SGU Requirements: Do I match up well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rapsfan13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. I'm trying to get some feedback regarding how well I match up with SGU's admission requirements. I have a 3.35 GPA (culmulative) and a 27 on the MCAT (BS:10 PS: 8 VR: 9, essay: O). Admissions at SGU have told me I meet the prereqs and that I should apply soon, however, I still feel as if my MCAT is a little weak (planning on doing it again in Sept and handing the marks in later). I've got a good amount of lab experience and tons of volunteer experience.

What's my chance for January admission? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine that you would get in, but you should do yourself a favour and try to raise your MCAT to the 34+ range and try to get into a US school one more time. Worst case scenario, you lose 6 months, but the benefits would be worth it if you were to be accepted.

Hey folks. I'm trying to get some feedback regarding how well I match up with SGU's admission requirements. I have a 3.35 GPA (culmulative) and a 27 on the MCAT (BS:10 PS: 8 VR: 9, essay: O). Admissions at SGU have told me I meet the prereqs and that I should apply soon, however, I still feel as if my MCAT is a little weak (planning on doing it again in Sept and handing the marks in later). I've got a good amount of lab experience and tons of volunteer experience.

What's my chance for January admission? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually, I haven't applied anywhere else. I did get into a couple of very good grad schools, as that was my main focus. Also, I'm from Canada (graduated from McGill as well!) and wasn't really looking to apply to the States. While I'm perfectly fine doing another MCAT, I'd much rather not have to waste another six months as I'm still uneasy about my GPA with US med schools.

I am by no means against going to the States...its just that from the stats I've seen, I doubt I'd get into schools that I end up picking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, considering that you also graduated from McGill, I would recommend applying to McGill (if you are a Quebec resident) because QC residents have an excellent chance due to the low number of people that apply.

If you're from Ontario then SGU would be a great option because we both know how difficult it is to get into a Canadian school and American schools usually require "international" students to be more competitive to gain one of the few spots they offer.

You measure up just fine. I have been accepted for Jan. 2008 & am almost sure you would get in if your LOR's are decent, you interview average or better and have a few ECs. My advice would be to apply now. I originally applied for Aug. and just yesterday got a letter saying I'm #80 on the AUG waitlist. I bet > 60 of those will roll over to Jan. Good luck!

You measure up just fine. I have been accepted for Jan. 2008 & am almost sure you would get in if your LOR's are decent, you interview average or better and have a few ECs. My advice would be to apply now. I originally applied for Aug. and just yesterday got a letter saying I'm #80 on the AUG waitlist. I bet > 60 of those will roll over to Jan. Good luck!

When did you interview?

I interviewed in late May. It was in Atlanta and definitely the coolest interviewer I have ever had for anything, part-time jobs included. It was 3 or 4 weeks after the interview that I was told I was on the waitlist for Aug. and got in for Jan. I submitted my app in late March which is approximately 5 months before school starts and obviously that was too late. If any of you are going to try for Jan. and haven't applied do it by the end of this month; SGU processing, deciding on interviews, scheduling the interview, post interview decision etc. takes more time than you think. I had a 29Q MCAT and 3.45 GPA, applied 5 months prior and am way down on the Aug. waitlist.

If anyone has good stats- such as at least a 26 MCAT, good LORs and some decent ECs and feels they get very nervous or do not interview very well ask to be interviewed in Atlanta. PM if you want to know details...obviously the interview is very easy and laid back...at the very worst it will not hurt your chances. I interview well and almost felt cheated that I didn't get to give many good answers but the lack of stress during the interview and getting accepted made it better in the end. If you are below average MCAT or significantly below on GPA take the interview as a chance to make up the flaw(s) you display on your application. Hope this helps guys. I shall see many of you on the island!