Aug 3, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
For those considering AUC vs SGU, below I have provided some information regarding debt load, graduation rate, etc. Deciding to go the Caribbean for med school is a complex decision. This is just 1 piece of the puzzle. In making your decision, keep in mind the current situation SGU is in regarding accreditation compared to AUC. AUC is currently in good standing with ECFMG/WFME. For prospective students (Class 2025 and beyond), at this time SGU is not in good standing with ECFMG/WFME.

It is tough to gain an accurate estimation of the attrition rate at either of these programs from the data. But according to the US government, ~64% of US students complete their medical education on time at AUC; 77% of US students complete their medical education on time at SGU.

Last edited:

the argus

5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
It is tough to gain an accurate estimation of the attrition rate at either of these programs from the data. But according to the US government, ~64% of US students complete their medical education on time at AUC; 77% of US students complete their medical education on time at SGU.
The "finish on time" argument is tricky when it comes to AUC (and Ross). Both schools start new matriculants 3 times per year. Only people that start in the fall semester are "on track" when it comes to applying for and starting residency in the US.

People that start during the other 2 times must either accelerate, which is extremely difficult to do, or extend their medical school in order to not have a large gap between when they finish school and start residency. Many students extend their clinical rotations, i.e. put in gaps between their rotations, in order to extend out their clinical years to get "on track" in terms of applying for residency. These people often take longer than 4 years to finish school, and hence do not "finish on time," but in reality did this for logistical issues rather than having to repeat, etc.

I started off track at Ross, did not extend my rotations, and therefore finished within 4 years but was then left with ~7 months between when I finished school and started residency. While it made traveling for residency interviews easy, it was very difficult to find a job for that time. There's really no job market for a medical degree without residency training.

Reactions: 1 users

Splenda88

2+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
For those considering AUC vs SGU, below I have provided some information regarding debt load, graduation rate, etc. Deciding to go the Caribbean for med school is a complex decision. This is just 1 piece of the puzzle. In making your decision, keep in mind the current situation SGU is in regarding accreditation compared to AUC. AUC is currently in good standing with ECFMG/WFME. For prospective students (Class 2025 and beyond), at this time SGU is not in good standing with ECFMG/WFME.

They aren't the best attrition rate but they are not atrocious as SDN would make people believe...

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Osminog

2+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2017
Pacific Ocean
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
That’s not what the data states

The tables in the links you shared in your original post don’t include data on students who didn’t graduate. The percentages are based on the number out students who graduated on time out of total number of students who graduated. Read what the tables say.

If you have data on the attrition rates of these schools, feel free to post some links. So far, all we know is that ~1/3 of the people who are lucky enough to survive on the island aren’t able to graduate on time.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.