Sgu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HippocratesX

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

My question is about St. George Univeristy SOM's drop-out rate. How many students drop out on a yearly basis? What are some of the problems associated with going to a carribean medical school? Is it difficult to get residency in surgery? For those of you who are currently carribean students, can you shed some light on your personal experiences and observations concerning the academics and common grievances? Are the facilities comparable to US med schools? How about the clinical rotations? Do you get stuck at hospitals that will not give you the full experience necessary to learn all you need to learn in clinical rotations? What's the island life experience like in Grenada? Is it distracting with the weather, and tourism? (I've never been to Grenada, so I'm not sure if its like the bahamas or other carribean islands?) I'd appreciate any and all feedback on the above questions. Thanks so much for your taking the time to answer some of my questions in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

One question at a time.

Most of those questions can be answered with a phone call to SGU or with a search of this board or the valuemd.com SGU board.

Don't be lazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
One question at a time.

Most of those questions can be answered with a phone call to SGU or with a search of this board or the valuemd.com SGU board.

Don't be lazy.

Thanks, but Its not a matter of being lazy. I have reviewed all those sights, but what I am looking for is information from a students' perspective. I have found answers to some of those questions, however, its not the same hearing it from www.sgu.edu as opposed to current or past students who can give you the information that's written in between the lines.

If you don't have anything informative to add (besides suggestions to look on websites), then don't add anything at all. Especially negative assumptions that i'm being lazy ;)

If you don't have anything informative to add (besides suggestions to look on websites), then don't add anything at all. Especially negative assumptions that i'm being lazy ;)

Seriously, you're super lazy and do not realize that the world does not revolve around you.
You should do some basic research before asking more specific questions.

For example, use the SEARCH button to find other student's opinions on all of the questions you asked. You could also contact the school to talk to current students.

Try one question at a time.

Seriously, you're super lazy and do not realize that the world does not revolve around you.

For example, use the SEARCH button to find other student's opinions on all of the questions you asked. You could also contact the school to talk to current students.

seriously man.. have some fiber.. hehehe

McGillGrad....first of all, kiss my ass. Seriously. Second of all, YOU dont have to answer ANY of my questions. You know nothing about me to sit there and spew condescending remarks about laziness. And in case you have trouble reading, my original post said thank you for answering ANY or all of my questions above. Perhaps you should work on your critical reading skills instead of getting your panties all in scrunch that I asked a few questions. I agree with the other poster...get some fiber or remove whatever metal rod is up you anus.

McGillGrad....first of all, kiss my ass. Seriously. Second of all, YOU dont have to answer ANY of my questions. You know nothing about me to sit there and spew condescending remarks about laziness. And in case you have trouble reading, my original post said thank you for answering ANY or all of my questions above. Perhaps you should work on your critical reading skills instead of getting your panties all in scrunch that I asked a few questions. I agree with the other poster...get some fiber or remove whatever metal rod is up you anus.

Wow heeeeyyyy don't drag me into this!!!!

Are you a lady.. are you okay looking, and if yes, lets talk about that ass kissing!!!!

Don't get too upset. Sometimes we all get aggressive... more so people like me. Don't get enough fiber.. so we get aggressive or moody. Just don't get overworked. Some people on here do post things that are easy to find.. and it gets very frustrating when people don't take initiative finding the info... I am not saying that about you.. I did not even read your original post.

I have a new quotation after my posts!

Is poor baby all upset because she did not get what she wants?

Nice temper tantrum:laugh:

Really mature of you, Paris.:love:

Is poor baby all upset because she did not get what she wants?

Nice temper tantrum:laugh:

Really mature of you, Paris.:love:

One mention of panties and you all think i'm a woman lol....wrong. Anyway, you obviously have wayyy too much time on your hands to be sitting here replying all day. Perhaps you'd better go back to studying for step 1 before you fail it for the umpteenth time, eh?...that is if you are indeed in medical school Seriously, I am through having a conversation with you.

Anyone else who might have something constructive to share, please do so. Thanx

I hate to admit it but this is the first time I've agreed with Mcgill. Yeah do a search about SGU, this has been rehashed a million times. But easy answer to your question is SGU is a great school and you will get the same education there as in the united states. I wouldnt worry about getting a surgery residency because you will probably change your mind by the time your done with clinicals (odds are you will).

SabaMed, thanks for your civil response...unlike some others on here who seem to have a difficult time "playing nice" with others.

So you mentioned something about changing my mind about surgery residencies after doing clinical rotations thru the carribean. Why is that? I'm curious as to why you mentioned that? Is the surgery rotation unlike that of the US schools?

Anyone know if SGU or SABA have recorded class lectures so students can listen to it instead of going to class.

Anyone know if SGU or SABA have recorded class lectures so students can listen to it instead of going to class.

At Saba you can't miss more than 7 or 8 classes total per term. Also no one records the lectures. With all schools you have some great professors and some that stink. Saba is no exception, some have these amazing backgrounds and knowledge but cant teach to save their lives. Id rather have a professor that lacks some knowledge but can teach the basic concepts for the long term than one that floods you with data that you dont need.