SGU MPH useless? Why SO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MSc44

just for my own understanding
Why Is an MPH Degree from SGU often referred to as a crap (useless ) degree.
From what i understand SGU is a great university which offers top quality education

Members don't see this ad.

50k for one extra year of pre-med to guarantee a spot in the Caribbean just falls a little short of logical unless you are interested in an MPH, or you have you feel you cannot wait another second.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why have a degree from an unaccredited institution? The accreditation is evidence of the school meeting a minimum standard of quality.

And an MPH is really useless if you're not interested in public health. It is not a good "back door" to medical school, although I'll admit that there are those out there that use it for that.

Quick question: so if you complete their mph program you are guaranteed acceptance into their school (SGU)?

Fantastik19 said:
Quick question: so if you complete their mph program you are guaranteed acceptance into their school (SGU)?

i believe this is true if u complete it with a 3.5 or better, from what i have herd it is not extreemly hard

DrMom said:
SGU isn't an accredited school of public health.
http://www.asph.org/document.cfm?page=200

The school is in Grenada, not the US. Does anyone expect it to be accredited by the ASPH? There are many US programs that are not on the ASPH list that count toward being BE for preventive medicine, including at least one from the Ivy League.

prefontaine said:
The school is in Grenada, not the US. Does anyone expect it to be accredited by the ASPH? There are many US programs that are not on the ASPH list that count toward being BE for preventive medicine, including at least one from the Ivy League.

So the bottom line is, it is not accredited but is it still useful in the future? I will still have the MPH after my name and it will still be seen. I also have been accepted to the MPH/MD program and am considering it for Jan 06. Please advise as what I should do? Ross direct, or SGU MPH/MD program?

SPatelMD said:
So the bottom line is, it is not accredited but is it still useful in the future? I will still have the MPH after my name and it will still be seen. I also have been accepted to the MPH/MD program and am considering it for Jan 06. Please advise as what I should do? Ross direct, or SGU MPH/MD program?

Your SGU MPH will be taken into consideration but it will not carry any weight because it is not comparable to American programs.

MSc44 said:
so does that really make the degree 100% useless.................why even have an MPH program........or is it really just a back door to the med school

SGU has students from around the world in it and yes the MPH is useless if you want to practice in the States but there are a lot of students who live in the caribbean and it's accepted everywhere in the caribbean. So thats why SGU has an MPH program. Also unfortunatly it has also become a back door into their medical school. A lot of people who can't get into SGU normally will be offered the MPH than MD program if they graduate the MPH with a 3.5 or higher. This lets the students prove themselfs in the eyes of SGU that they can do well in medical school (However there are many that get 4.0's in the MPH program and still can't do well in the MD program) and its a way for the school to make an extra $50K, this is a bussiness first don't forget that!

RussianJoo said:
SGU has students from around the world in it and yes the MPH is useless if you want to practice in the States but there are a lot of students who live in the caribbean and it's accepted everywhere in the caribbean. So thats why SGU has an MPH program. Also unfortunatly it has also become a back door into their medical school. A lot of people who can't get into SGU normally will be offered the MPH than MD program if they graduate the MPH with a 3.5 or higher. This lets the students prove themselfs in the eyes of SGU that they can do well in medical school (However there are many that get 4.0's in the MPH program and still can't do well in the MD program) and its a way for the school to make an extra $50K, this is a bussiness first don't forget that!

I agree totally with that above. The thing with having MPH as an avenue for MD at SGU is because the program is not well known out side of the caribbean. The department is very involved in public health initiatives on the island and in the Region.
I was a direct entry MD student who decided to do and MPH because I was interested in it. Yes SOME students from the MPH program have difficulty once they get into the MD studies. But remember the reason they were offered the MPH first is because they were not considered as competitives as the regular students.
If you are interested in an MPH then do it. It is very stressful and you are reduced to a grade *****....trying to score points where ever you can just to maintain a gpa to make it through. The schedule is also rather taxing. you can be in class from 9 am until 8 pm....when i was in the program classes were in 3 hr blocks twice a week.....PAINFULL!!!!!!!
I enjoyed it and did very well ....but then again I was not under any stress, and that makes a world of difference

All the best of luck what ever you decide to do

MSc44 said:
i believe this is true if u complete it with a 3.5 or better, from what i have herd it is not extreemly hard

That's what they say. But my friend had less than 3.5, still got in. They just want the money.

How many months is the MPH? Any way to fast track it?

Is it really guaranteed st george med school admission if you get a 3.5 in it? Is it easy to get that GPA?

So when you apply, do you apply both to the med school and the MPH program or just MPH and its assumed that you plan on doing med school?

What do you need to get accepted into it? (min. gpa, mcat, etc)

MSc44 said:
just for my own understanding
Why Is an MPH Degree from SGU often referred to as a crap (useless ) degree.
From what i understand SGU is a great university which offers top quality education

I think an MPH WITHOUT an MD from SGU is a useless degree. Unless there were underlying reasons for why it made sense to get an MPH from SGU - like your spouse was in the medical school, or you intended on eventually enrolling in the SGU medical school.

It's not nearly as hard to get into an accredited MPH program as it is to get into a US medical school. For this reason alone, it just doesn't make sense as to why someone would choose a third rate school for public health, when they could have just as easily gotten into a first rate school.

My main reason for thinking that a stand alone MPH from SGU is useless is because I wonder what the network is like for a person from SGU with a stand alone MPH. Somehow I don't think it's even half as good as the network for SGU medical students.

I am in the same situation. I applied and got accepted to Ross. I applied to SGU and they want to offer me the MPH Program. In my honest opinion, if your goal is to become a physician, I wouldn't waste a year just for an MPH degree JUST to get into medical school. On my SGU interview, my interviewer informed me that the MPH program is very rigorous, at some points, even more difficult than actual medical school coursework. You spend a year studying public health, making presentations, meeting with different professors for approval of work, completing a 30 page thesis paper that HAS to be approved in order to pass, and you must maintain a 3.4-3.5 GPA, JUST FOR A CHANCE TO BE ACCEPTED INTO A MEDICAL SCHOOL. ALL IN ONE YEAR.

Whereas, at ROSS or AUC, you would have finished one year of your basic sciences. The SGU /MPH is a bogus way to lure students into their MEDICAL Program when its training is equal to ROSS or AUC.

Don't waste your time on MPH if it really doesnt interest you. Your already open to the carribean, make use of your time wisely. (my .02 of a dollar) :laugh:

jessie said:
How many months is the MPH? Any way to fast track it?

Is it really guaranteed st george med school admission if you get a 3.5 in it? Is it easy to get that GPA?

So when you apply, do you apply both to the med school and the MPH program or just MPH and its assumed that you plan on doing med school?

What do you need to get accepted into it? (min. gpa, mcat, etc)