SGU chances for January2015???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hopefuldoct0r

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I recently applied to SGU and would like to know my chances for January 2015 class.

MCAT:
1st attempt 19
2nd attempt 24
3rd attempt 23

cGPA: 3.22
sGPA: 3.34

Shadowed with orthopedic surgeon, board member of a foundation that provides healthcare in under-developed countries, former Emergency Medical service member, volunteered with Global Medical Brigades at my university.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSE!
 
Skip- I just read ur post after posting another "chance" thread. I understand what you are saying but I believe people post these to find some kind of comfort. It is not arrogance on there part or narcissism, SDN is a place where people, like us, who really want to be doctors but were troubled with individual circumstances that hindered our application. So we look for comfort, if you are a physician you should know how to provide that comfort.
 
As stated in the other thread, there is nothing unique about your situation. If you're simply looking for reassurance, no one here can give that to you with certainty.

Everything I posted on the other thread is accurate and still applies. You stated you're looking for "comfort", but I'd instead call that "insecurity" (as I said in the other thread) that made you post. Your life as a training physician will be full of these moments. Learn not to rely on others to assuage this. Otherwise, you will be continuously second guessing yourself, and that is exhausting. I honestly believe that this is the root cause of the behavior seen in a lot of angry and depressed physicians. While there is always a healthy amount of "making sure" before you make a decision, you need to learn to develop self-confidence that you're doing the right thing and that your course is sound. Or, as I say to students I interact with, "measure twice, cut once."

Best of luck. Let us know how it turns out. Not trying to be a dick. As a much older and more experienced individual than yourself, just trying to impart a life lesson. Nothing more.

-Skip
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Average MCAT is a 25 and average cGPA for direct admit is 3.3. You're a dead average applicant. You'll probably be fine unless you show up high or drunk to your interview.

Just as an aside -- criticizing the people most qualified to give you advice (before they've even done so) is probably a poor way of getting useful advice.
 
Skip, you are not a "dick", I do appreciate your response, I was merely stating a reason for why I posted another "chance" thread before you say, "oh there goes another insecure, what are my chances, guy" but you are right ultimately, it is exhausting, but there is insecurity in all of us sometimes. I am just looking for some of those who did apply and got recently accepted with similar stats so I can have a sigh of relief thats all, even though it might not mean I might get accepted. But again, i really do appreciate the life lesson, I wish I had a 4.0 and 45 in order to have no insecurity.

Thank you ben, it says average mcat for SGU 27 on their website, do you think that is a little over-embellished on their part for "reputation" sake.
 
Last edited:
Skip, you are not a "dick", I do appreciate your response, I was merely stating a reason for why I posted another "chance" thread before you say, "oh there goes another insecure, what are my chances, guy" but you are right ultimately, it is exhausting, but there is insecurity in all of us sometimes. I am just looking for some of those who did apply and got recently accepted with similar stats so I can have a sigh of relief thats all, even though it might not mean I might get accepted. But again, i really do appreciate the life lesson, I wish I had a 4.0 and 45 in order to have no insecurity.

Thank you ben, it says average mcat for SGU 27 on their website, do you think that is a little over-embellished on their part for "reputation" sake.

I took these numbers from their Spring 2014 Entering Statistics. I'm not sure if that is higher or lower than normal, now that you mention it I think my entering class was 27 average but I couldn't swear to that. I don't think they embellish, I think they just selectively choose which data to report. An average doesn't mean a whole lot to me without a standard deviation or some other metric of data distribution or quality.
 
I took these numbers from their Spring 2014 Entering Statistics. I'm not sure if that is higher or lower than normal, now that you mention it I think my entering class was 27 average but I couldn't swear to that. I don't think they embellish, I think they just selectively choose which data to report. An average doesn't mean a whole lot to me without a standard deviation or some other metric of data distribution or quality.

Got you. thanks I just looked at the link and it surely says that. Hope im a shoe in.
 
I took these numbers from their Spring 2014 Entering Statistics. I'm not sure if that is higher or lower than normal, now that you mention it I think my entering class was 27 average but I couldn't swear to that. I don't think they embellish, I think they just selectively choose which data to report. An average doesn't mean a whole lot to me without a standard deviation or some other metric of data distribution or quality.
Now you are getting too technical... 27 average MCAT for SGU seems a little bit high...
 
Now you are getting too technical... 27 average MCAT for SGU seems a little bit high...

You'd be surprised. There's a strong opinion that, in general, people that go to the Caribbean are less-intelligent or bad test-takers or have poor grades. While there are some that fall into the latter categories, many students are coming from excellent Ivy league or similar institutions. If you take a look at the undergrad institutions under the Enrollment Statistics for 2014, over half of the incoming class was coming from California state schools. Cornell, Emory, not to mention a few excellent Canadian schools are also represented.

This actually goes along with my comment on the data distribution. If you look at a US school's MCAT/GPA, I can guarantee that you would find a narrower distribution of scores. The student body is much more homogenized at US schools. Averages don't tell the whole story when it comes to statistics.
 
Got you. thanks I just looked at the link and it surely says that. Hope im a shoe in.

No problem. If you have any questions about the school, feel free to ask or PM me, I just recently finished up my time on the island. I couldn't find much info when I was starting so I try to answer all the questions I can. Good luck!
 
No problem. If you have any questions about the school, feel free to ask or PM me, I just recently finished up my time on the island. I couldn't find much info when I was starting so I try to answer all the questions I can. Good luck!

Much appreciated. Hopefully when I get the acceptance, I will be back for more questions.
 
Question- Will SGU choose the highest MCAT score taken, because I logged on my SGU application status and it show the date of my recent mcat which is one point less from the previous one.
 
Question- Will SGU choose the highest MCAT score taken, because I logged on my SGU application status and it show the date of my recent mcat which is one point less from the previous one.

I can't recall if they only consider your most recent or if they take all of them into consideration. You should probably email your admissions counselor and ask them. One point probably won't make or break your application unless you are borderline somewhere else, but if it concerns you then you should email them about it.