SGU new student guide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wizardofmac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read a beginner’s guide post [~2007] for an SGU student to help him/her move to Grenada, and just wanted to post an update to things that might have changed. Hopefully a few people will find this helpful. If other SGU students find some mistakes I make in the post, feel free to correct.

Airline tickets:

Although I read the sections under accepted students many times, I somehow missed this [and so did a lot of people I talked to]. SGU has a contract with American Airlines, where students and their families can get discount fare. http://www.sgu.edu/accepted-students/travel-options.html. I made the mistake of trying to save some money and using LIAT as a connecting flight. Use LIAT as a LAST RESORT. They only allow one checked in bag, and one carryon with a limit of 15 pounds [usually carryon bags are about 5 pounds] so it is a pretty ridiculous rule. If the baggage is overweight, they WILL charge extra. Also, once you land in Grenada, LIAT does not carry the baggage for a MAJORITY of the passengers. You have to wait anywhere from 1-3 days to receive baggage. Instead try to book with American Airlines or Caribbean Airlines. I think United flies to Grenada too. Pros of Caribbean and AA: 2 check-in bags. Carry on weight Caribbean: 22lbs and AA [40lbs!]. Plus, both airlines fly directly from NYC and Miami. AA might charge $40 for the second check-in but it’s worth the money as you want to bring many things that will help with the transition to Grenada. If you do end up taking LIAT, put a couple of pairs of clothes in your carry on because there is a good chance you won’t get your luggage the same day.

What to pack:

http://www.sgu.edu/accepted-students/helpful-hints-pack.html
Follow this list, but there are certain things such as binders which are optional depending on your personal preference. I have noticed that most students use tablets and laptops, but many also prefer print out slides. Don’t worry about wearing formal clothing to school everyday. Yes, you may bring a few pairs, but casual clothing is the preferred style due to the weather. Bring a hoodie as study areas and class rooms tend to get cold at times. You don’t really need a poncho, but a raincoat and/or durable umbrella is a MUST. Fall is the rainy season, and it can be really hot and sunny one moment, and start raining within 2 minutes. The rain falls sideways and there’s always wind, so umbrellas do tend to flip a lot. Invest in a good water resistant backpack, and bring different types of shoes, not just flip flops. If you are a Term 1 MD then highlighters, dry-erase markers, sticky notes etc will help you out a lot. Note cards are optional since you can quizlet or something if you’re tech savvy. BRING A COPY OF YOUR LAPTOP/TABLET RECEIPTS. The airport will charge you the same amount of tax as when you bought these items when you arrive. It is the law; they aren’t trying to rip you off. Bring exact amount in US dollars, as they conveniently don’t keep change. Also, for some weird reason Ipads are the only tablets that get charged 30-40% of the retail price. Don’t let this discourage you from brining a tablet. I’ve seen it being used more than laptops for many students. If you can, bring a power transformer [or u can buy one from the hardware store on the island]. I do recommend bringing a power strip/multi-plug extension. There are authorized PC and apple retailers, so repairs shouldn’t be a concern. BRING AN ETHERNET CABLE. They are available at the hardware store, but during the first two weeks, supplies tend to run out as everyone wants the same things. USB/flash drives and external hard drives are convenient to share things. If you have macbooks with Lion or mountain lion, you can simply airdop any content between the macbooks. A drinking bottle is also very helpful. The school allows a spill-proof/sport bottle ONLY in classes. As a side note, every amenity, tech or otherwise is sold on the island. But, depending on the item, the price can be 2-3 times more expensive than the US. Workout enthusiasts, bring your supplements with you if you like saving money. Bring more than one set of headphones. A lot of people worry about the “theft” of tech products on campus by other students..its not an issue. The rules are the same as the US…leave your things unattended in school for extended periods of time and they will disappear. If you have a smartphone that’s unlocked, bring it with you so that you can just buy the minutes and save money by not buying a new phone. The phones here are cheap, but they are also very basic, simple phones. If you are unsure whether your phone is unlocked, ask your cell provider. If you paid for example the full $600 for your iPhone, it’s unlocked. If you got with a contract for a lower price it’s locked to that carrier. However, if your 2 year contract for that particular phone has expired you can call your carrier and they will unlock your phone free of charge. You do need a phone with a sim card slot, so Verizon and sprint phones will be useless.

