SGU or apply to US schools again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsw4life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I completed by undergrad career from a top 20 college in 2009. I applied to 30 allopathic med schools in the summer of 2010 but did not get an interview with any school.

My stats
Overall GPA: 3.41
Sci GPA 3.26
MCAT first time 29 (12P, 7V, 10B, Q)
MCAT second time 28 (10P, 9V, 9B, Q)
Work: 1+ year public health research
Extracurriculars: International health volunteer work: 270 hours; Started international health program for 500 kids

I got accepted to SGU but am also interested in possibly reapplying again to US schools. My biggest concern is how much I would be limiting myself toward more competitive residencies by going to an international school.

Does anyone know if an SMP program or a one year MS program would be worth it? I guess given all of my MCAT scores and extracurriculars, will a raised GPA significantly strengthen my chances of getting into a US school?

The complication is I would start an SMP/one year master program this fall 2011 and apply this summer 2011. So my grades from the new classes would only show in December (which would be late in the app process).

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I was in your shoes last year. Applied broadly, had stats that weren't as competitive as I'd like and got accepted to SGU after no results from US MD programs. I ended up doing a masters program at Tulane instead. Applied broadly, interviewed at 2 schools, was accepted at Tulane and then just withdrew everywhere else.

In retrospect I wouldn't change a thing. I felt really positive about SGU last year, but now I have reservations. Perhaps IMG options will continue to be good investments. I'm not altogether convinced anymore.

Reapply. It's worth it. PM me if you have questions.

I'm an AUC student currently doing my core clinical rotations. I will comment on the general question about US vs. Caribbean - not SGU, since I haven't been there.

First and foremost, I think every caribbean grad will tell you that you should try to get into a program in the United States. There are several "hoops" that American grads do not have to jump through that we do - for example, we need ECFMG certification.

About the only "advantage" to being a Caribbean grad is the off-chance that you could prematch into a residency program - though this is not too common.

SGU and AUC both have very competitive USMLE scores and residency placements compared to the US. This is partly because both businesses are very good at preparing students, and partly because they are good at weeding out those who will probably not succeed. Caribbean schools have significantly more students who "fail out" than their American counterparts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I completed by undergrad career from a top 20 college in 2009. I applied to 30 allopathic med schools in the summer of 2010 but did not get an interview with any school.

My stats
Overall GPA: 3.41
Sci GPA 3.26
MCAT first time 29 (12P, 7V, 10B, Q)
MCAT second time 28 (10P, 9V, 9B, Q)
Work: 1+ year public health research
Extracurriculars: International health volunteer work: 270 hours; Started international health program for 500 kids

I got accepted to SGU but am also interested in possibly reapplying again to US schools. My biggest concern is how much I would be limiting myself toward more competitive residencies by going to an international school.

Does anyone know if an SMP program or a one year MS program would be worth it? I guess given all of my MCAT scores and extracurriculars, will a raised GPA significantly strengthen my chances of getting into a US school?

The complication is I would start an SMP/one year master program this fall 2011 and apply this summer 2011. So my grades from the new classes would only show in December (which would be late in the app process).

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!

Have you considered applying to US DO schools? With those stats you should almost certainly get an acceptance somewhere.

Have you considered applying to US DO schools? With those stats you should almost certainly get an acceptance somewhere.

I agree with this, as well. Unless, of course, you really want to be a MD. (there really is not a lot of difference beyond the title anymore)