SGU vs AUC vs Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peaches727

Reaction score
I am posting this for advice. I hope to not get much backlash for IMGs. I am exploring my options and have exhausted some. I hope to recieve geniune advice. I have been accepted to AUC, interviewed at Ross expecting an acceptance to term or MERP, and SGU said retake MCAT.
What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get any feedback from US schools?
Still have been waiting, nothing yet. I am assuming I won't get anything. However, I am planning on just reserving a safe seat and will drop if I hear anything. However, I do not believe I will.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your gpa/mcat? You should exhaust all your options in the US before going to the caribbeans. Even then, you should think about other fields before trying this route.

My GPA is not the best lie I had stated the personal issues that affected my undergraduate experience. My MCAT is decent. I am actually quite passion for the field and path so I do not mind taking this route if that is all I have left.

It's kinda hard to give you guidance if you don't share your gpa and mcat. You don't have to give your exact gpa/mcat. Just give us a range of your overall gpa, science gpa and mcat. Likely, there are alternatives to your situation. Ex: overall gpa: 3.5-3.6 science gpa: 3.4-3.5. MCAT: 510-512

Nonetheless, it's not advisable to go to the caribbean if your gpa is not the greatest. You're at risk of failing out because the attrition rate (weed out rate) is high especially during the first semester. You need to ask yourself, what fundamental changes have you made to avoid the same mistakes from happening again. What will prove your current academic record wrong? As of right now, just hearing your gpa is worrisome. Unless, you've changed something drastically, going to the caribbeans shouldn't be an option. Making the same mistakes you did in undergrad will be trouble. On top of that, going to the caribbeans will make your journey to become a physician a lot harder than being in the states.

Reactions: 1 user
My GPA is not the best lie I had stated the personal issues that affected my undergraduate experience. My MCAT is decent. I am actually quite passion for the field and path so I do not mind taking this route if that is all I have left.

yes please let us know your real gpa, dont need to be shy. its only gonna help us give you the best advice

My science GPA 2.8. MCAT 490. Additionally, please do not recommend any career change considerations. All other advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

My science GPA 2.8. MCAT 490. Additionally, please do not recommend any career change considerations. All other advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
Definitely, you should look into doing a post bac. With that gpa, you should find a way to fix your studying habits because with that gpa, you are at high risk of failing out in your first semester at any caribbean med school + US ones too. With a good performance in the post bac + a better retake of the mcat, you can score an II at DO med schools and maybe even US MD if you do well enough.

You should really exhaust all your options in the US first before trying other paths. US MD/DO had a 99% match rate after soap, while most caribbean med schools can't even match that. Their website's wording on their match is very tricky and can be misleading. It's not 100% false but not 100% true either. It's how they play with the wording to make it seem like it's better than it really is but it's somewhat the "truth" ish

Last edited: