SGU Defer - possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epk1231

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if SGU allows those accepted to defer?

If I didn't get into a SMP and got into SGU, I was planning on going. But I got into the SMP that I wanted but I just received an interview for SGU. I was thinking about attending the interview and then if I got accepted for Fall 2012, I would defer until Fall 2013 so I could complete the master's and take a shot at some US schools. I understand that going to the Caribbean is a huge commitment financially so I want to make sure I can handle the coursework (via the SMP) before heading out of the country.

What would you guys advise? Should I even attend the interview? I know some US schools close their doors for the future if you turn them down - is SGU like this?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I remember, you cannot defer, unless it's an extreme situation. They will just encourage you to reapply. I haven't heard any stories of someone reapplying though.

I think you have to take some time and think about what's best for yourself.
Obviously, gaining acceptance to a US school is in your best interest, so the SMP route on the surface would be the best option. However, you have to think about other issues.

I.e. I had planned to apply to SMP programs last year along with SGU, and see what happens. I applied to SGU first, since most of the SMP apps I was looking at didn't open until November. I ended up getting accepted to SGU before that period, and decided to just go with it. To me, though being in the US would of been better, I just didn't want to have to wait a ton of time to officially start my education.

In my case, I had a good MCAT score, but since my undergrad GPA was low, I would have had to complete the whole SMP year before applying because I would likely get few if any interviews based on my undergrad GPA/enrollment in an SMP program. It would have taken a whole year of A's, which meant I would be starting medical school in 2014. On top of that, successful completion of an SMP program doesn't GUARANTEE that you'll get admitted into a program. Would have been pretty pissed to spend all that money on an SMP program and in the end it didn't serve its purpose. I'm not old, but I rather not seemingly waste 2 years of my life even though it may make for an easier time academically.

I think you should attend the interview... and even voice your concerns in the interview. From my experience and what I've heard from others, interviewers are all pretty laid back as well as informative. HOWEVER, if you think you're unsure you may not be able to handle the work academically, then DO NOT go to SGU right now. There is good support there, so I'm confident any determined person can do well, but if you're shaky at the moment, leaving the country for an expensive school isn't a good idea. If you decide to do the SMP on the other hand, you should not go in with the mentality of "this is just to see if I can handle it." You should be attempting to crush all of those classes so you have the best chance possible of gaining admission to a US school afterwards.

Sorry for the long response; hope it helps.