SGU Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurevet_11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was invited to interview at SGU less than a week after I applied. Obviously I was thrilled, but I can't help thinking that they don't do thorough file reviews until after interviews or something. Has anyone else experienced this? My interview is next week, so any tips would also be great. Thanks yall

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I was invited to interview at SGU less than a week after I applied. Obviously I was thrilled, but I can't help thinking that they don't do thorough file reviews until after interviews or something. Has anyone else experienced this? My interview is next week, so any tips would also be great. Thanks yall
When I did my interview in January they had a set list of questions that the school requires them to ask and they write your answers down to send in. I would make sure to be confident in your strengths and weakness' as a person and as an applicant. For me it was a relaxed and stress free interview. The interviewer also has no previous knowledge of anything from your application.

I loved my SGU interview, it was my best one. Your interviewer has a list of questions, but mine had also reviewed my file before the interview. Mine was over skype, so make sure your computer is plugged in and that you have stable internet. Check your sound and video before the interview starts. I had printed out my application so that I could remember exactly what I had given them.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I did my interview in January they had a set list of questions that the school requires them to ask and they write your answers down to send in. I would make sure to be confident in your strengths and weakness' as a person and as an applicant. For me it was a relaxed and stress free interview. The interviewer also has no previous knowledge of anything from your application.

I heard that in the past they make you write an essay/answer to a question when you get there. Did they make you write anything?

I heard that in the past they make you write an essay/answer to a question when you get there. Did they make you write anything?
They do not make you write an essay. I'm not sure when they got rid of doing that, but there was just the questions from the interviewer when I did mine.

I just received an interview invitation from SGU today! However mine is going to be in person! Do they let you know within the following weeks about an admissions decision or do you find out later like next semester in April?

I just received an interview invitation from SGU today! However mine is going to be in person! Do they let you know within the following weeks about an admissions decision or do you find out later like next semester in April?
My interviewer told me it would be about 3 weeks until I would hear something. It took about 6 weeks to hear back though because I guess the admission committee meets during certain times, so it was longer than expected, but they did send me email updates to let me know that they were still going over applications. This was also in January, so not sure if it was the same for any earlier interviews.

When was your application verified?? I’m (im)patiently waiting but wasn’t verified till the 20th and just trying to get a timeline! :dead:

When was your application verified?? I’m (im)patiently waiting but wasn’t verified till the 20th and just trying to get a timeline! :dead:
Well I too am extremely impatient so I emailed them asking what their timeline looked like and they emailed me back with an interview invitation my app was submitted on 9/17 and verified on 9/21! My email just said that later this week they would let me know more about my interview!

Well I too am extremely impatient so I emailed them asking what their timeline looked like and they emailed me back with an interview invitation my app was submitted on 9/17 and verified on 9/21! My email just said that later this week they would let me know more about my interview!
That’s so exciting!!!! Congratulations!

I just got an email for an interview with the condition that I complete 300 additional vet hours (100 small animal, 200 large animal). :eek:

Woah I didn’t even realize they did that, how many vet hours did you have already?
I was really low on vet hours. had about 120 small animal vet hours from three clinics and thousands of animal hours in wildlife and small animal. I’m not sure if they’d allow large wildlife vet hours or if it has to be livestock. I’ll have to leave my city to find a livestock vet. My application hasn’t been verified yet so I don’t even know how they received it so early.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was really low on vet hours. had about 120 small animal vet hours from three clinics and thousands of animal hours in wildlife and small animal. I’m not sure if they’d allow large wildlife vet hours or if it has to be livestock. I’ll have to leave my city to find a livestock vet. My application hasn’t been verified yet so I don’t even know how they received it so early.
Congrats!!!!
My guess is livestock/food animal/equine but definitely double check with them.

It's already really hard to find large animal experience where I live without traveling 3+ hours. One thing I did was I found a three day artificial insemination course for dairy cattle and went up with a few other girls from the pre-vet club. We stayed in a hotel all together and split all the costs so it was pretty manageable and much better then traveling back & fourth for days of shadowing or something like that. Maybe you can find something similar! It's hard to get a lot of hours in LA when it's not really an option where you live so I feel ya.
Thanks for the advice! I’ll look around to see if there are any courses where I can get a bulk of hours in a short time. I read that someone last year had the same requirement but was able to do regular animal hours as opposed to vet hours so I’ve asked about that. Even if I travelled hours away to a large animal clinic, I don’t know what vet would take me on with no domestic large animal experience. :oops:

I just got an email for an interview with the condition that I complete 300 additional vet hours (100 small animal, 200 large animal). :eek:
If you have a really hard time finding anyone to let you get hours in the LA section try emailing them and explaining your situation. They might be able to give you some advice or figure something out for you. They are very helpful for any questions or concerns that you may have.

