sGPA 3.36, 3.56 cGPA, school suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pasta_sauce

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just having a lot of mixed feelings about applying this cycle to med school and I would like your thoughts on if I have a chance to get into an ok med school and what schools those could be. I think I am still going to apply anyways, but I want to pick the right schools. Just to try.

Ethnicity and/or race: Hispanic
Year in school: Junior (Johns Hopkins University)
Country/state of residence: California
Schools to which you are applying: I would really like to apply to all of the California Med Schools. But I know my chances are pretty low.
Cumulative GPA: 3.56
Science GPA: 3.36
MCAT Scores: Haven't taken it, but calculated ExamKrackers practice exam 501 (used a thread to calculate it)
Am going to take it May 21 (because March is too soon and April is filled up) and I know that is very late, but I really want to try to apply this year.
Research: 2 nonclinical wet labs (for both worked over the winter and summer. TSRI full time, LMRI part time like at the end of the days/holidays. At TSRI I have 3 papers and 2 abstracts, not first author in any.) 1 clinical lab during sophomore year (no paper but an abstract.)
Volunteering (clinical): 3 hospitals in Mexico, 2015-2017 summer and winters (I dont know how to calculate hrs. should I include driving? I also shadowed here some days more than others).
freshman year at school about 12 hrs. did not stick with this group.
sophomore year at school about 12 hrs again did not stick with this group.
I am also volunteering at a hospital near my college. Just started though.

Shadowing Experience: I did this the same time I was volunteering, would help them with surgery prep (putting eye drops, giving them gowns, etc. and then watch the surgery and scribed for them so would this be considered volunteering or shadowing?
But I did go to a California clinic and just observed for a summer (around 30hrs).
I also shadowed a US neuroscience doctor one day though (6 hrs)
Also going to shadow this semester at a hospital near me and at the clinic I'm volunteering at.

Non-clinical volunteering: was a part of the board that created a community service organization (fall of sophomore year) and volunteered weekly with this organization (around 200 hrs).
Another group I joined sophomore year took about 16 hrs.

Extracurricular activities: freshman year was a part of the frisbee team, the board of directors I talked about above, hiking club (but I normally just do it with friends/whenever I have time). Probably other stuff, but I am not entirely sure what to include.

Employment history: The labs I talked about above.
Immediate family members in medicine?: Yes, my mother is a retina surgeon and my brother is currently finishing his 4th year of residency.

Graduate degrees: Will be graduating with a BS in Neuroscience and potentially a minor in psychology.

tl/dr:
GPA has been increasing since freshman year (3.33 -> 3.37 -> 3.51 -> 3.56)
I am just worried that my science GPA is not good enough (3.36, I didnt include psychology/neuroscience courses), let alone my cumulative.
I am also worried about my clinical experiences. I haven't shadowed USA doctors that much and I don't have that much clinical volunteer experience besides going to Mexican clinics and hospitals.

I do not feel like I am going to get into a med school in California with this application, but I would like some advice on what I can do this semester so that I can potentially 'make it' as well as some schools that could be my safe schools. I really would like to apply this year even if my chances are low.

credit for post format: DO - WAMC: 500/3.27 cGPA/2.99sGPA + suggested schools? ... filled in my own information though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just FYI, you should be including neuroscience classes in your science GPA. Given your sGPA is very borderline and neuroscience was your major, this could actually have an impact that isn't completely trivial (either good or bad).

Also, your chances will be very heavily impacted by your MCAT given the weak GPA. Those GPAs with a 506 and a 521 are two verrrry different applications. Come back with an MCAT, as it's hard to advise without one here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI, you should be including neuroscience classes in your science GPA. Given your sGPA is very borderline and neuroscience was your major, this could actually have an impact that isn't completely trivial (either good or bad).

Also, your chances will be very heavily impacted by your MCAT given the weak GPA. Those GPAs with a 506 and a 521 are two verrrry different applications. Come back with an MCAT, as it's hard to advise without one here.

I wont be able to show my Mcat until around June (which is when people are already applying...) and with neuroscience it brings me up to about a 3.42 sGPA. I originally wanted to do it in April, but those time slots are already filled up. There is a spot for early May, but that is when I have finals.

You will be fine. I had a low GPA and low MCAT but still was able to get accepted and a handful of interviews in my first cycle of applying! Stay strong!

Mexican (grandparents however are from Spain...) and not really. I have volunteered at a clinic for years and so i know phrases, but I know i have an accent and I know I am not conjugating some words correctly.
Also I have a 3.5 science gpa. I realized I had not updated it since last year.

Mexican (grandparents however are from Spain...) and not really. I have volunteered at a clinic for years and so i know phrases, but I know i have an accent and I know I am not conjugating some words correctly.
Also I have a 3.5 science gpa. I realized I had not updated it since last year.
It is time to take a course in Spanish this summer before your interviews ! That would increase your chances.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Loma Linda
California University (new school)
Kaiser (when it opens)
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Einstein
Drexel
Temple