SGU January 2008 Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwells46

MD, MPH, MSM
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else going to SGU in January 2008?

Members don't see this ad.

i may.. and do foundations in august.. but nothing is certain yet

Will be scheduling my interview for August/Jan consideration next week. I'm guessing it's likely that it'll be January if anything at this point, but I'll know more after the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview in the next week for SGU. They said I will most likely be waitlisted for August 07 (or luckily enough get in somehow) or be in for January 08. I'm from the Washington D.C. area.

on my interview letter it said i would be considered for august.. however at my interview, my interviewer said august is full, and that was two weeks ago..

I have an interview in the next week for SGU. They said I will most likely be waitlisted for August 07 (or luckily enough get in somehow) or be in for January 08. I'm from the Washington D.C. area.

That's what happened to me. I was accepted to August but it was full so I was given a spot on the waitlist. Then, SGU called me last week and asked if I would be interested in a spot for January. I went ahead and accepted.

Congrats everyone! (you all sound so somber lol)

If I could ask, what are all your numbers? I didn't realize that SGU became competitive as it is...

Mine are 3.3, 30 mcat (12bs, 10 vr, 8 ps) and I'm retaking them in august. I've had a really good upward trend in gpa, from a 2.6 freshman year, to a 3.8 in the past few sememsters.... took me a little while to get going

thanks!

Congrats everyone! (you all sound so somber lol)

If I could ask, what are all your numbers? I didn't realize that SGU became competitive as it is...

Mine are 3.3, 30 mcat (12bs, 10 vr, 8 ps) and I'm retaking them in august. I've had a really good upward trend in gpa, from a 2.6 freshman year, to a 3.8 in the past few sememsters.... took me a little while to get going

thanks!

3.4 undergrad, 3.7 grad, 30 MCAT, master's degrees in public health and business, 7 publications

i know that the earlier the better, but i took the mcat may 25th and i'm still waiting for the results. so i figure i'll get it by about june 25th. my letters will be ready by then and so will my application (sending transcripts at approximately the same time). so i'm looking at around the first week of july is when i send my application/transcripts/all the other stuff i need. do you guys think this timeline is ok for the january spot? do they offer august spots if jan is full?

stats: univ of calif graduate, b.s. computer science, 3.5 science, MCAT??????, respiratory therapist for 3+ years (icu, er, pediatrics experience). awesome letters. chance?

thanks,
jeesa

Hey, if one applies now for January, or next August, when would SGU demand a down payment (assuming acceptance)?

Hey, if one applies now for January, or next August, when would SGU demand a down payment (assuming acceptance)?

Once you're accepted, they want a $1,000 deposit to hold your place in the class.

Once you're accepted, they want a $1,000 deposit to hold your place in the class.

Is that an immediate deposit, or if I applied this summer for August of 2008 admissions would I be expected to give a $1000 deposit by say March of next year or something? Thanks, and I appreciate the input.

Is that an immediate deposit, or if I applied this summer for August of 2008 admissions would I be expected to give a $1000 deposit by say March of next year or something? Thanks, and I appreciate the input.

The deposit is due within ~1 month of being accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi,
i may also attend january 2008

mlcal06, what do you mean by doing foundations in the fall?

on my interview letter it said i would be considered for august.. however at my interview, my interviewer said august is full, and that was two weeks ago..
what do you mean by foundations?

they have this program called 'foundations of medicine' - it's one term and you take classes like genetics, anatomy and biochem.
getting atleast a 3.2 lets you start the medical program in january.

I'm from the DC area as well, did you have your interview with Dr. Becker by any chance? I have an interview with him sometime next week, just wondering how it went. Good luck on the interview if it hasn't happened yet! :)

I'm from the DC area as well, did you have your interview with Dr. Becker by any chance? I have an interview with him sometime next week, just wondering how it went. Good luck on the interview if it hasn't happened yet! :)

Dohwickey,

I don't know when I will have the interview. I emailed Dr. Becker, said he is waiting for my application to arrive to him. I will hear from him soon I'm sure. Should be like next week possibly as well. By the way, what are your stats. Mine are 25R MCAT 3.52 GPA; 3 years teaching overseas science/english classes in Japan and Kenya. Good luck for SGU August 07 or Jan 08!!!

