SGU residencies... am i missing something?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jw123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everybody, i was looking at a list of residency matches for SGU and I couldn't help but notice how many good residency and specialty matches I saw... i saw several at baylor, loyola, and others... isn't this semi contradictory to what is said on these forums about carribean schools? people seem to say that you can only get IM or FP and that its incredibly hard if your an IMG. is there something that i'm missing here or something that these stats don't tell you?

Thanks for the responses

Members don't see this ad.

What you are missing is people's inherent bias...haha

And the people that don't match.. you dont see them listed there.:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to pass internal exams to take step 1. Those who pass have what it takes to succeed. In other words, those who have the talent and have workd hard enough will move on.

The list proves that if you can make it, then you can get a great resiency. Unfortunately, a lot of your classmates may not make it. It could even be you.

hey everybody, i was looking at a list of residency matches for SGU and I couldn't help but notice how many good residency and specialty matches I saw... i saw several at baylor, loyola, and others... isn't this semi contradictory to what is said on these forums about carribean schools? people seem to say that you can only get IM or FP and that its incredibly hard if your an IMG. is there something that i'm missing here or something that these stats don't tell you?

Thanks for the responses

SGU is probably the highest regarded of the carribean schools. With 450 students you should expect a bunch will get into well known programs.

The percentage of grads from SGU getting into highly competitive specialties is still very, very low when compared to their mainland counterparts. If you count the numbers, even with 3x the graduates they still put out fewer into the competitive specialties.

So while it is not impossible to get a competitive residency, I do think it is harder than if you came from the mainland. You have to be that much better to get the same residency slot.

As you go down the tier of carribean schools you will find that the match rate will go down pretty drastically.

Agree w/the above posts.
Also, Baylor, although an excellent academic institution, has had some problems in recent years. They lost their main teaching hospital, etc. They tend to have to rotate at a lot of different hospitals, which can be somewhat of a pain the butt if you are a resident, and may discourage some potential residents.

There is no such thing as a highly regarded Carib school when it comes to residency. Only SGU students spread that rumor to make themselves feel better for being in the Caribbean.

There are four schools that can get licensed all 50 states and then there are the rest of the Carib schools.

SGU/AUC/Ross/Saba are no joke. They are difficult and they are fast paced. Add to that the fact that weaker students (for whatever reason) are attending and you have a situation where some people do well, some survive, some struggle and some sink.

Props to the US/Canadian students who made it to LCME schools. But you wold be surprised at the amount of work and lack of support Carib students deal with just to prove they are equal.

How many go unmatched?

Their match rate is in the mid or high 90s.

Once again, the people who do not pass internal exams at the end of basic sciences cannot take the step, so only the ones who can pass take step1 ...ergo.. high chance of matching.

SGU is the best Caribbean school to go to, and you will have the best chance of getting a great residency. I'm not saying you can't go to the other Caribbean schools and get a great residency, but I truly believe that SGU sets you up the best. Speaking of Baylor, I have a buddy there doing anesthiesiology, which is not easy to get (he did have good USMLE scores). You can find him on the 2007 list, where he matched in General Surgery (also hard to get) at Albany, then went to Baylor for PGY-2.

Thanks for the responses

I'll also tell you that there is a 100 percent chance that McGillGrad is going to get on here and start saying negative things about me or SGU (this is because he goes to a rival school, which is decent, but still inferior). SGU has the best stats out of all Caribbean schools as well. I posted this in another forum:
There was a study done on first time pass rates from Caribbean schools:
Acad Med. 2008;83(10 Suppl):S33-S36
They looked at each country in the Caribbean (Grenada = SGU, Dominca = Ross) that has a medical school. Over the last 15 years, first time USMLE Step 1 pass rates (%) and first time USMLE Step 2 CK pass rates (%), and first time USMLE Step 2 CS pass rates (%) have been reported.
USMLE Step 1 :SGU: 84.4 Ross: 69.7 All others: less
USMLE Step 2 CK: SGU: 79.7 Ross: 70.6 All other less
USMLE Step 2 CS: SGU 94.0 Ross: 90.9 All others less
I should note that when I say "all others" I am referring to all the other ones that US students consider when going to the Carribean (St. Matthews, Saba, AUC, etc..). I should also note that according to SGU, over the last 10 years SGU has a first time USMLE Step one pass rate of 90 percent. One year SGU actually beat the US average!

