sgu dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newman8r

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm really tired of my undergrad... I have good stats and ecs. and I'm thinking about transferring into the third year of the premed program. Does anyone have any experience with the SGU premed program here?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are doing well in your undergrad or even decent, I would finish up and apply for both SGU and US schools.

I havn't been in the undergrad program myself but I knew people who finished it and entered the med school. Pretty much all they teach you is the basics needed to enter med school. I think it's a pretty easy program and your guranteed to get into the med school -- I think. In my opinion this is not a bad idea if you know for sure you want to go to sgu, but if you go there for undergrad I don't think you'll be able to count on a us med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have good stats in undergrad, I'd strongly advise you to stay, and apply for US med schools. While SGU is considered the best among the offshore schools, it IS still an offshore school, based on an island with somewhat lower amenities than found in the US. Attending a Carib. school, including SGU, WILL limit your chances of getting competitive residencies, so bide your time and finish what you've started.

As a MSIV at SGU, I would agree with all of the above posts. I would try to stay in the undergrad program, get a good GPA, take the MCATs and try for a US school. SGU is a great school but it will never be a US med school. You still will have more open doors thru a US school. If after applying, you don't get in, then shoot for SGU. Also, remember, SGU is a private school so you'll be paying 22,000 a year in fees for undergrad.

Thanks, this all makes sense. I'm just in the middle of working too hard to get good grades and ec activities - thought it might be nice to bypass the whole application thing. But yeah, I guess everyone goes through that at one point or another

Newman8r said:
Thanks, this all makes sense. I'm just in the middle of working too hard to get good grades and ec activities - thought it might be nice to bypass the whole application thing. But yeah, I guess everyone goes through that at one point or another
ALWAYS attempt to go to a US MD program first. Fatigue can certainly set in but frankly, youve got a lot more work to do and you'll hate yourself forever if you cut out any possibilities now just to "finsih up".