SGU Interview Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatsmysystolicdoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my SGU interview next week. Any advice? It's with a recent SGU grad, blind interview which seems like as long as I do well on the interview, I'm good? I searched the forums and most info is from few years ago. Any advice would be great

Members don't see this ad.

I think that interviews are just a formality to be honest. Don't pick at any orifices and you should be fine (heck, even if you did they still might overlook it).

EDIT: typo

Last edited:
^ Excellent response!

I interviewed with SGU two years ago. I doubt much has changed.

Do this...

1. Be ready to talk about how you will finance it. My interviewer said most students are clueless and he was surprised I had such a well thought-out response.
2. When they ask you about things you like to do outside medicine, DO NOT say you like to read medical journals. Be honest
3. They make you write an essay. I think it's more to see if you can write in English. I think mine was about a defining moment in my life.
4. Be familiar with the school and ask some questions about the program. Be ready to answer "why SGU?"
5. If they ask you what area of medicine...tell them primary care.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had my SGU skype interview in late Feb. I think I was horrible (I couldn't answer the basic interview question: talk about a time when you took a leadership role) but I still got in somehow..
What tips I would give is:
1. Dress well.
2. Be ready to talk about "talk about a time" kind of questions. For example: when you took a leadership role, when you had a major conflict with a peer/someone else and how you solved it, overcame a challenge, dealt with a failure (academic, probably another), etc
3. The obvious question: Why medicine?
4. Three qualities essential to become a physician?
5. A current healthcare issue (any)
6. 3 steps you've taken to reach here where you are? (for example, did a post-bacc to improve your GPA, etc)
7. What kind of doctor do you want to be, i.e. what specialty and why? (I think they are basically making sure you're realistic about your prospects (so no 'dermatology or bust') and you have appropriate reasons for the choice (i.e. don't say 'it pays well'))
8. How do you cope with stress?
9. How will you adjust to Grenada? have you thought about it, etc.
And so on... it is also a good opportunity to find out more about SGU, Grenada, etc. It's nothing too stressful; like I said - I thought I was bad, skype interviews are just different, but it was all good.
The interview was pretty conversational. We talked quite a bit about my background, etc (I wasn't explicitly asked where I went for undergrad, but I still mentioned and talked about it where it was relevant)

PS the skype interviewer knew NOTHING about me, not my major, not my undergrad uni, not my scores, not my personal statement, nothing. All they knew was that I was applying to the 4 year med program.

Update: they DO NOT ask you to write an essay anymore during the interview. I was never asked to write one and I was told by the interviewer "SGU removed the essay writing component last year from the interview process"

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I had my SGU skype interview in late Feb. I think I was horrible (I couldn't answer the basic interview question" talk about a time when you took a leadership role) but I still got in somehow..
What tips I would give is:
1. Dress well.
2. Be ready to talk about "talk about a time" kind of questions. For example: when you took a leadership role, when you had a major conflict with a peer/someone else and how you solved it, overcame a challenge, dealt with a failure (academic, probably another), etc
3. The obvious question: Why medicine?
4. Three qualities essential to become a physician?
5. A current healthcare issue (any)
6. 3 steps you've taken to reach here where you are? (for example, did a post-bacc to improve your GPA, etc)
7. What kind of doctor do you want to be, i.e. what specialty and why? (I think they are basically making sure you're realistic about your prospects (so no 'dermatology or bust') and you have appropriate reasons for the choice (i.e. don't say 'it pays well'))
8. How do you cope with stress.
9. How will you adjust to Grenada, have you thought about it, etc.
And so on... it is also a good opportunity to find out more about SGU, Grenada, etc. It's nothing too stressful; like I said - I thought I was bad, skype interviews are just different, but it was all good.
The interview pretty conversational. We talk quite a bit about my background, etc (I wasn't explicitly asked where I went for undergrad, but I still mentioned and talked about it where it was relevant)

PS the skype interviewer knew NOTHING about me, not my major, not my undergrad uni, not my scores, not my personal statement, nothing. All they knew was that I was applying to the 4 year med program.

Update: they DO NOT ask you to write an essay anymore during the interview. I was never asked to write one and I was told by the interviewer "SGU removed the essay writing component last year from the interview process"

Good luck!

Thank you everyone so far. Great info!!

Ask them questions. All this advice is fantastic about you, but make sure you have a few GOOD questions about the school. Find something in the depths of a blog you want to know more about. They'll be impressed if you know about some unadvertised school tradition unless you're in the "know." PM me if you have any more questions about what to ask schools

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Be prepared for questions listed above. Practice with friends / family so you aren't stumped when under pressure. Be natural and honest. It is easy to smell bs.

Some stuff I remember from my interview 4 years ago. I had to hand write an essay about an experience that changed me.

Why SGU?
They may ask about your past struggles
hobbies
I was asked about a book I had recently read
Talk about non medical things (best situation is to connect with the person on non medical subjects)

I had my interview last week, got my acceptance yesterday morning.
I pretty much improv the interview, but I asked a ****** ton** of questions. I pretty interviewed my SGU alumni interviewer.
Just smile, be honest with failure, good luck.

I had my interview last week, got my acceptance yesterday morning.
I pretty much improv the interview, but I asked a ****** ton** of questions. I pretty interviewed my SGU alumni interviewer.
Just smile, be honest with failure, good luck.

Congrats on your acceptance! Will you be going to SGU this fall? My interview is this coming week. Just a few questions if you don't mind:

Did your interviewer go off of a sheet from SGU with questions or was it just up to him/her on what to ask?
Did your interviewer ask any oddball questions (name some weaknesses, talk about Obamacare, etc.)
I know they said it is blind (no MCAT, GPA), so did he/she ask you to share your mcat or gpa or talk about your academics at all?

Thank you!

Congrats on your acceptance! Will you be going to SGU this fall? My interview is this coming week. Just a few questions if you don't mind:

Did your interviewer go off of a sheet from SGU with questions or was it just up to him/her on what to ask?
Did your interviewer ask any oddball questions (name some weaknesses, talk about Obamacare, etc.)
I know they said it is blind (no MCAT, GPA), so did he/she ask you to share your mcat or gpa or talk about your academics at all?

Thank you!

I will be attending this fall! I'm excited, but I have to prove to myself that I deserve this.

To answer you questions. If it's an alumnus via Skype, it will be very standardized. He/she will be going off a list of questions. My interviewer pretty much told me that up front so don't expect oddball questions. It's pretty much what @treefriend said.
Lastly, my interviewer told me that if granted an interview, he/she assume that our GPA/MCAT was good enough to be accepted. They are now trying to get to know you.