SGU student, got step 1 score today!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD Dreams

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS III SGU student. I got my step I score today.

PASS

I hope this gives someone out there some encouragement.

God's will, our effort.

All the best.

Members don't see this ad.

MD Dreams said:

PASS

God's will, our effort.

All the best.

Nice work!!!
Could you maybe share with us which study materials you used.
A list and a few comments would do.

The single best study aid for me was First Aid For Step I. I believe that if you know the contents of this book, you know most of the material that will be encountered in the test. However, this book does not explain the concepts behind the information. It is assumed that one learned the concepts in medical school. Thus it is good if you already feel comfortable with the theory (ex. how the CV works, V/Q ratios and their significance, etc.) and you just want a source to give you a focus on what you need to study.

I did take the Kaplan class and some of the teachers were really good. I believe it did help me get a higher score by clarifying some of the subjects I did not understand. However, a lot of the "tricks" that they taught can be found in first aid. I do NOT recommend the Kaplan books for studying. They are way too detailed!

I also answered 90% of the questions on Q-bank, and read the answers on the ones I did not know, and sometimes on the ones I did. However, I thought Q-bank was harder than the real test and I got a 68%, so don't get discouraged.

I also answered all the questions in the Kaplan Q book. I like the majority of these questions, I do recommend this book.

I also did some questions from WebPath, but I'm not sure how much this helped me. If you have extra time, it's a good thing, but not if you are in a time crunch.

I had A LOT of pharmacology on my test, which was good for me because that was one of my strong points. There were also a fair number of molecular biology and molecular biology techniques. There were really no straight path questions, they were almost all pathophysiology. Know your cAMP, etc.

If you have prepared well, you will find that the test is in no way overwhelming. I found most of the test to be rather fair. I was dissappointed by two things, however. First, compared to the amount of material one learns in medical school, step 1 tests a very small proportion of that. Second, about 10% of the questions will be things you have never seen, and they will not necessarily be things that you can reason through. I had a lot of skin questions on my test, and very little skin pathology was emphasized in my education. For example, I had one question were they showed the face of a young man with mild acne, and they talked about him having some kind of a neurological condition (although not clear like I have wrote). Then they asked what drug was he taking. The answer was Lithium, it can cause acne. I thought this was a subtle point but I guess they didn't.

One other thing I recommend, go see the site before your test date. Ask them were the bathroom is, where the lockers are, check out the temp. to see if you need a sweater and make sure you know the way to the center. Make sure you have enough gas in your car. Take 2-3 powerbars with you and a couple of bottles of water, plus some healthy snacks and some light food. I did 2 blocks at a time and then I would take a short break to use the restroom and eat something and drink to keep my energy up. Also, if you are very nervous the week before the exam, don't hesitate to see a doctor to give you some low dose benzos, they can make a world of difference.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention that you should also do the NBME questions. They are very similar to the real thing and the score is also a good indication of the score you can expect on the real test.

I also had a lot of behavioral science questions, they were mostly of the type that asked "what should the physician do next."

Congrats!

That is a great score. Thanks for the studying information, too.

How long did you study?

Thanks.

If you include the Kaplan class (which was six weeks) 2.5 months, however, I started being less efficient towards the end and could have probably done similar had I taken a bit earlier.

MD Dreams said:
The single best study aid for me was First Aid For Step I. I believe that if you know the contents of this book, you know most of the material that will be encountered in the test. However, this book does not explain the concepts behind the information. It is assumed that one learned the concepts in medical school. Thus it is good if you already feel comfortable with the theory (ex. how the CV works, V/Q ratios and their significance, etc.) and you just want a source to give you a focus on what you need to study.

I did take the Kaplan class and some of the teachers were really good. I believe it did help me get a higher score by clarifying some of the subjects I did not understand. However, a lot of the "tricks" that they taught can be found in first aid. I do NOT recommend the Kaplan books for studying. They are way too detailed!

I also answered 90% of the questions on Q-bank, and read the answers on the ones I did not know, and sometimes on the ones I did. However, I thought Q-bank was harder than the real test and I got a 68%, so don't get discouraged.

I also answered all the questions in the Kaplan Q book. I like the majority of these questions, I do recommend this book.