And do not let McGill grad try and put a spin on anything. The best thing to do is interpret the results yourself, and you be the judge!

Thanks for the responses

Last edited:
SGU first time USMLE pass rate over the last 10 years averaged 90%. The overall USMLE pass rate is 99%.

Also, 99%+ of SGU's eligible US graduates who applied obtained ACGME-approved positions in over 650 hospitals throughout 50 states. Graduates have obtained everything from IM to Derm. Essentially, eligible US graduates means they have graduated and passed USMLE step 1 and 2. Yes, they must pass the internal exam (either after first year or second year, so get your facts straight McGillGrad), but believe me, they are much easier than USMLE. (See attrition rate below)

So what about attrition rate? According to the website (which McGillGrad will kindly post for you), the SGU attrition rate is roughly 14%. For all intents and purposes, it's really 7% because half of those 14% end up transferring into US schools. I seriously doubt that any of the other Caribbean schools can say that 7% of their students are able to transfer to US schools.

Now, someone please tell me about another Caribbean school that has those stats?? I do not even think any of the other Caribbean schools disclose that info. If they do, I would like to know. The fact that many of these schools do not even require an MCAT speaks for itself. Many of these schools will accept someone with any GPA, or any MCAT score. SGU average for accepted students is about 3.3-3.4 GPA and 26 MCAT. That is not that far off from some US schools.

And you know what? Even if you throw out all of what I just said, the campus of SGU is beautiful; everything is state of the art. I don't care if its the lecture halls, labs, dorms, whatever. State of the art!!

Oh SGU has the most clinical centers (so you can do all of your 3rd and 4th year rotations in one location, as opposed to many of the other schools where you have to move around the country). SGU just completed a deal with HHC hospitals in NY, a $100 million dollar contract over 10 years. SGU has always had enough clinical spots for their students. Now they have that many more and essentially eliminating spots from some of the other Caribbean schools.

But I am only trying to help you. I would give the same advice to my own brother (obviously I would tell him to get into a US school if he can).

I would say get into SGU if you can. If not, Ross, Saba, and AUC would be adequate backups. But instead of listening to me, or McGillGrad for that matter, call and get info on the individual school you are considering. Ask the appropriate questions (like the topics I mentioned). I tried calling Ross, it seems like they never answer the phone, so good luck with that.

You have to pass internal exams to take step 1. Those who pass have what it takes to succeed. In other words, those who have the talent and have workd hard enough will move on.

The list proves that if you can make it, then you can get a great resiency. Unfortunately, a lot of your classmates may not make it. It could even be you.

So what about attrition rate? According to the website (which McGillGrad will kindly post for you), the SGU attrition rate is roughly 14%. For all intents and purposes, it's really 7% because half of those 14% end up transferring into US schools. I seriously doubt that any of the other Caribbean schools can say that 7% of their students are able to transfer to US schools.

What are the criteria for transfer eligibility? Top of the class only? And how many actually try to transfer? Do most transfers occur after 1st year? In other words, how does the whole transfer thing work?

What are the criteria for transfer eligibility? Top of the class only? And how many actually try to transfer? Do most transfers occur after 1st year? In other words, how does the whole transfer thing work?

Many people hope against hope that they can make it nd it comes down to two importan factors.

The first is your home state and their policies concerning in-state students. Secondly, it depends on your timing. Since LCME schools take students once a year, you have to be prepared with yout step 1 score before the deadline.

You also have to factor in the dumb luck of applying when spots happen to open up and your qualities as an applicant. It has been done a lot, but I suspect (but do not care enough to investigate) that many of those transfers are actually people starting SGU while still waiting to hear from US schools and leaving when they are accepted in the US.