SF match Standardized Letter of Reference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

interferometer

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've already asked my letter writers for letters but I just noticed this form that may be used in place of a traditional letter of recommendation, but NOT in addition to a traditional letter.
thoughts on whether it would make a difference using traditional vs. the new form?
trying to figure if it's worthwhile asking the writers to use this form.

https://www.sfmatch.org/PDFFilesDisplay/OPHTHR_StandardizedLOR.pdf
 
Interesting, I wonder if SF match intends to go the way of EM and convert completely to these standard letters....I would guess standard letters are still the way to go if they give you a choice as they SHOULD sound more personal than these---a very strong LOR should address some of these points though. You could always ask your letters writers to directly address some of these points---though I would make sure they can rank you highly on these scales before doing that.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Interesting, I wonder if SF match intends to go the way of EM and convert completely to these standard letters....I would guess standard letters are still the way to go if they give you a choice as they SHOULD sound more personal than these---a very strong LOR should address some of these points though. You could always ask your letters writers to directly address some of these points---though I would make sure they can rank you highly on these scales before doing that.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
They say it's "a three‐year pilot project to evaluate the use of a standardized letter of reference." so might be a little while before they make it mandatory.
Thanks for your input!