SGU vs SABA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRWHY

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My situation: I was accepted at both, SGU and SABA (actually, I was accepted at AUC and ROSS too, but decided to declined these right away)

I think I have pretty good knowledge about both islands, so that is not the major point in the decision. I also know how much each of them cost and that is why reading a lot of posts on this and other web sites where people saying "that if money would not be an object I would of went SGU" I would like to know the real reasons as of today, why would you choose SGU over SABA?
I mean, SABA for the past few years became well known medical school, has all states approval (OK, maybe some glitches with TX, but I could care less, I am from New England), much safer island, small class size, much cheaper and so far and so on..... Personally, I like SABA more and admission people are much nicer (not just nicer, but like black and white in my case)!
But, maybe I am missing something? So please tell me why you guys saying that you would choose SGU over SABA?
Thanks in advance and all responses would be greatly appreciated.:)

Members don't see this ad.

go with ur gut....intuition is under-rated

My situation: I was accepted at both, SGU and SABA (actually, I was accepted at AUC and ROSS too, but decided to declined these right away)

I think I have pretty good knowledge about both islands, so that is not the major point in the decision. I also know how much each of them cost and that is why reading a lot of posts on this and other web sites where people saying "that if money would not be an object I would of went SGU" I would like to know the real reasons as of today, why would you choose SGU over SABA?
I mean, SABA for the past few years became well known medical school, has all states approval (OK, maybe some glitches with TX, but I could care less, I am from New England), much safer island, small class size, much cheaper and so far and so on..... Personally, I like SABA more and admission people are much nicer (not just nicer, but like black and white in my case)!
But, maybe I am missing something? So please tell me why you guys saying that you would choose SGU over SABA?
Thanks in advance and all responses would be greatly appreciated.:)

I was in the same boat as you, I got into SGU, Ross and Saba. You can't go wrong any of those 3 because they all produce great doctors. I picked Saba because I liked the idea of small classes and low tuition. I personally have a hard time with huge classes so Saba was (is) perfect for me. Its really what you want during your time, remember its a pretty short stay, Saba is 20 months, SGU is 24 and I believe ross is 16. So what I'm saying is look at what matters to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same boat: I like small class size, small/safe island and just love the idea that I can graduate a school and get an MD with no debt (my mother has the money:D). So it seems that SABA has mostly everything I need (yeh, I do not thrilled about water conservation:(, volcano island, hurricanes, etc. but that is not the end of the world for me!:))

BUT!
Maybe there is something at SGU I am not aware of that makes everyone want to get there?:confused:

I posted a question on another site and one person replied with the following statistics:
Saba has about 360 to 400 students in clinicals at any one point in time. here are the hospitals:
SABA University - www.saba.edu - international medical university college

Whereas SGU has 1,200 in clinicals. SGU has more NY and northeast teaching hospitals for the students to go to. While I was unable to find a list of the hospitals here is a link to clinical staff SGU has and the hospitals they are at.

Faculty and Administration - School of Medicine - St. George’s University

But if you divided the total number above (360 to 400 students in clinicals) on number of students at SABA class (60 per class), you will get actually lager number of students in clinicals rather than SGU (1200 divided by 350). Or I am using the numbers incorrectly?:confused:

Further, the same person said:
Being able to go to more hospitals during your clinical science part of school/education will give you more exposure and a chance of getting a better match for residency. When I first was looking into going to medical school I was not aware of this. The picture began to form in my mind that the clinical part of your education is the major difference between the school. AUC and SGU also have clinical rotation in England. These are very good. Saba does not list any in England. People I know say they learned tons more on their England clinical rotations than in the US hospitals. Something to consider.
First of, SABA does have clinicals in England, but I am not considering of going there anyway. And that is not something on what I would spend 80K more. But, I don't mind paying if find out that SGU has something it worth paying for.
So, again what am I missing here? :confused: Please help!
Thank in advance.