MPH students: Contact and ask your professors in advance about which books to bring. I received a list of REQUIRED books, and to my surprise, almost all professors did not require any textbooks. The books can cost upto $700 if you buy and don’t rent, and more importantly they take up a lot of weight that could be allocated to something else.

Foundations students: I think you guys do need some of your books so ask your professors. The entire foundation booklist is available in e-book pdf formats, so you could save money if you download them [pay for the hard copies, ebooks or download for free…its upto your ethical standards and im neither discouraging nor encouraging either course of action]

I think term 1 MDs are required to purchase books from the school. Inquire to be sure.
On a side note, my roommate says there’s no alfredo sauce lol so bring that if you love it. Bring sunglasses, a hat[optional], and sunscreen. Don’t forget your pillow, blanket, and sheets. Comforter sets here cost ~140 USD.

Once you get here:

Food:
There are various grocery stores, 2 of the most attended are IGA, and Food Fair. They are both on the bus routes, and both offer the same items that we can buy at Kroger’s or Walmart. IGA imports from Chicago, and many of Food Fair’s items are also from the US. IGA is a bit more expensive but offers more variety. Food Fair is cheaper, provides more amount for the same or lesser value. Both stores accept credit cards, but food fair has a minimum of 50 EC for card use. $1 = 2.6 EC. IGA dairy is imported from the States. Fruits and vegetables are available at both stores, as well as vendors [a lot cheaper, probably more fresh, and you can try the fruits before you buy]. SGU campus and walking distance surroundings offer a variety of eateries. The campus has a student center that comprises of a Subway, New York Bagels, and Glover’s Bistro. New York Bagels is open 24 hours and offers a lot more than bagels: sandwiches, deli cheeses and meats, smoothies, shakes, pizza, desserts, Indian cuisine. Subway has a few local sandwiches in addition to the regular menu items. Glover’s Bistro offers anywhere from wraps, burritos and pizza to a formal meal. There is another “restaurant” in campus near the entrance called sugar shack that offers similar items. The student center also has a convenience store. During lunch hours, the upper portion of campus known as “the hill” has various food vendors. Food options on the hill include freshly made Indian and Mediterranean food, and a hot dog stand. Depending on the weekday there will also be people who sell eggs, coconut water, vegetables, and fruits at prices cheaper than the grocery stores.
There is also a bank and ATM on campus that can let you withdraw EC, and open your own account, or simply exchange USD for EC.

Communication and Travel:
Cell phone providers are on campus the first 2 weeks, and almost all students get a phone/minutes for convenience of communication. Plans are available but pay as you go is the favorite among students, as minutes here comprise of actual minutes. For instance, a 20 second call will count as a 20 second call not a minute. As I mentioned above, you can bring a smartphones that’s unlocked or could be unlocked. Phone calls to the states can be made via international calling cards that give very reasonable rates. Other options that I can think of are magic jack, vonage[app on smartphone allows for free calling over wifi connection to any US number], and skype [if you want to pay ~$4/month]. You can use your local number to place calls directly but the charges are a lot higher, so that’s not advisable if not an emergency. The buses on campus provide transportation to several areas. http://etalk.sgu.edu/contribute/sgubulletin/BusSchedules.htm You can also take cabs, but don’t let them charge you a lot.

Other random pieces of information:

Take advantage of the free tours during orientation week to freshen up before school starts and to make friends. Its very important to get a hobby whether that’s working out at the gym, running, playing IM sports with various clubs, or just going to the beach [conveniently the bus takes u there and brings u back]

If your parents are planning to visit with you before the family weekend is offered by the school, make sure to find them decent living accommodations. The top rated resorts will offer cheap rates if you reserve early enough. Many of the hotels are situated on hills/slopes so inquire about that before booking [my parents had a very hard time walking up and down steep slopes and stairs].

Carry cash because many places don’t take cards, or only accept cards after a certain amount is left.

The locals are very friendly but that doesn’t mean that you should go jogging at odd hours. You will be reminded of similar things a lot when you arrive.

