mill_z

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2004
Davenport, IA
Status
What's the best way to get involved with shadowing, clinical experience, or research? Do I just go up and ask, send a resume, call them or what?

redwings54

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
Status
Medical Student
mill_z said:
What's the best way to get involved with shadowing, clinical experience, or research? Do I just go up and ask, send a resume, call them or what?
What I did was went on the AOA website and found some DO's in my area than just picked up the phone and made some calls. I asked if I could shadow and or if there was any way to meet with them. Most DO's know about the requirement for admission so they are good about shadowing. As far as clinical experience, try getting a job as a phlebotomist or a CNA. Both are fairly easy to get with little or no experience and if you are near a city, you can work per diem and still go to school. I am waiting to hear back on a clinical lab assistant position where I will be doing phlebotomy and lab work. Seems like it would be good for med school. Good luck and make a few phone calls. Thats your best bet.

LT2

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
Medical Student
depending on where you are, most physicians are more than willing to sit down (even though it might be 15 minutes during their lunch break) and talk to you about their profession. this is a good opportunity to see what they're like and to ask, if you'd like to, about shadowing.

as for research, i work in a busy lab where the PI (also the president of ASM) is literally all over the place. if you call or email, you're likely to be forgotten. if you walk into the lab and ask about research options, not only will you be able to show them what a go-getter you are, but you'll actually be able to sit and talk to them rather than trying to correspond through email. my PI almost always takes people who come into the lab to ask. also, the lurking graduate students pick up on people looking for research as well. this is a great scenario for you to work closely with someone to pick up techniques, and if you're around long enough, you can end up with your own project, and possibly, a publication. good luck, hope this helped... ;)