SF Match meeting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FruitStand

Reaction score
I heard a rumor that the SF match program directors get together in San Fran and talk to each other about which applicants they want for which programs and negotiate rank lists.

Is this true? Seems like it would cost a lot of money and be a match violation?

Members don't see this ad.

This is possibly the most outlandish thing I’ve ever seen here. You are completely amiss if you think they care that much. They have hundreds of applicants every year. Half the time top programs can select who they want anyways. These programs often care more about pushing their research agendas more so than selecting cookie cutter applicant #1 vs #2.

Reactions: 1 user
Along the same lines, its not true that programs "scheme" to have the same interview dates thus making applicants choose one over another. Interview dates are determined by individual program's availability of venue, attendings to interview, avoidance of local events (university footmall game or city-wide parade that can cause enormous congestion) etc etc.

Along the same lines, its not true that programs "scheme" to have the same interview dates thus making applicants choose one over another. Interview dates are determined by individual program's availability of venue, attendings to interview, avoidance of local events (university footmall game or city-wide parade that can cause enormous congestion) etc etc.
This is not correct. I know for a fact that a lot of programs definitely pick dates that they know will directly conflict with other similar programs. I have been told this by my chairman in medical school and in residency. It makes sense to do so. Obviously there is no way know for sure if someone chose to come to interview for one program over another(outside of directly asking them on interview day). This is especially true for programs that aren't considered "top tier". They don't want to interview a bunch of people who just showed up because they had nothing else to do that day and trying to end up ranking as many programs as possible, so they can match. Programs would rather interview as many people as possible that are legit serious about wanting to match with them. "I would rather match at this program and be disappointed than not match at all" is a very common mindset when going through the ophthalmology residency match process. Programs know this and will do whatever they can to interview as many people as possible that would actually be happy and excited to match with them.

Reactions: 1 user