Shaddowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering ...

1. How long should a "quality" shadowing experience should be?
2. Any tips on getting a MD shadowing experience?
3. Do I need to have the Letter of Recommendation with the AMCAS?

I appreciate any of your comments. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

DrHate said:
2. Any tips on getting a MD shaddowing experience?
3. Do I need to have the Letter of Recommendation with the AMCAS?
first, be wary of repeated typographical mistakes in any important or highly visible correspondence

2nd LORs go with 2ndaries, a few weeks to months after amcas submission

1. How long should a "quality" shaddowing experience should be?

It really depends on you, the individual. Some people can get their fair share of experience in a day's work. Others benefit better from a week shadowing. There are other factors that contribute to a quality experience. Things like who you shadow, what speciality they do, how participative are they, how much they show you, what you are actually exposed to, all affect how enriching or dry your experience is.

2. Any tips on getting a MD shaddowing experience?

See what your undergrad pre-med programs have to offer. Some places offer 'externships' (similar to shadowing, and could possibly give you credit for your experience). Academic hospitals may offer such opportunities, but this might only apply to students and not outsiders.

Do you know any docs that could put you in touch with someone they know that would take you under his or her wing? See who you know that can put you in touch with another doc. I did this and was lucky enough to get a great shadowing experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your comment.

To Shredder,
Thanks for pointing out the spelling mistakes. :p

DrHate said:
Thank you both for your comment.

To Shredder,
Thanks for pointing out the spelling mistakes. :p
no problem haha. what specialty are you thinking of, if any in particular? im interested in bugging some pathologist to let me shadow, but i dont like the notion of bugging

whats with the change in avatar shredder! where's the trump? :confused:

Nicholonias needs to change his avatar. What a poser.

I was always told not to make ‘cold-calls,’ to attempt to network my way into a shadowing position, but being somewhat new to the area I didn’t have many contacts and my pre-med advisor wasn’t much help. I finally ended up sending an e-mail to the Chief of Orthopedic Surgery at the medical school nearby asking about shadowing opportunities and he was very open and sent me to his secretary to schedule when I wanted to come in and shadow him.
Point is, don’t be afraid to just ask. Some physicians are open to the idea and don’t require ‘connections.’

I am also curious about what is deemed ‘sufficient shadowing.’ When I contacted the secretary she seemed surprised that I was interested in shadowing over a period of time, rather than a one shot deal. Maybe she doesn’t get that many pre-meds coming through the office..

Publius said:
I am also curious about what is deemed ‘sufficient shadowing.’ When I contacted the secretary she seemed surprised that I was interested in shadowing over a period of time, rather than a one shot deal. Maybe she doesn’t get that many pre-meds coming through the office..
i faced the same situation. i got in touch with a bigshot pathologist at a large, exclusive pathology clinic that served all of texas and i was excited. then i realized he wasnt expecting more than a tour and talk. i havent pursued anything since then due to research obligations which ive since stopped, so im looking to start up a shadow hunt again maybe. im not sure if that chief will be too receptive to curious premeds on a regular basis, his times probably valuable. cold callings never really the best bet--ppl have enough on their hands to worry about someone without a reference

ah, let nicholonius be gungho if he wants to. at least he doesnt hide under the shroud of secrecy like everyone else.

everyones pointed out trumps departure...maybe ill bring him back after wimbledon, but im in a tennis spirit right now

I'm actually shadowing a resident team on rounds right now for a 1-2 week period. And each day, someone on the team does a presentation on a specific disease, and they use their medical jargon that I don't understand. And now, the attending wants me to do a talk! :eek: Why can't I just passively shadow? J/k...it should be interesting...

g3pro said:
Nicholonias needs to change his avatar. What a poser.

have i rubbed you the wrong way or something?

nicholonious said:
have i rubbed you the wrong way or something?
i think hes one of the older ppl, not a preallo regular