sgu interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vdubpower

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, i just recieved notice of a sgu interview, andi am hella newvous. i was wondering if people who have interviewed there already can give me some advice. i have heard i will be asked the obvious why i wanna bea doc, the diff views of abortion, and just basic stuff abt myself. seems simple but i aint all that great at saying all that inwords ....i also heard ther is an essay topic, whats the deal with that. ...my interview is in sandiege with dr sanderson, has anyone heard of him???

please send me any advice please abt sgu intervies
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Watch out for SGU!! I had a friend who went there and said it was the worst experience of her life. Avoid it like the plague was the words she used, and I don't blame her.. Don't go to SGU with hopes of getting into a US med school or residency. You would be better off burning your money in the fireplace to stay warm this winter then spend a penny on a medical education at SGU. If I were you I would pray for a US school or try reapplying several times before going out of the USA. Good Luck and hope you never make it to your interview!!

I deleted two posts that were in reply to the above that were extremely unprofessional.

Kindly phrase comments using professional and respectful language.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey vdulpower,

I am glad to know that you will have your interview for SGU. SGU is a GREAT school. I can tell you it's even much way better than some US med schools. I am serious.

I had an interview for SGU a month ago, and I got in. Before the interview you have to write an essay. Easy essay really. Like, who was person who had the largest influence in your life. Or Why do you want to be a doc. Or a third topic which escapes me. Don't panic. They will give you a LOT of time to do that essay. I don't know the person who will interview you, but I can tell you for sure that most SGU graduates happen to be very nice people. My interviewer was a very nice guy.

As to consider if you want to go to SGU, well, the only thing I could tell you is that SGU is the best US offshore med school. I personally know two people who graduated from SGU. The first is doing residency in internal medicine in Cornell, and the other in Albany also doing internal. I also know this nice woman who happens to be the moderator of this online service (wink, wink). She is in Johns Hopkins!
So, is SGU a school to consider after US schools? ........YES

That's all I can tell you. If you need more info, please feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will be happy to tell you more info about SGU.

Best regards,
Samer

Im sorry that your friend had such a bad experinece but perhaps she should post then. I graduated in 1999 and am at Johns Hopkins Hospital in rad-Oncology; by way of exampleof success, my field is one where 17% of US seniors dont even sucessfully matchi into it. 99% of US seniors from SGU get residency spots, many at top places.

Your post says you dont go to sgu to get to us med school-of course not; it is a med school. about 5-105 successfuly transfer but you dont go expecting to. You go wit the expectation to be an sgu grad.

I agree that unprofessional language has no room here; and there is no need for it as I am afraid you are *woefuly* misinformed. I am disappointed that you then post; if your friend had problems, by all means she should mention them. But you report not opinion (and certainly not your own; you weren't there) but false "data". Get your fact straight before trying to influence someone.
Towards that end, please see my web site http://travel.to/sgusom with a list of residencies for '99 and '00. I will answer any questions about sgu honestly, and I will say so when I dont know. But please return the favor in kind. Thank you and all the best.
Stephanie
SGUSOM '99

[This message has been edited by stephew (edited 11-07-2000).]

Being that I garduated from Ross, I cannpt directly comment on the inetrview process at SGU, but since I now work with a couple of SGU grads now I feel pretty confident that the education recieved is top notch. Of course I'm partial towards my own school ,but SGU seems to be the real deal. Good luck with the interview. The way I look at it is, once you get the interview the spot is yours to lose. Don't be too nervous, remember, there is always Ross
rolleyes.gif

Being that I garduated from Ross, I cannpt directly comment on the inetrview process at SGU, but since I now work with a couple of SGU grads now I feel pretty confident that the education recieved is top notch. Of course I'm partial towards my own school ,but SGU seems to be the real deal. Good luck with the interview. The way I look at it is, once you get the interview the spot is yours to lose. Don't be too nervous, remember, there is always Ross :razz

Being that I garduated from Ross, I cannpt directly comment on the inetrview process at SGU, but since I now work with a couple of SGU grads now I feel pretty confident that the education recieved is top notch. Of course I'm partial towards my own school ,but SGU seems to be the real deal. Good luck with the interview. The way I look at it is, once you get the interview the spot is yours to lose. Don't be too nervous, remember, there is always Ross
tongue.gif

Stephew: can you please clarify how many people of the class transfer out after the first year?

Quoting Stephew: "Your post says you dont go to sgu to get to us med school-of course not; it is a med school. about 5-105 successfuly transfer but you dont go expecting to. You go wit the expectation to be an sgu grad"

Hi,

Both my husband and I post under the same screenname. My husband loves the school...the education is top notch...the anatomy lab is state of the art..and the experience is amazing. We love living here. There are many things that are different than the US, in regards to living conditions..but we wouldn't trade this experience for anything at this point. Good luck in your interview...my husband says his wasn't that bad...just relax and be yourself..and you'll do great!