Shadow Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

Kal Gall

Hey guys!

So I will be applying to medical school in a year. I am wondering if I should gain some shadowing experience. As of now, I have 2,500+ hours as an ER scribe, ~100 hours volunteering in a NICU, and some research experience (non-clinical). How imperative is it that I incorporate shadowing? And how many hours are sufficient? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

So I will be applying to medical school in a year. I am wondering if I should gain some shadowing experience. As of now, I have 2,500+ hours as an ER scribe, ~100 hours volunteering in a NICU, and some research experience (non-clinical). How imperative is it that I incorporate shadowing? And how many hours are sufficient? Thanks in advance for your feedback!
20-30 should be fine in your case. Make sure it is in primary care. You want to be able to see what a regular doctors day is like...from interacting with patients to doing the paperwork at the end of the day.

20-30 should be fine in your case. Make sure it is in primary care. You want to be able to see what a regular doctors day is like...from interacting with patients to doing the paperwork at the end of the day.

wait where is the obligation for primary care shadowing? sure it's useful but i don't recall it as a requirement.

Primary care shadowing is not required but given that most clinical care is delivered in ambulatory settings, it is a good idea to see that side of medicine before making a commitment.