SGU vs Reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ARose375

Reaction score
Hello everyone. So during the Fall 2022 cycle, I applied to four schools: Midwestern, Tennessee, St. Georges's and Georgia. I was outwardly rejected from Georgia and Midwestern. However, I was waitlisted at Tennessee( in state) and accepted in St. George's for the January 2023 enrollment. I have a 3.3 cumulative G.P.A and I graduate in May. Should I just accept the St. George's offer or try to reapply in Fall 2022 with more schools. I am partially nervous about moving into an entirely different country. This next cycle, I would apply to more holistic schools such as Tuskegee, Western, LMU, etc. What would be the best course of action? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. So during the Fall 2022 cycle, I applied to four schools: Midwestern, Tennessee, St. Georges's and Georgia. I was outwardly rejected from Georgia and Midwestern. However, I was waitlisted at Tennessee( in state) and accepted in St. George's for the January 2023 enrollment. I have a 3.3 cumulative G.P.A and I graduate in May. Should I just accept the St. George's offer or try to reapply in Fall 2022 with more schools. I am partially nervous about moving into an entirely different country. This next cycle, I would apply to more holistic schools such as Tuskegee, Western, LMU, etc. What would be the best course of action? Thank you in advance!
It’s up to you if you want to wait a year, take the chance that you might not get into other school and spend extra money on applying to schools that you didn’t need to (which is not cheap!). There’s a template but you can post in WAMC (what are my chances) for individuals to give advice on where to improve. If you’re able to retake courses or take more courses to try and get your GPA up or get your last 45 up that would be good. There are some schools that focus more on specific GPAs (ie science gpa vs last 45 etc). There really isn’t a best course of action and is based on you. Would you be ok with going to St George and how their program works? If you do decide to reapply, do file reviews at schools you can and get info on what you can improve on. Expanding your application pool is one thing but you have to improve something to make it more likely you will get accepted. I can’t speak about what you can improve on in regard to experiences etc since you have not included that info but gaining more diverse experiences is always better!

Last edited:
I was in the same boat, I decided to defer to fall 2023 so I can reapply to US schools, and still have the option to go to school to be a vet if all else fails. You would still have to pay the $400 deposit.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s up to you if you want to wait a year, take the chance that you might not get into other school and spend extra money on applying to schools that you didn’t need to (which is not cheap!). There’s a template but you can post in WAMC (what are my chances) for individuals to give advice on where to improve. If you’re able to retake courses or take more courses to try and get your GPA up or get your last 45 up that would be good. There are some schools that focus more on specific GPAs (ie science gpa vs last 45 etc). There really isn’t a best course of action and is based on you. Would you be ok with going to St George and how their program works? If you do decide to reapply, do file reviews at schools you can and get info on what you can improve on. Expanding your application pool is one thing but you have to improve something to make it more likely you will get accepted. I can’t speak about what you can improve on in regard to experiences etc since you have not included that info but gaining more diverse experiences is always better!
Thank you! I have about 600 hours working as a veterinary assistant, 250 hours of working as an equine intern, and about 500 hours conducting research with iguanas at a zoo. Do you think my experience can make up for my GPA?

I was in the same boat, I decided to defer to fall 2023 so I can reapply to US schools, and still have the option to go to school to be a vet if all else fails. You would still have to pay the $400 deposit.
What is the process for this? Would I send an email or contact my admissions counselor? Thank you in advance!

Thank you! I have about 600 hours working as a veterinary assistant, 250 hours of working as an equine intern, and about 500 hours conducting research with iguanas at a zoo. Do you think my experience can make up for my GPA?
It really depends on the school and how they conduct admissions decisions. How I was explained it by an admissions officer is that a lot of applicants have 1000s of vet experience hours so you have to somehow compete with that. Of course it does not mean you can’t get accepted because you don’t meet that number of hours or that the number of hours you have isn’t enough. You have a good variety of experiences - if you want to reapply you need to make sure that if some area of your application is lacking that other portions can possibly make up for it (ie glowing ELORs, amazing essays) and just tailor the schools you are applying to to what your application strong suits are.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the process for this? Would I send an email or contact my admissions counselor? Thank you in advance!
You would email Krista and say you'd like to defer to Fall 2023, pay your deposit and sign your acknowledgement form

I had a similar GPA and got accepted outright at Western and off the waitlist and Mississippi, though I'm not sure where all your experience hours lie and how your full academic/employment/volunteer history equates. I think deferring is a good option if your comfortable knowing that you'll lose the deposit if you get in to a school you prefer!

Reactions: 1 user