MD & DO sGPA 3.84, cGPA 3.87, 505 MCAT - Sticky situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pearls_and_propofol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a dilemma. I took the new MCAT in July and then panicked and registered to take another one in August (before I got my score back from the July exam). I ended up getting a 505 in July and surprisingly dropped to a 502 in August. My GPA is above average for most schools and I have pretty good ECs, but I'm so depressed about this new score. Other info: I'm Asian, first-gen, not a native English speaker, disadvantaged.

I have already completed my applications for 16 of the 30 MD schools I am applying to, and I don't even know if it's worth it to finish the rest. How screwed am I? :(

Btw, I also applied to 3 DO schools, but my AACOMAS app is currently in the process of being verified.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's not worth stressing over what's done. Much easier said than done but if you focus your time on putting your best foot forward you put yourself in a far better position for success.

Regardless of the 502 vs 505 your stats are completely fine for DO programs. A 3.85/27 chances of an MD program aren't all that favorable but apply broadly to a realistic list of schools and see what happens. If you live in a lucky state you certainly aren't out of the running quite.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're done for MD schools.
Apply broadly to DO schools, but keep in mind that going down will hurt, as will your poor choice making. You appear to have taken a high stakes career deciding exam very flippantly.

So I have a dilemma. I took the new MCAT in July and then panicked and registered to take another one in August (before I got my score back from the July exam). I ended up getting a 505 in July and surprisingly dropped to a 502 in August. My GPA is above average for most schools and I have pretty good ECs, but I'm so depressed about this new score. Other info: I'm Asian, first-gen, not a native English speaker, disadvantaged.

I have already completed my applications for 16 of the 30 MD schools I am applying to, and I don't even know if it's worth it to finish the rest. How screwed am I? :(

Btw, I also applied to 3 DO schools, but my AACOMAS app is currently in the process of being verified.

oadly to DO schools, but keep in mind that going down will hurt, as will your poor choice making. You appear to have taken a high stakes career deciding exam very flippantly.

@Goro Would you suggest taking a gap year, retaking the MCAT in the spring after full preparation, and then applying earlier next cycle?

It is awfully late to be submitting secondaries to MD schools and you realize the schools you listed on your primary will consider you a reapplicant if you apply again next year. You need to stop doing secondaries for MD schools and apply to way more than three DO schools. At this point DO is your very best path to medicine.