SGU Costs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digitalising

Codename: Amistad
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been looking around the forums and noticed that whenever anyone mentions SGU, they talk about how it's 250-300K for the entire education. This sort of freaked me out so I went to their web page for costs:

(http://sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/som/financial-aid-Tuition.html)

Adding all the fees together comes out to about 185k:

18619+18619+6850+18619+6850+13699+5*(18271)+5*(340+898+600)+482 = 184,283

Which isn't cheap by any means, but isn't that much different from a private school in the U.S. Adding in housing will bump you closer to 200k, but this still isn't 250K. I can't imagine that housing for the clinical years would be fifty or a hundred thousand.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I've been looking around the forums and noticed that whenever anyone mentions SGU, they talk about how it's 250-300K for the entire education. This sort of freaked me out so I went to their web page for costs:

(http://sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/som/financial-aid-Tuition.html)

Adding all the fees together comes out to about 185k:

18619+18619+6850+18619+6850+13699+5*(18271)+5*(340+898+600)+482 = 184,283

Which isn't cheap by any means, but isn't that much different from a private school in the U.S. Adding in housing will bump you closer to 200k, but this still isn't 250K. I can't imagine that housing for the clinical years would be fifty or a hundred thousand.

Thoughts?

If you look at their housing....http://sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/som/financial-aid-housing.html
I think, you ll end up close to 200...u r right...but you can add another 15-30 for another two years depending on where you do your rotations...for ex. NYC, i m guessing avg rent is double of what it is somewhere in Michigan, so it all ads up.

Also, food + transportation. Living alone, you can easily spend about anywhere from 100-400 on food per month, depending on how one wants to live. With transportation cost...visiting family once or twice a year can add up also, say-- 1000-2000/year.

I think it can easily reach up to 225. Some students want to live big...reaching up to 250 easily. So it all depends how you want to live...but one will easily be in debt for a quarter mill.

all of this was just an estimate...perhaps i am wrong.

If you look at their housing....http://sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/som/financial-aid-housing.html
I think, you ll end up close to 200...u r right...but you can add another 15-30 for another two years depending on where you do your rotations...for ex. NYC, i m guessing avg rent is double of what it is somewhere in Michigan, so it all ads up.

Also, food + transportation. Living alone, you can easily spend about anywhere from 100-400 on food per month, depending on how one wants to live. With transportation cost...visiting family once or twice a year can add up also, say-- 1000-2000/year.

I think it can easily reach up to 225. Some students want to live big...reaching up to 250 easily. So it all depends how you want to live...but one will easily be in debt for a quarter mill.

all of this was just an estimate...perhaps i am wrong.

Thanks for your reply. Factoring in the additional expenses you mentioned, it seems the final tally would still be comparable to going to a private med school in the States and living off campus for two years, visiting family, buying food, etc. I definitely agree that the final cost will be heavily dependent on how frugal you are vis a vis luxuries, travel, food, and housing, but it doesn't seem to be above and beyond a U.S. school, as many posts on this forum claim.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply. Factoring in the additional expenses you mentioned, it seems the final tally would still be comparable to going to a private med school in the States and living off campus for two years, visiting family, buying food, etc. I definitely agree that the final cost will be heavily dependent on how frugal you are vis a vis luxuries, travel, food, and housing, but it doesn't seem to be above and beyond a U.S. school, as many posts on this forum claim.

I am Canadian so any schools that i would get into in the U.S, the cost will be just as much as I would be paying at SGU and some med schools such as Wayne state U...cost more than SGU...tuition for a non-resident at Wayne state SOM is about $$45000/year...so yes it would be comparable to going to any med school for an international student and going to a private med school for a U.S. resident.

I go to SGU and I'm 3 months away from finishing. Yes just the tuition and other mandatory costs will run you about 190K but then you have to add to that all misc expenses (rent, food, USMLE x 3, travel, etc.) and you can easily go to 225K. I have borrowed the least amount allowable and have been very tight with my expenses while borrowing a few thousands from my parents and still I have borrowed 215K in total. I have a few friends that have borrowed the full amount and are about 230-245K in debt. Basically your mouth will hit the floor every time you get that letter in the mail on the bottom of which it lists the total amount owed.