I had an interview for Aug '08 last week, and I was told that, if offered admission I would likely be put on Aug's wait list and guaranteed a place for the January class of '08. So, now I stand waiting to hear if either of those is true.

Looks like I will be joining you guys in January unless I get in off the waitlist for the August class which seems unlikely given that they have yet to send me the final paperwork for accepting the January offer and the spot on the waitlist. I also applied to the AUC and have a phone interview on Sunday. I think if I get in there for the August class and would have to wait for Jan. for SGU I would probably go to AUC. What would you guys do?

I hate to disappoint you, but I am in the exactly same situation as you. I have an interview for AUC on the phone, but mine is next Monday and I have my SGU interview in the next week.

I was in the same position with the August waitlist and decided to just take the January '08 spot and give myself a brain break after grad school...looking forward to meeting you guys!

I just got word that I'll be starting Medical School at SGU this coming winter.

See ya there?

I just got word that I'll be starting Medical School at SGU this coming winter.

See ya there?

Congrats, Swimm. I'm waiting to hear about my final decision, but hopefully I'll be swatting mosquitoes with the rest of you come January.

How was the interview for you guys...mine is next Friday in Jacksonville, Florida

We should have a sdn username revealing party when we start in January haha! Or not.

We should have a sdn username revealing party when we start in January haha! Or not.

First name=Stud

Last name= Muffin

Ravi, mine was pretty laid-back, not at all like the inquisitions of the schools stateside to which I've been invited. Don't know what that means, if anything, but that's what I noticed. My interviewer was very candid re: the school and island.

How was the interview for you guys...mine is next Friday in Jacksonville, Florida

I had my interview in Brooklyn and it was also pretty laid back. I interviewed with an SGU alumn who is now a chief resident in a hospital in Brooklyn...he was really nice and really tried to get to know me. No crazy questions- more about yourself, your interest in medicine, your hobbies, how you think you'll do away from family and friends on a Caribbean island, why SGU, why should SGU pick you...that type of stuff. There is also a short essay you have to write, nothing big, just like 10 minutes or so, I think they just want a writing sample to compare to your application essay. My interviewer pulled out his laptop at the end of the interview to show me pictures from his recent trip back to Grenada, haha so basically, very chill! Below is a link for the SDN interview page, I'm not sure if you've looked at it yet. But this is the page for the international schools and if you click on the SGU link you'll see comments from people about their interview experience...good luck, Ravi!

http://share.studentdoctor.net/interview/school_pick_foreign.aspx

Can someone tell me the timetable for the application process at sgu.

If I apply now, how long until app reviewed, and invited for interview.

my experience:
mailed everything april 5th.. (had transcripts and LOR sent the week before)
april 12th - email from admissions counselor saying she got my application
april 17th - email saying file complete
may 15th - snail mail letter offering interview
may 24th - email with interviewer's contact info
may 26th - interview
june 13th - phone call acceptance

good luck! see some of ya in january

Do you just ask your LOR providers to write the LOR and mail it to the address? How will the school know that this LOR is for the right person (esp. if two people applying have the same name).

Thanks,

does anyone know how much it costs per year for SGU. Tuiton, fees, books, and all other expenses included. i am having a hard time understanding their table on the website.

Hey, guys. I just got a phone call today telling me I'd been accepted to the August 07 class. I know this is the Jan 08 thread, but I thought I'd give my time-line to everyone so new/recent applicants can get an idea:

App sent to review board--end of April
Interview offer--June 16 (6 weeks to the day after app submitted to the Adm Board)
Interview--June 19
Phone call for acceptance--July 03

I'm not sure how they fit me into the August class since it's been full for about a month or so but I'm not complaining...on to the "family housing" search!!

