WAMC? 513 MCAT, 3.56 sGPA 3.66 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambiguous toad

Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.66 sGPA: 3.56
  2. 513 - 127C/P 128 CARS 128 B/BC 130 P/S
  3. NC resident
  4. ORM
  5. Regional state school in NJ
  6. ~500 current hours (~200 expected) tech at inpatient detox and rehab unit ~500 current hours (~1500 expected) tech at psych units (Psych ED, Eating Disorder Unit, and inpatient Psych Unit)
  7. 2 posters presentations after 320 research hours. Biochemistry focus (1. Novel antibiotic synthesis to combat antibiotic resistance 2. Protein isolation and analysis from fungal species that breaks down PFOS)
  8. 50 hours shadowing (psych and EM). I plan on getting more with different specialties over the next year.
  9. 120 hours volunteering non-clinical. 50 hours as an advocate for sexual violence survivors through college’s office for violence prevention. 50 hours coordinating volunteers for swim meets during college. 20 hours volunteering at assisted living facilities before COVID. Expected 100+ hours at tutoring center for individuals with Down syndrome.
  10. 3 years on college swim team, school records in multiple events, and captain for the men’s team during my final year. I was a part of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee to use my voice to advocate for student athletes on campus.
  11. Presidential Scholarship for HS grades and SAT/ACT
  12. Minors in Neuroscience and Substance Use Disorders (finished the educations requirements to be an alcohol and drug counselor)
I have already applied, but just wanted to hear another viewpoint on my chances for this cycle.

Schools:

UNC
Duke (I know the chance is minuscule but I did it for fun)
ECU
Wake Forest
EVMS
Georgetown
George Washington
Maryland
Cooper Rowan
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Quinnipiac
Wisconsin SOM and PH
Miami Miller
Tulane
Toledo
VT Carillon
Emory
Penn State

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Heard back yet? What's your mission fit? As the schools should cover mental health, I'm missing a reason why these schools.
GWU - hold late august, otherwise radio silence. Want to go into primary care and treating underrepresented individuals. This passion came from clinical experience in mental health units. Not sure what you mean by the last sentence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Georgetown is very service oriented and expects thousands of hours of service.

U of Wisconsin has a heavy instate bias. Medical College of Wisconsin does take out of staters on the other hand.

Emory likes lots of research. Duke too.

Last edited:
GWU - hold late august, otherwise radio silence. Want to go into primary care and treating underrepresented individuals. This passion came from clinical experience in mental health units. Not sure what you mean by the last sentence.
For example, ECU prefers students who want to work mostly in the community clinics around the Tidewater part of the state, and their mission is serving rural communities throughout the state. Your answer and profile do not suggest you would benefit from what ECU offers with "primary care and treating underserved communities" that they represent. I can be wrong since you are not sharing your AMCAS and ECU secondaries, but that is just an example from what I gleaned.

Since you got a pre-interview hold, GW likes public health and enjoys advocates since they are blocks away from policy thinktanks and influencers in government and nonprofit. Community service is a big plus for them.

Last edited: