shadowed a dr...what's my title?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
trying to fill out my amcas..but don't know what to put for title...do i call myself a "doctor shadow"? "volunteer"? "intern"?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you're clear in the description, I don't think it's a huge deal. The 'help' feature of AMCAS is actually pretty descriptive and I think they may include what you need to designate certain activities as. It may be a little hard to find but worth the look. Thinking back...I'm pretty sure I designated my own as 'intern' or 'guest' to make it sound as professional as possible. As long as you aren't misleading in the actual writeup, I don't think it matters all that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
your title is "student doctor so and so"

sdnstud said:
trying to fill out my amcas..but don't know what to put for title...do i call myself a "doctor shadow"? "volunteer"? "intern"?
put "Doctor wanna be"

sdnstud said:

hmm, shadowee? :p

IceKid said:
hmm, shadowee? :p

I think that the shadowee would be the doctor...how about just shadower or student observer?

i think something cool like "The Shadow," or "Creature of the Night...Who Attempts to Gain Clinical Experience for the Purposes of Admission into Medical School" would fit nicely.

What should I call myself? I did a lot more than shadowing, doing such things as discussing patients with the attendings and doing physical exams. "PGY-1"? "Intern"? I'll probably stick with "intern", but I'm wondering what others would say.

g3pro said:
What should I call myself? I did a lot more than shadowing, doing such things as discussing patients with the attendings and doing physical exams. "PGY-1"? "Intern"? I'll probably stick with "intern", but I'm wondering what others would say.

Future Scutboy.