach me different techniques, especially manual techniques, and would often quiz me during the day. One day he told me we were going to go over external pelvic floor palpation techniques. I told him I hadn't even learned that in school, and expressed some surprise (I think I thought he was kidding at first-maybe this was naive of me as a PT student). He told me that he was surprised I hadn't learned or practiced the technique in PT school. So I thought maybe my school was just conservative.

We headed to a treatment table in the back of the clinic. I believe the curtains were drawn for privacy; I know for a fact no patients were around nor were the other 2 female PTs. In other words, it was just me and Joe.

I laid on the table in a hook lying position while Joe began talking through the anatomy. I remember feeling very nervous and trying hard to maintain my composure. However I admit I did not voice my discomfort-I was embarrassed that I was just being naive and that this was completely normal. And, after all, he was my CI, and in charge of my grades for the rotation.

He started to palpate my lower abdomen and down lower, around my pelvic region but not internally. My hands were not under his (I'd been taught this is an approach sometimes used near sensitive areas, especially when working with the opposite sex). He didn't spend a lot of time, maybe a couple of minutes or so, before we switched positions so that I could practice on him. He assumed the same position and started talking me through the palpation technique as he had performed on me. Again, his hands were not underneath mine. I know this because I got extremely close to his genitalia as he coaxed my position. Nothing else happened, but it was a very, very uncomfortable "lesson." We returned to work soon after.

I recall thinking this was very odd because again, I'd never practiced this in school, and also (and more importantly), because we did not have a single patient to which this technique applied. I understand that in a working environment I may come across a patient that would benefit from pelvic floor palpation (although I have not yet in my outpatient clinic), so perhaps this was just a good lesson to learn. I guess my question is, was it done appropriately?

Following this episode, I did confer with 10 of my close girlfriends from school who were all in their own clinical rotations across the country. They all appeared to be somewhat shocked, but again, none of us had practiced this in school as we attended the same one. I also asked some non-PT school friends who I was living with the time and they were equally surprised, but they are not in the field, so I wasn't sure if I could rely so much on their reactions. I also never consulted with the other two female PTs who worked in my clinic, which, upon reflection would have been the wise thing to do. But they were all close with my CI and I feared sounding stupid and immature.

So, long story, but if any one has any comments about this, please let me know. Am I overreacting to a normal learning opportunity? Is this an appropriate technique for a male CI to teach his female student? There's a lot that makes me feel like maybe this is normal and if I was uncomfortable at all it was my responsibility to speak up. But part of me questions the appropriateness given the environment and situation. Just curious-thoughts appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that was 100% inapropiate. It actually reminds me of that gymnastics doctor who abused hundreds of girls. It started somewhat like that and eventually escalated beyond just touching the pelvic area to actual penetration. All those girls and even their parents thought it was normal, because he was a doctor and you should trust your doctor. They always thought he had good intentions and it was all medical intended.
I understand why you would be scared to say something. Specially when this person is in charge of your grade, but when you have that gut feeling most of the times your gut is right.
Is this something that happened recently? I would talk to someone in school and let them know what happened.
This is not right and I am sorry you had to go thru this.

Reactions: 1 user
Your story does sound out of ordinary, but it is hard to tell if he had any hidden agenda or was just lacking professional judgement and common sense. I think learning those techniques would be appropriate with at least 1 female being present (the same principle we would follow to palpate a patient of opposite sex, right?). And I believe he should have asked you if you were comfortable with that first. During 1 of my rotations we had 2 PTs /CIs. Those CIs showed us and asked us to practice sacral palpation and mobilizations, which might be considered as "private" area as well. We had both males and females there and were practicing on each other and I did not find it being inappropriate at all. CIs were "patients" as well at some point and were giving us feedback. But we did not use any curtains, so everyone could see what was going on.
I think it would be a good idea to bring this incident to your clinical education person. I would probably do that after I pass my internship for pretty much the same reasons you did not say anything earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was the technique an actual technique? If not then he’s wrong medically

If he did a sensitive technique 1 on 1 with a woman he’s either a creep or an idiot who is risking getting sued as a very nice idiot. Always have a chaperone or a group.

In addition to chaperones, Hands under hands is absolutely something you learn to offer as a guy interested in protecting your reputation. You also learn to specifically describe any sensitive positions/techniques and specifically ask for consent for each of them.

Seperate from all that i want to encourage you that you always have rights as a human to tap out of a situation. Just say “I’m going to stop this here, we’re done and I’m not comfortable “

You don’t owe continuing to anyone regardless of whether he was a creep or a well meaning oblivious guy

Reactions: 1 users
If he were being creepy wouldn't he have gone to a more private place than a curtained table? I have no idea if he is a creep or not. I have a co-worker (female) who went to a CE for advanced training for pelvic floor dysfunction/pain and there were labs where the palpation and external and internal exams were learned. She was creeped out but uses the techniques now in our clinic. I want nothing to do with it because of what sb247 said above. My understanding is very limited but the techniques, exam and treatment, have been invaluable to my PT and her patients.

Sounds like it wasn't sexual harassment or assault to me but still inappropriate IMO. When you're licensed in a profession you still have standards beyond the law of everyone else though. I'm all for opposite sex being comfortable examining one another and learning about it but there should be some tact involved. Another person present in this scenario, preferably a female, and preferably a female doing the touching on you would've been a good start. There should be another level of care taken for teaching or examining the opposite sex in sensitive areas like this every time. Totally inappropriate.

Like, we practice palpation for the pubic symphysis and femoral artery. Cant imagine that would be very common in outpatient ortho