Grenada, where you'll spend terms 1-4 for SGU is a perfectly safe island if you practice common sense. Campus security abounds the compound and has more German Shepards than the entire police force. With the enormous number of students there at any one time and the small number of petty crimes (never heard of a violent crime against a student there), I'd venture to say that statistically it's safer than many large cities in the US.

The few instances of robberies that occur each semester usually involving a student walking along the roadside, usually alone and at night (and sometimes intoxicated). In the year and a half I was there, I believe there was only one attempted sexual assault, but not knowing the details I won't comment further on that one.

St Vincent, where the school ships you for terms 5/6 (4.5 months) is a little bit rougher around the collar. Most students are off campus, and burglaries are a much more common occurrence. Getting on campus housing or living in place that has burglar bars/door, security guard, and again common sense goes a long way. Personally, my apartment complex here has burglar bars and door, a night watchman, about 5 adopted dogs that bark at anyone they don't know, and a big machette under my bed which I normally use to open coconuts by the swimming pool. I feel as safe here as I did in Grenada.

As for why I chose SGU, mostly longevity of the school, and the good rep it has in the USA. Among many docs, conversations went like this:

"so I'm going to a Caribbean medical school.." "oh...." "It's SGU" "Oh, ok then. I've heard that's a good school".

I'd also never checked in to SABA quite honestly.

As for why I chose SGU, mostly longevity of the school, and the good rep it has in the USA. Among many docs, conversations went like this:

"so I'm going to a Caribbean medical school.." "oh...." "It's SGU" "Oh, ok then. I've heard that's a good school".

I'd also never checked in to SABA quite honestly.

On Grenada though you have rent an apartment if you won't win the lottery for the second semester, correct?

I agree with you when you are saying that Grenada is more safe than some of the US cities, BUT! The problem is, I never lived nor ever will be living in such cities and bars on the doors, police presence, dogs, etc. - this sound like very unsafe environment for me! Maybe because I was living in very safe towns in US. And if they have all that around the campus, I can only imagine how living out of campus is!

Just because a lot of people know SGU (most people I asked new SGU because they had to evacuate medical school students during the so called "revolution" in 70ties.
I am also hearing that SGU is a great school, but did not see anywhere nor can't find any explanation why?
I am not saying that it not! More over, I am still thinking maybe going there, but I really would like to hear something more convincing than a lot of people heard about it! especially considering the tuition.

I also did not understand your last statement about SABA? Could you care to elaborate?

See, I had a very good experience with SABA during my interview. They told me everything truthfully, even about TX being accepted on case-by-case basis. They introduced me to everyone, including the head of school and head of clinical. Hear of clinical told me that if I will be accepted to SGU, I should go there just because I would like to specialize, and SGU has more choices or something. Otherwise, he said SABA just as good. But, looking on match results, I see that numbers are pretty much the same as to how many students go into specializations from SGU vs. SABA percentage vise considering the number of admitted students.
SABA is much safer island than Gredana and especially St. Vincent! No food poisoning nor robberies there even if the intoxicated student will be walking alone the roan in the middle of the night.
I like the idea of being in small school where everybody knows who you are and what you are capable of.
And low tuition/no debt for me just could not be more perfect!
So, is there something else besides all above?
Thanks

Don't make this a Saba vs SGU thread. Both are very good and I would be a proud grad from either. You really can't go wrong with either. You might be able to fight over points between Saba vs Ross but as a whole any of the 4 are going to make you a MD.

All first termers are guaranteed on campus housing, and there is SO much housing that has now been built, you would have to get REALLY unlucky to not get housing throughout.

I think you're blowing up the crime in GDA in your mind more than it really is, or you just lack perspective. Safe vs unsafe is not a binary, yes no kind of decision. Campus security at night walks the campus (the campus is HUGE) with 2 dogs more as a preventative measure. I was friends with one of the guards and he said that in the 4 years he's been doing it, he's never had to use the dog. No place is free from crime. If you think you can walk your foreign intoxicated self alone, around in the middle of the night in any poor country (yes SABA is a poor island) you have some lessons to learn about society. Secondly, you honestly think that food poisoning does not happen in SABA? Are you serious? Please understand that there is a lot more to a school that what you read, and don't read on message boards.