Hey, guys. I just got a phone call today telling me I'd been accepted to the August 07 class. I know this is the Jan 08 thread, but I thought I'd give my time-line to everyone so new/recent applicants can get an idea:

App sent to review board--end of April
Interview offer--June 16 (6 weeks to the day after app submitted to the Adm Board)
Interview--June 19
Phone call for acceptance--July 03

I'm not sure how they fit me into the August class since it's been full for about a month or so but I'm not complaining...on to the "family housing" search!!

your stats? and did you say something about really wanting to get admitted to the august class? i have yet to hear from them but my interview was a week after yours.

your stats? and did you say something about really wanting to get admitted to the august class? i have yet to hear from them but my interview was a week after yours.
Overall GPA-3.1
Science GPA (post-bacc)-3.6
MCAT-29

Very limited health-care extracurrics. but I was working throughout the undergrad and post-bacc/MCAT years so maybe that offset that fact. Who knows. I'm also several years removed from my undergrad degree and this will be a 2nd career for me so that may have helped separate my post-bacc grades from the previous undergrad grades (which didn't include any math or sciences--Communication major:thumbdown:thumbdown)

I applied to the August class but didn't express my preference for either Aug or Jan, though August makes my life MUCH easier.

Let me know if you need any other info and good luck.

I got the call yesterday. I am accepted for the August semester. So, most likely I'll be going to SGU this August unless i get accepted in US but chances are not very hight b/c the waitlist movement seems to be slower this year.
I am so excited!!!

Guju-
When did you submit your app and approximately when was your interview?

Guju-
When did you submit your app and approximately when was your interview?

applied in May. Interview June 25th, heard July 5th.

I got the call yesterday. I am accepted for the August semester. So, most likely I'll be going to SGU this August unless i get accepted in US but chances are not very hight b/c the waitlist movement seems to be slower this year.
I am so excited!!!

Congratulations!

Were you accepted directly into the class? It was my understanding that the class was full and they were waitlisting new applicants. Have they had a lot of people drop out?

Congratulations!

Were you accepted directly into the class? It was my understanding that the class was full and they were waitlisting new applicants. Have they had a lot of people drop out?

i was accepted directly....no waitlists...I think they leave several spots open ( don't know why though?). and maybe i got one of those "open" spots.

to those who have been accepted....have you talked to financial aid or done any paper work for the loans. i am wondering if I'll get sufficient loans to cover all my expenses.

to those who have been accepted....have you talked to financial aid or done any paper work for the loans. i am wondering if I'll get sufficient loans to cover all my expenses.

Congrats, Guju, that's awesome man. Nice surprise finding out you're in for August huh? Now, like me, you've got to rush to get all the paperwork done and that $1000 deposit is due by the 11th of July.

All I had done before the acceptance was my FAFSA which I sent them before my interview. I'm going to fill everything else out on Monday. I called the financial aid office on the 5th of July and they emailed me all the paperwork. We've got a lot to do over the next few weeks so let me know if I can help with anything, though I'm going through it right now myself. You should set up a physical ASAP unless you've had one recently.

Congrats, Guju, that's awesome man. Nice surprise finding out you're in for August huh? Now, like me, you've got to rush to get all the paperwork done and that $1000 deposit is due by the 11th of July.

All I had done before the acceptance was my FAFSA which I sent them before my interview. I'm going to fill everything else out on Monday. I called the financial aid office on the 5th of July and they emailed me all the paperwork. We've got a lot to do over the next few weeks so let me know if I can help with anything, though I'm going through it right now myself. You should set up a physical ASAP unless you've had one recently.

i sent you a PM.

Anyone in the Jan class from the Sacramento, CA area??

Any UK applicants for SGU January 2008 ???

Anyone in the Jan class from the Sacramento, CA area??

I'm from San Jose, CA and went to undergrad at UCDavis, if that counts! I'm in DC now though... anyone in the DC area?

i am! sacramento, born and raised :)

Awesome!! I saw posts from people in the NJ area that were getting together before school started and I thought it'd be cool if there were a handful of us in NorCal to get together as well...or just to see if we may have any possible flight buddies haha...where in Sacramento? I live in EDH