Bring a water filter jug, even though the campus water is filtered.
If you have to pay $40 for a second bag when you come here, I would suggest doing that and bringing even the smallest convenience items because they will be worth it [ you are going to be here for a while]

It might take a while before you can fully grasp the English spoken by the locals, but don’t be shy and just ask “what was that you said?” and soon enough you will start speaking like the locals do.

To get more things to fit into your bag, try using a space bag, it compresses your pillows and clothes really well, and can be used with any vacuum.

Before you come to the island, try to have a printout of the campus map. They tell you where your dorm is if you’re a first termer right outside the airport doors and assign you to a taxi. However, a lot of taxi drivers don’t know where the dorm is, so if you have the map, you can tell them yourself and not waste any time.

WELCOME TO THE ISLAND OF SPICE!

Members don't see this ad.

I second all of this. Good stuff.

The only thing I would emphasize/add: Make sure you have directions to give to the taxi drivers from the airport. I live off-campus the first term, and my driver had no idea where my apartment was located, even though the area is small and only consists of about 4 main roads. Get directions beforehand.

Don't arrive too early. I got down here 2 weeks early before Carnival, and I couldn't get anything done (no books, no ID, no buses, etc).

Also, keep your travel documents organized and within easy reach the first few days you're here. You'll need your acceptance letter to get on campus, open a local bank account, get through customs, etc. Keep it organized.

I noticed you said to bring an ethernet cable. The campus has wireless right? Do you need the ethernet cable to connect to internet in your apartment? Also how developed
is Grenada. Is it anything like the United States?

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed you said to bring an ethernet cable. The campus has wireless right? Do you need the ethernet cable to connect to internet in your apartment? Also how developed
is Grenada. Is it anything like the United States?

They're starting to make it available more in the dorm rooms but for the most part, you have to use ethernet while in the room, unless you use your laptop as a hotspot or a router (which I think is discouraged). All study spaces and many places outside now have wireless access though. It's basically just the dorm rooms without it.

Grenada is developed in a sense, but if you haven't been outside the US before there's a possibility you may be in for a culture shock if you have an extremely high standard of living. I wouldn't go anywhere and expect it to be like the United States.

On campus, your comfort of living will be comparable to that of decent undergraduate dorms in the US, with much better scenery. Decent food options either on campus or close-by, but the only chain-store brand is Subway.

I went to Dominica to check out the school there and after the exams all the students
meet at local bars and have parties or they have parties at the apartments. Is there a
part of Grenada to let loose a little. Maybe have a few drinks. Maybe a touristy part with hotels and clubs or bars?Are the students to scared to venture away from the campus?
I plan to spend 99% of my time studying but just curious what the environment is like.

I went to Dominica to check out the school there and after the exams all the students
meet at local bars and have parties or they have parties at the apartments. Is there a
part of Grenada to let loose a little. Maybe have a few drinks. Maybe a touristy part with hotels and clubs or bars?Are the students to scared to venture away from the campus?
I plan to spend 99% of my time studying but just curious what the environment is like.

I know that Dominica has gotten better over the years, but I was actually told last month by someone who also went to go visit Ross before making the decision to attend SGU that the environment at Ross doesn't compare to SGU. I would never compare the social scene in Grenada to somewhere in the US, but there are a few different places to go and relax/kick back. There are mid-range as well as some upscale hotel options available if family ever want to come down. Crime happens sometimes (usually petty theft like a break in & students are never hurt), but nobody is scared going about their business anywhere on the island. The people are friendly for the most part. There are a few different events set up by the student government group that attempt to make your time here a little bit more enjoyable.

Don't want to give the wrong impression of what goes on here since a large majority of your time should be spent studying, but just google "SGU Sandblast."

I've been trying to get a hold through email someone in admissions at St. George who can
answer some of my questions. I have a unique application and I am not coming straight out of undergraduate so I have a tons of questions on prereqs and MCAT and reporting schools. What is the best email address to use. I've tried the ones on the website and
have gotten no reply.

I've been trying to get a hold through email someone in admissions at St. George who can
answer some of my questions. I have a unique application and I am not coming straight out of undergraduate so I have a tons of questions on prereqs and MCAT and reporting schools. What is the best email address to use. I've tried the ones on the website and
have gotten no reply.

You should try contacting them over the phone.