What makes a school great is the level of product it puts out. Traditionally, SGU students have performed well when it comes to first time pass rates on Step 1, and yearly place in to competitive specialties. I'm sure that there are many other Caribbean schools that offer similar levels of excellence but having never even seeing them, I am unable to comment.

Like the other poster said, if you're looking for an SGU vs. SABA argument, you've come to the wrong place. I don't see how anyone can help you with that unless they've attended both schools. In my mind, you've already 99% made up your mind that you're going to SABA and I wish you well there. Just because one choice is good for you, doesn't mean you have to look for, or even invent reasons why the other is bad. Everyone has their own best fit.

And about SABA, I never even considered the school because I never even knew it existed.

Maybe there is something at SGU I am not aware of that makes everyone want to get there?:confused:

I posted a question on another site and one person replied with the following statistics:
Saba has about 360 to 400 students in clinicals at any one point in time. here are the hospitals:
SABA University - www.saba.edu - international medical university college

Whereas SGU has 1,200 in clinicals. SGU has more NY and northeast teaching hospitals for the students to go to. While I was unable to find a list of the hospitals here is a link to clinical staff SGU has and the hospitals they are at.

But if you divided the total number above (360 to 400 students in clinicals) on number of students at SABA class (60 per class), you will get actually lager number of students in clinicals rather than SGU (1200 divided by 350). Or I am using the numbers incorrectly?:confused:

Further, the same person said:
Being able to go to more hospitals during your clinical science part of school/education will give you more exposure and a chance of getting a better match for residency. When I first was looking into going to medical school I was not aware of this. The picture began to form in my mind that the clinical part of your education is the major difference between the school. AUC and SGU also have clinical rotation in England. These are very good. Saba does not list any in England. People I know say they learned tons more on their England clinical rotations than in the US hospitals. Something to consider.
First of, SABA does have clinicals in England, but I am not considering of going there anyway. And that is not something on what I would spend 80K more. But, I don't mind paying if find out that SGU has something it worth paying for.
So, again what am I missing here? :confused: Please help!
Thank in advance.
Hey since I was the one who posted this on the other forum. SGU only takes two classes a year (about 700-800 students) thus the 1200 in clinicals and Saba takes three classes a year Saba takes around 70 to 90 in the Fall semester about about 270 a year or 400-500 in clinicals Saba has a higher drop out/fail rate than SGU. Many students at Saba suffer island madness because it is so small also the medical school building is the size of the smallest building at the SGU complex.

When looking at a school you really want to consider the clinical part of the education. That is the most important part in my humble opinion. Saba does not have clinical centers like SGU and AUC. By the way Ross does not either. Next look very carefully at the two schools and where the students get into residency. SGU get more competitive residencies.

Your residency training is the most important part of your clinical medical education! Keep that thought in your head. It is great to save costs on going to medical school but not if it wounds your later opportunities at learning and advancement.

ALSO - very important - visit both islands and schools before you make your final decision. Trust me you will be glad you did!!!!

I keep hearing that SGU is not on a safe island. Can anyone please elaborate?
You know this is an interesting question. How safe is any place? The island SGU is one of the safer islands. You will always have the haves and the have not's anywhere you go. I live in Atlanta and know there are some really seedy areas here. Do I go to those places? No.
Same any where else on the planet. You can get mugged just about anywhere, how about the lady who was 101 in NY city. Does that make Columbia medical school not a safe place to go?

Your statement is incorrect. Talking to the current students/admission reps (well, only if they all are lying!) Saba NEVER takes around 70 to 90 in any semester. Usually less than 60.

If SABA according to you has a higher drop out/fail rate than SGU, - isn't that a good thing for those who left because than we have more clinical/residency spots?

In regards to your next statement "Many students at Saba suffer island madness because it is so small also the medical school building is the size of the smallest building at the SGU complex" - I actually strongly prefer, and that was one of the main reasons I even consider applying to SABA, small institutions/islands where everyone knows everyone. So, no problem here for me.