Yeah, I interviewed and they asked for 100 large animal hours from me which was hard to find around Portland, OR.

Also I didn't double check but my interviewer said that an equine practice could work as "large animal" but food animal is probably preferable.

Yeah, I interviewed and they asked for 100 large animal hours from me which was hard to find around Portland, OR.

Also I didn't double check but my interviewer said that an equine practice could work as "large animal" but food animal is probably preferable.

How many hours did you have on your application when you submitted?

How many hours did you have on your application when you submitted?
I'm not the one you asked but I will note I submitted 10 equine vet hours no food animal and did not have the same request

But did have a lot of small animal, lab animal, and pathology

Last edited:
I'm not the one you asked but I will note I submitted 10 equine vet hours no food animal and did not have the same request

But did have a lot of small animal, lab animal, and pathology
I applied last cycle and I heard many people getting the same request of large animal hours, but I had no large animal hours at all and was never asked to get any. Not sure the reasoning behind asking some and not everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an interview for SGU! So excited!! any tips for the interview? thanks guys!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an interview for SGU! So excited!! any tips for the interview? thanks guys!
Just be yourself. As my interviewer told me, by the time you’ve been offered an interview they already mostly know if you’re accepted or not so it’s not make or break. The only time an interview would ever make an impact is if you were on the cusp and it goes exceptionally well or exceptionally badly. So just wear what you’d wear to any other interview, conduct yourself professionally, and be yourself. Statistically if you’re offered an interview there’s a 98% chance you’ll be accepted.

My interview was pretty casual. I was asked typical interview questions. I would recommend reviewing your application so you can expand on your strengths, weaknesses, and experiences. I brought a copy of my resume, which my interviewer told me was really helpful since the interview is blind (they know nothing about you). She took the first few minutes to glance over my resume and took it with her after the interview. I also recommend looking over SGU’s website so you can point out some of the features that attract you to the school. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions about the interview! Congratulations!

My interview was pretty casual. I was asked typical interview questions. I would recommend reviewing your application so you can expand on your strengths, weaknesses, and experiences. I brought a copy of my resume, which my interviewer told me was really helpful since the interview is blind (they know nothing about you). She took the first few minutes to glance over my resume and took it with her after the interview. I also recommend looking over SGU’s website so you can point out some of the features that attract you to the school. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions about the interview! Congratulations!

Thanks so much! Was your interviwer an SGU vet student or someone from the faculty? I also heard that they ask about your financial situation/how you plan on paying for SGU. Did they ask you something similar along those lines?

Thanks so much! Was your interviwer an SGU vet student or someone from the faculty? I also heard that they ask about your financial situation/how you plan on paying for SGU. Did they ask you something similar along those lines?

My interviewer was a graduate from SGU. From my experience, they have a long list of questions and just pick some from the list to ask. I can’t remember if I was asked about how I planned to pay for SGU or if I volunteered that information.

I just got the e-mail for an interview with SGU! If they did not state in the email that they suggest additional hours, am I in the clear?
(I have ~4000hr SA, 250 Marine Invert, 100 handling exotic fishes (rays, skates etc), and 50hrs around LA not with a vet)

I just got the e-mail for an interview with SGU! If they did not state in the email that they suggest additional hours, am I in the clear?
(I have ~4000hr SA, 250 Marine Invert, 100 handling exotic fishes (rays, skates etc), and 50hrs around LA not with a vet)
I would check with admissions. I don’t have access to my old email address, but I think they told me in both my interview invite and in my acceptance letter that I needed LA vet experience. Maybe it’s because you have vet experience other than SA. But I would confirm this sooner rather than later so there aren’t any surprises if you end up deciding to go to SGU and they actually do want you to gain more LA vet experience.

I also received an interview invite that did not contain anything about additional hours. I’m assuming that means we’re good, though I have a few hundred LA vet and animal hours. I wonder if it’s primarily for people that don’t have diverse experiences?

Reactions: 1 users