Shadowed an anesthesiologist tonight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gimlet

Cardiac Anesthesiologist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got back from shadowing an anesthesiologist and I'm in a great mood because it definitely reaffirmed that I'm headed in the right direction by having anesthesia at the top of my list of specialty choices. I'm really excited! Among other things, I got to sit in on a pericardial window operation, and the surgical resident asked me if I wanted to come over and take a look at what they were doing. I was like, "Thanks man, but I'm here to watch these guys." They got a kick out of that. (Wasn't trying to be a dick or anything, but I figure I'll have plenty of time in my 3rd year surgery rotation to be interested in the surgeon's work.)

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this board for helping me out, too. Reading this forum has kept me on top of some of the current issues in anesthesiology and I think it surprised them that an M1 could contribute to their conversations about BIS monitors, anesthetic plans, and even knew a little about the drugs they were pushing. Keep up the awesome threads (although Noyac's thread about total knees is totally beyond my comprehension!). :)

As an aside, I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to get more experience in anesthesiology next summer. All the attendings at my school keep saying to only do research if you really want to do research. I'm not really gung-ho about research, so for right now I'm putting that idea on the back burner. So I'm looking for something that will get me more exposure to anesthesiology that isn't research but is something more than just shadowing so it can wind up on my resume at some point. Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post, but I needed to do something to unwind all my excitement before I hit the sack...

Members don't see this ad.

dude

are they cancelling arrested development?

Andy15430 said:
I was like, "Thanks man, but I'm here to watch these guys."

:thumbup:

you would've gotten 'honors' on the spot if you'd been one of my med students solely for that comment.

Members don't see this ad :)
VolatileAgent said:
:thumbup:

you would've gotten 'honors' on the spot if you'd been one of my med students solely for that comment.

Oooh. That's good stuff.

[Filing away for next year...]

Andy15430 said:
I was like, "Thanks man, but I'm here to watch these guys." They got a kick out of that.

Wow. That could have gone really bad or really good.... What was their exact response?

Stuff you can do:

Join the ASA
Join the ASA-Med Student Delegation
Join your school's AIG or start one (Anes Interest Group)
Your program's anesth dept may have need of reserach asst.

There's lots. You are early. Get on the horse and ride it. Very few others will be anywhere close to you if you do.

Andy15430 said:
I
As an aside, I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to get more experience in anesthesiology next summer. All the attendings at my school keep saying to only do research if you really want to do research. I'm not really gung-ho about research, so for right now

No big deal. MCW has always made positions available to their grads (unless they really did not like you). The program there is top notch. Research will not affect your application there. However research may affect your application at other programs. Usually research is a cherry on top and not a deal breaker. If you have an idea of different programs in an area you want to train at then I would find out specifically what those programs want. One thing I found difficult coming from MCW was that few other programs stacked up to that one. The best person to talk with however is John Kampine if he is still available for students. He is the greatest resource and letter you could use.

Zeffer said:
No big deal. MCW has always made positions available to their grads (unless they really did not like you). The program there is top notch. Research will not affect your application there. However research may affect your application at other programs. Usually research is a cherry on top and not a deal breaker. If you have an idea of different programs in an area you want to train at then I would find out specifically what those programs want. One thing I found difficult coming from MCW was that few other programs stacked up to that one. The best person to talk with however is John Kampine if he is still available for students. He is the greatest resource and letter you could use.

Thanks, Zeffer. I actually ran into Dr. Kampine the other day while he was at the med school interviewing applicants. I recognized him as being the former chair of Anesthesiology, so I introduced myself and chatted with him for a second while he was waiting for his interviewee. He said if I ever needed anything, I could send him an e-mail. I think I will.

SleepyTime said:
Join your school's AIG or start one (Anes Interest Group)

I'm the "M1 Liason" for my school's AIG, and I'll be assuming the leadership role next year. If you're active in your school's AIG, I'd be interested to hear some ideas for things we could do. So far we've set up a shadowing program, had a couple of speakers, and did an intubation workshop. We're having a hard time coming up with other ideas, though. Any thoughts?

Davvid, word on the street has it that Fox has taken Arrested Development off their schedule. Worst decision made in the history of televison. :(

Andy - youre way too motivated. Shmoozing with the anesth chair, shadowing, BIS monitors, damn dude - I think youre gunna be an ER doc (based on what kinda personalities go into er at my school)- but seriously, Id say research is the way to go if the purpose is completley based on improving your resume. Taking the summer off to do clinical work with a doc means nothing by the end of your third year. I'd say research (does not in any way need to have anything to do with anestheiology btw), or perhaps clinical experience in a foreign country - the poorer the better. Itll give you something to talk about on your interviews.