Finally, your last statement:
You know this is an interesting question. How safe is any place? The island SGU is one of the safer islands. You will always have the haves and the have not's anywhere you go. I live in Atlanta and know there are some really seedy areas here. Do I go to those places? No.
Same any where else on the planet. You can get mugged just about anywhere, how about the lady who was 101 in NY city. Does that make Columbia medical school not a safe place to go?

I am agree, but if it was Columbia, I would not ask all these questions!
Because it is not even close, but costs almost the same I am asking......

Your statement is incorrect. Talking to the current students/admission reps (well, only if they all are lying!) Saba NEVER takes around 70 to 90 in any semester. Usually less than 60.

If SABA according to you has a higher drop out/fail rate than SGU, - isn't that a good thing for those who left because than we have more clinical/residency spots?

In regards to your next statement "Many students at Saba suffer island madness because it is so small also the medical school building is the size of the smallest building at the SGU complex" - I actually strongly prefer, and that was one of the main reasons I even consider applying to SABA, small institutions/islands where everyone knows everyone. So, no problem here for me.

Finally, your last statement:

I am agree, but if it was Columbia, I would not ask all these questions!
Because it is not even close, but costs almost the same I am asking......

DRWHY said:
The so called average is suppose to be 60. However, my PM's with several students puts it higher. Who is tell the truth? I can only tell you from my site visit - I counted more students in lecture in the first semester than 60. I counted 87 people that day. Are they repeats, note takers, that I can't say. Most schools take more than publicly stated because they have attrition losses.

DRWHY said:
Iisn't that a good thing for those who left because than we have more clinical/residency spots?
Look at thie list they are small hospitals. Research is in the details. How many people are in the towns they have clinical sites like Houma, La? Not many look it up on the web. Gardener is good at keeping the students at sites - but they don't have teaching sites like SGU. Is it a level 1 trauma center? Go to Saba - go to SGU - see each school before you make a decision. PM advanced Saba and SGU student on VMD and when you do a site visit talk to them.

Both are good schools. On the VMD forums look under the St James forum for a thread "where you go makes a difference" about last summer time frame. Read it carefully. Then think about it!!! I did. I can't make your decision for you. Nor would I want to. What I can do is tell you to consider more than costs and a small school on a very, very small island...

You have to choose what feels good for you. My only suggestion is spend the money go to both islands talk as much as you can to the people.

Saba current student pop:
1st about 68
2nd about 71
3rd about 65
4th about 57
5th about 63

Saba always loses some here and there as with any medical school. Some fail out or some quit.

Hey It may sound like I am a bit negative on Saba. That is not true. I have several friends there. It is a good school. I guess more than anything, what I am suggesting is that you have narrowed your list down to two schools. Go visit them and make darn sure. I would do the same if it was US schools. Best wishes and good luck. Either school will do well for you!

Personally I think these "Which are Better threads" really annoying and do not help at all.

You know common sense tells you that the majority of us go to only one school and never have set foot in another, all we know about the others sometimes is what we are told by transfers and what is on the net............You think thats the best way to compare?

WHY do so many post XYZ verses YYZ ? why? How do you expect for us to tell you? WE REALLY DO NOT KNOW and in fact it ends up in a pissing contest mostly.

I love the ones who CHeerlead for a school, sometimes before the go there and then once there Uh they Bash at times, yeah they hate the school, like they fell in love until reality hit them there and now it's a money grubbing school that sucks the life out of you, truth is no school in the world operates to not make money, all collect tuition, if non profit they still need the money to pay professors and grow.

Go to a school you think is right for you and you will do well. Most of the schools can get you to the USMLE and can get you Licensed in most places.

:luck:

Personally I think these "Which are Better threads" really annoying and do not help at all....
I agree - the poster wants people in a public forum who could be trolls of the worst sort to make a life decision for them. Where is their personal responsibility? Then they can blame the other posters when it goes south for them?