MD Sexuality as contributing factor for applying?

Started by Wroke
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Wroke

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good morning everyone,

I have submitted TMDSAS/AMCAS and am pondering what to say on my secondaries which will inevitably ask "WHY DO YOU WANT TO GO HERE".

A part of it is that I'm gay. I applied to schools in LGBT-friendlier areas because I dread the prospect of staying in Texas any longer. I am not purporting that tacking it on will boost my chances anywhere, but will it be okay to list as a personal reason for wanting to attend a certain school (alongside curricula and research of course)?
It is a strong reason that overrides tuition cost as a priority- I don't mind being in debt for a few more years as long as I can spend that many more years (potentially) more comfortable in my environment.

Including this personal reason may help the adcoms understand that I am unlikely to stay in Texas if accepted elsewhere, since there appears to be a stigma associated with Texans applying OOS.
I've seen many mixed responses and am curious what the consensus is.

TL;DR- Listing GAY as CONTRIBUTING TO an incentive to attending someplace due to its location as an OOS. Ex. applying to USC-Keck, Einstein.