SGU Alumnis - need some help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shaqkillz451

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I'm considering the Carribean route and wanted to ask you a few questions since you've been through this. Correct me if I'm wrong: the first 2 years are spent at Grenada doing basic sciences and the next 2 are spent in US hospitals, correct?

How easy was it to get the rotations at ur preferred place? did you get ur first or 2nd or 3rd choice? What determines where u'll be doing them?

Residencies - did u get ur first/2nd/... choice? I know that boards determine this so is the "acceptable score" requirement higher for SGU students?

Tuition - it seems to me that SGU tuition is higher than the states, on their website, its about 18K per term. If you don't mind, I would like to ask the neighborhood stats of ur debt amount after finishing school (tuition + living expenses). You don't have to answer if u prefer not to.

Loans - getting loans is similar to the states right, u just do the fafsa and give them the school code for SGU? Were you denied US federal loans?

Adjustment - how was it adjusting to life in Grenada if ur coming from US or UK? Did it seem hard? Did you learn to enjoy ur stay?

I'm a Nj resident and am hoping to land a residency here on in NY. If any alumnus is practicing in these states, i would really appreciate ur input.

Thanks
 
Hello,
I'm considering the Carribean route and wanted to ask you a few questions since you've been through this. Correct me if I'm wrong: the first 2 years are spent at Grenada doing basic sciences and the next 2 are spent in US hospitals, correct?

How easy was it to get the rotations at ur preferred place? did you get ur first or 2nd or 3rd choice? What determines where u'll be doing them?

Residencies - did u get ur first/2nd/... choice? I know that boards determine this so is the "acceptable score" requirement higher for SGU students?

Tuition - it seems to me that SGU tuition is higher than the states, on their website, its about 18K per term. If you don't mind, I would like to ask the neighborhood stats of ur debt amount after finishing school (tuition + living expenses). You don't have to answer if u prefer not to.

Loans - getting loans is similar to the states right, u just do the fafsa and give them the school code for SGU? Were you denied US federal loans?

Adjustment - how was it adjusting to life in Grenada if ur coming from US or UK? Did it seem hard? Did you learn to enjoy ur stay?

I'm a Nj resident and am hoping to land a residency here on in NY. If any alumnus is practicing in these states, i would really appreciate ur input.

Thanks

Okay, let's see if I can answer all these questions:

1) You're right: 2 years in WI, 2 years in US or UK. Actually, it's 1.5 years on Grenada and 0.5 years on St. Vincent.

2) Most rotations are in NY/NJ. I did mine in CA and that was hard to get because there are few spots available there. You should have no problem if you want to stay close to home.

3) Scoring a residency: There's no short answer to that question. It depends on what specialty you want to do. Just rock the boards and don't take time off and you'll be fine. Good students get good residencies. I'm doing anesthesiology, and many of my classmates are doing that as well as surgery, radiology, ophthalmology, and ER.

4) You can get financial aid just like anyone going to a US school. You'll have tons of debt, but who cares -- you can defer your loans through residency, and you'll have loads of money to pay them back once you're an attending.

5) Adjusting to the islands: It's harder for some than others, but it's definitely doable. You'll be studying so much that it won't matter in some ways, and you'll make friends fast. What's nice is that when you get down there, many of you will all be in the same boat and things like race, religion, nationality, and gender won't matter very much, because you'll all feel like orphans. Besides, medical school is hard no matter where you go.

The bottom line is that I'm completely happy with my decision to go to SGU, and I have absolutely no regrets. There are some down sides to being a foreign grad, but it's all about trade-offs. You'll get a first-rate education and you'll be a good doctor if you work hard.

Good luck!