SFSU post bac success?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedHopeful09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the SFSU website, it says they have around an 80% success rate with med school applicants, but I wanted to hear from actual people who got in somewhere. I'm currently in the program, so hearing success stories gives me hope in my own pursuit of a similar outcome!

I've heard similar stories from various people, but wanted more SFSU-specific ones.

I was going to post this in the post-bac forum, but thought that forum to be more directed at getting into one rather than moving on from one.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did the formal PB program there (took all my pre-med classes there) and graduated at the end of 2012. I am applying to medical school right now.

I did not do another post-bacc, so I cannot really compare how my post-bacc compared to others. What I can say is that the SFSU program was a great experience and I'd reccomend it. The teachers are good, the syllabus is fair, and the advising committee is generally good (perhaps too optimistic though). I'd recommend taking a larger course load than they recommend, though, unless your academic skills need some polishing.

The 80% figure? Maybe it's reliable; I don't know. Many of my peers are currently applying to schools. Of course any program will have attrition, meaning many students will drop out of the program before applying to med school. I'd say maybe 40% drop out, usually in the first semester or right after it. Also make sure the figure does not refer to "went to a health professions school," as maybe some students decided to apply to a less selective health profession school, like podiatry or nursing.

I know many people from the last cohort who went to solid schools like Carver and Pittsburgh. There are many in my current cohort who have stellar (35+) MCATs and 4.0 sGPAs coming out of the program and will likely get in somewhere.

Good luck! Remember there is also the UC Berkeley Extension and CSU East Bay.