I also did some questions from WebPath, but I'm not sure how much this helped me. If you have extra time, it's a good thing, but not if you are in a time crunch.

I had A LOT of pharmacology on my test, which was good for me because that was one of my strong points. There were also a fair number of molecular biology and molecular biology techniques. There were really no straight path questions, they were almost all pathophysiology. Know your cAMP, etc.

If you have prepared well, you will find that the test is in no way overwhelming. I found most of the test to be rather fair. I was dissappointed by two things, however. First, compared to the amount of material one learns in medical school, step 1 tests a very small proportion of that. Second, about 10% of the questions will be things you have never seen, and they will not necessarily be things that you can reason through. I had a lot of skin questions on my test, and very little skin pathology was emphasized in my education. For example, I had one question were they showed the face of a young man with mild acne, and they talked about him having some kind of a neurological condition (although not clear like I have wrote). Then they asked what drug was he taking. The answer was Lithium, it can cause acne. I thought this was a subtle point but I guess they didn't.

One other thing I recommend, go see the site before your test date. Ask them were the bathroom is, where the lockers are, check out the temp. to see if you need a sweater and make sure you know the way to the center. Make sure you have enough gas in your car. Take 2-3 powerbars with you and a couple of bottles of water, plus some healthy snacks and some light food. I did 2 blocks at a time and then I would take a short break to use the restroom and eat something and drink to keep my energy up. Also, if you are very nervous the week before the exam, don't hesitate to see a doctor to give you some low dose benzos, they can make a world of difference.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the info MD Dreams! All the best!!!

MD Dreams said:

PASS

God's will, our effort.

All the best.

Excellent work!

Where are you doing your clinicals? I was at LICH in Brooklyn. PM me if you have any questions/concerns.

--Brian
MS-IV, SGUSOM

MD Dreams said:

PASS

God's will, our effort.

All the best.

Hi all,
Im a premed here in the US and I have heard many things about St.George along with many other foreign medical schools. There 've been rumors oh how going to medical schools in the Carribean carrying stigma once you're in residency, that you wont get your choices of desirable residencies, that you'd have a hard time finding a right residency at a good hospitals..etc..Im really confused and usure of what is true and what is not. Since you all are in a foreign medical school, would you mind to share your opinion on those topics above and your experiences too, perhaps :confused: ? Thank you very much and good luck with your career!

alphahelix said:
Hi all,
Im a premed here in the US and I have heard many things about St.George along with many other foreign medical schools. There 've been rumors oh how going to medical schools in the Carribean carrying stigma once you're in residency, that you wont get your choices of desirable residencies, that you'd have a hard time finding a right residency at a good hospitals..etc..Im really confused and usure of what is true and what is not. Since you all are in a foreign medical school, would you mind to share your opinion on those topics above and your experiences too, perhaps :confused: ? Thank you very much and good luck with your career!

By and large, students from SGU tend to secure competitive residencies. However, being from SGU (or other Caribbean school) does put you at a certain disadvantage, especially for the ultra-competitive specialties (ortho, dermatology, radiation oncology, surgery, ENT, ophtho). That's not to say that students in the past haven't secured residencies in these fields--they have--but that is the exception rather than the rule.

Our students did very well in the previous match; visit www.sgu.edu and click the link on the home page. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Brian
MS-IV, St. George's University School of Medicine

Good job on the score md dreams! Quick question for you guys, why do you have 2 scores for step 1? And what is it out of? I'm guessing the 97 is out of 100, so that's definitely awesome, but could someone pls fill me in about the 240? Thanks!

MD-iwish said:
Good job on the score md dreams! Quick question for you guys, why do you have 2 scores for step 1? And what is it out of? I'm guessing the 97 is out of 100, so that's definitely awesome, but could someone pls fill me in about the 240? Thanks!

Step I and Step II CK score reports give you two numbers: the 3 digit is a scaled score; 182 is the minimum passing (for step I), while the 2 digit number just converts the 3 digit score to a relative percentage (i.e., a score of 182 is equivalent to a 75).

It's a little confusing. Personally, I'm happy if I see the words "PASS", which is also included in the score report! ;)

Hey Congrats on the 240! Its nice to hear SGU peeps working hard and attaining great usmle scores. Good luck in clinicals!

Berk