SGU January Class: Pros/Cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heatstroke

MS2
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering joining the January 2021 class at SGU, can any current or former students share some pros and cons of starting in January? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There is quite literally a thread under this one about the same topic. Go through prior forum posts its been asked plenty.

It isn't really a big deal. The few extra months you get in the Jan class gives you more time to study for boards and more vacation at the end. Obviously the january class puts you a year behind given you are in the same class as the august. I was in the january class and would have rather done the august to not delay myself but doesn't really matter much. Either way you have plenty of time to study for boards and do everything you need to.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It isn't really a big deal. The few extra months you get in the Jan class gives you more time to study for boards and more vacation at the end. Obviously the january class puts you a year behind given you are in the same class as the august. I was in the january class and would have rather done the august to not delay myself but doesn't really matter much. Either way you have plenty of time to study for boards and do everything you need to.

Do you think there are issues when it comes to residency or anything later since a January join date would be off-cycle... like people will have a harder time remembering you since there is a year gap later?

Do you think there are issues when it comes to residency or anything later since a January join date would be off-cycle... like people will have a harder time remembering you since there is a year gap later?

Not sure what you mean but the answer is no. In the January class you apply and interview in the same time frame as the august class behind you. With class sizes of >1000 nobody will remember you regardless lol. I had to contact SGU for certain documents during residency and fellowship applications and I never had an issue. Was actually quite impressed with how efficient they are.

There really is no difference and aside from being delayed one cycle (a year) which in the long run is meaningless .... I am glad I did the Jan cycle. My vacation prior to residency and time to study for STEP 1 was great.

Hey! I'm starting my 2nd year at SGU in the August class, and it definitely seems like the January class has a better schedule. You would get a real summer break in between your first and 2nd terms, if you wanted to do research or an internship of some other resume building crap (or just enjoy your life while you can). Having the extra time to study for STEP (instead of worrying about SGU's stupid in-house exams, with poorly written questions) in the spring seems great too. They also have the benefit of having a few hundred people per class instead of 1,000. HOWEVER, if we continue distance learning in the Spring (which is very very likely, despite what they want to admit), I would absolutely recommend waiting or choosing another school. The quality of education since going online is ABYSMAL. Wet labs, SIM Labs, ultrasound sessions, patient encounters, etc which is the only "real" med school you get in the first year are obviously out. Normal small groups, which I personally found extremely helpful back on the island are now a complete waste of time.

Despite the fact that their platforms are riddled with constant tech issues (like the whole course site crashing every couple days) they are extremely punitive towards students with any tech problems. There is a minimum attendance requirement of 80% in each category (Small Groups, Lectures, etc), and if you don't meet that they will fail you regardless of the grade you earned. Any technical issue- even if it is well documented and completely beyond your control (like power outages or living in a state/country will spotty connection). They have, can, and will fail otherwise successful students who lose power after a big storm and miss too many classes- no matter how fervently you plead or how diligently you communicate with them. SGU admin has never given a **** about students- we have always known this, but right now the effect of their "go **** yourself" attitude towards us has been amplified. If you have any lack of faith in your Wifi, I highly recommend waiting, or going elsewhere.

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions about SGU! :)