Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Shadowing a D.O.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Fooman, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Fooman

Fooman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have so far called 2 D.O. physicians in my area about a day ago, having to leave a message on their machine or with their secretary and they haven't replied yet.

I'm going to call some more. Hopefully someone will let me shadow him/her.

What did you guys do to have them say yes? And should I contact those who haven't replied yet?

2. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have called over 30 DOs spanning several specialties and several hospitals in my area. (I am in Philadelphia so there are plenty) So far I have shadowed 6. Some offices have said yes and scheduled a time for me to come in right then. Other offices didn't even understand what shadowing meant and I had to give a brief explanation (some suggested that I come back once I'm in med school). More often than not I have received no replies to the messages I have left. I try to wait a week before calling someone back. I still have not heard back from EM and Cardio and I started calling them over a month ago. It is all a numbers game, the more doctors you call the better the chance that at least one will let you shadow them.

Good luck

3. bentz

bentz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

what the heck does shadow mean?

4. algae

algae Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I called my state's osteopathic medical association and asked them for help in finding a DO to shadow. They sent me a list of all the DO's in my area and put a check next to those that would be most receptive to having a student shadow them.

5. bentz

bentz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

can someone please define shadowing?

6. Fooman

Fooman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Bentz: to shadow someone is to basically follow them on their job and observe what is actually involved. In terms of shadowing a D.O., I'd like to see some OMM/OMT in practice and to see what a day is like in the life of a D.O.

Wow, I didn't know that D.O.s weren't receptive to having someone shadow them. I would think that they would be glad to have someone share in the same career interest. There aren't that many D.O.s here in Alabama.

To update, I got a reply from a D.O involved with rehab and will be following him M-F so I'm very excited. I just wish I would hear from the pediatric D.O. cause I'd like to specialize in pediatrics.

7. BamaAlum

10+ Year Member

Fooman,
    Who's the doc? I have been trying to find one here in B'ham, but I can't. I know there's a PM&R D.O. at HealthSouth. I was thinking of calling him.

8. phd2b

phd2b Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Try Lance Radbill at Brookwood. He's an OB/GYN, but doesn't do any OMM. He delivered my daughter last year and is awesome!

9. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sometimes writing a letter will work better. It is an easier way to give a description on who you are and your purpose for wanting to shadow them.

Be patient. Calling and expecting a call back within a day is unrealistic.

10. Fooman

Fooman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

BamaAlum: His name is Dr. Prioffsky and works at the Spain Rehab Center which is where I did some research during my undergrad. He's actually heard of the project that I was on so I'm hoping to have some interesting conversations with him. He says he doesn't employ much OMM/OMT either, but he'll see what he can do to show me. He sounded extremely friendly over the phone. I can't wait to start on Monday (even if it's 7am!)

ph2db: Yeah, I am going to call him to see if he's willing to let me shadow him too.

How long should I shadow each doctor? Keep in mind that I'm also seeking a recommendation letter.

11. luckyduck

luckyduck Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Call KCOM at 660-626-2237 and ask them for information about the KCOM Diplomate program. A KCOM diplomate is a graduate of Kirksville in your area that is willing to answer questions and provide clinical shadowing experiences. My KCOM diplomate was extremely helpful and even asked if I wanted to shadow him the next day!!! He has since completed recommendation forms for me for the DO schools that I am applying to. :p