sGPA 4.0 cGPA 3.90 MCAT 36 - School list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScribeDavid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says:

sGPA 4.00
cGPA 3.90

MCAT: BS-14 V-10 PS-12 Wr- P

California resident, went to CSU, rural background and am finishing up a semester abroad in Britain right now.

Clinical: 2 years experience as ER scribe, 20hr/week with lots of direct patient interaction and worked with about 12 different ER doctors.

Research: ~10 months of biomedical research identifying pancreatic cancer biomarkers, 1 poster no publications

Volunteer: some time at local food pantry but not much

Work: 1 year as peer mentor for incoming freshman from disadvantaged backgrounds who were entering STEM fields.

Clubs/leadership: 1 year as VP for chem club which I also helped to reestablish on our campus. 3.5 years as class rep for Honors Council which is an advisory board to our school president, departments with honors programs, as well as oversees our schools Honors college.

List:
Stanford
UC Irvine
UCSF
UC Davis
UC SD
Oregon
Johns Hopkins
Dartmouth
Mayo
U of Maryland
U of Vermont
U of Virginia
Boston Uni
U Penn
U of Kentucky
U of Colorado
Emory

Thanks for any help with regards to my school list!

Members don't see this ad.

As the title says:

sGPA 4.00
cGPA 3.90

MCAT: BS-14 V-10 PS-12 Wr- P

California resident, went to CSU, rural background and am finishing up a semester abroad in Britain right now.

Clinical: 2 years experience as ER scribe, 20hr/week with lots of direct patient interaction and worked with about 12 different ER doctors.

Research: ~10 months of biomedical research identifying pancreatic cancer biomarkers, 1 poster no publications

Volunteer: some time at local food pantry but not much

Work: 1 year as peer mentor for incoming freshman from disadvantaged backgrounds who were entering STEM fields.

Clubs/leadership: 1 year as VP for chem club which I also helped to reestablish on our campus. 3.5 years as class rep for Honors Council which is an advisory board to our school president, departments with honors programs, as well as oversees our schools Honors college.

List:
Stanford
UC Irvine
UCSF
UC Davis
UC SD
Oregon
Johns Hopkins
Dartmouth
Mayo
U of Maryland
U of Vermont
U of Virginia
Boston Uni
U Penn
U of Kentucky
U of Colorado
Emory

Thanks for any help with regards to my school list!

i don't know how you feel about upstate new york, but i would consider adding U of Rochester. Also, consider Wake Forest, Northwestern, NYU, and Tufts. A lot of the schools you listed are difficult to get into if you're an OOS applicant. Just my two cents.

slightly under you number-wise with a tad bit more EC stuff. Check out my school list and how I ended up doing. hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Your list is top-heavy, and there are a lot of state schools on there that might not look so highly on OOS, since you'll be claiming CA residence (I assume.) Regardless, if you write up that application in the right way, hand in some solid essays, you will be golden.

Although your application looks good, your list outside of Ca is tough. I would consider adding some more private schools in the lower to mid tier group. Some suggestions are MCW, SLU, RF, NYMC, miami, loyola.

Here are some OOS friendly colleges you might want to look up. I don't know about their GPA/MCAT averages though:

Yale
George Washington
Howard
Georgetown
Emory
Pritzker
Northwestern
Boston
Massachusetts
Tufts
Hopkins
Mayo
St. Louis
Washington
Duke
Creighton
Dartmouth
Columbia
Cornell
Mount Sinai
New York Medical
Case Western
Drexel
Pennsylvania
Pittsburg
Brown
Meharry
Vanderbilt

Thanks for all of the insight. I was worried about it being top heavy with my lack of volunteering and longer research. Would it help at all to get involved in a volunteer project once I get back to the states next month and carry it through to interviews?

Also, my revised list:

Stanford
UC Irvine
UCSD
UCSF
UC Davis
Johns Hopkins
Mayo
Oregon - I know they're not kind to OOS but it's one of my top choices
Dartmouth
Vermont
UVirginia
Boston Uni
UKentucky - I do have strong family ties there
Emory
Rochester
Tufts
Georgetown
St. Louis uni
Drexel
Jefferson

I know I still have a few big research universities I probably won't get in to but I took out UPenn and a couple OOS-unfriendly schools and added quite a few more OOS friendly schools. Hopefully it's a more balanced list. Any thoughts?

The biggest difference between the two lists is privates vs publics. Is this a factor? When you can mention a personal reason for applying there, you'll have a better shot.

The biggest difference between the two lists is privates vs publics. Is this a factor? When you can mention a personal reason for applying there, you'll have a better shot.

... This thread is over two years old...