1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Shadowing a D.O.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Fooman, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Fooman

Fooman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have so far called 2 D.O. physicians in my area about a day ago, having to leave a message on their machine or with their secretary and they haven't replied yet.

I'm going to call some more. Hopefully someone will let me shadow him/her.

What did you guys do to have them say yes? And should I contact those who haven't replied yet?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have called over 30 DOs spanning several specialties and several hospitals in my area. (I am in Philadelphia so there are plenty) So far I have shadowed 6. Some offices have said yes and scheduled a time for me to come in right then. Other offices didn't even understand what shadowing meant and I had to give a brief explanation (some suggested that I come back once I'm in med school). More often than not I have received no replies to the messages I have left. I try to wait a week before calling someone back. I still have not heard back from EM and Cardio and I started calling them over a month ago. It is all a numbers game, the more doctors you call the better the chance that at least one will let you shadow them.

Good luck

4. bentz

bentz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

what the heck does shadow mean?

5. algae

algae Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I called my state's osteopathic medical association and asked them for help in finding a DO to shadow. They sent me a list of all the DO's in my area and put a check next to those that would be most receptive to having a student shadow them.

6. bentz

bentz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

can someone please define shadowing?

7. Fooman

Fooman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Bentz: to shadow someone is to basically follow them on their job and observe what is actually involved. In terms of shadowing a D.O., I'd like to see some OMM/OMT in practice and to see what a day is like in the life of a D.O.

Wow, I didn't know that D.O.s weren't receptive to having someone shadow them. I would think that they would be glad to have someone share in the same career interest. There aren't that many D.O.s here in Alabama.

To update, I got a reply from a D.O involved with rehab and will be following him M-F so I'm very excited. I just wish I would hear from the pediatric D.O. cause I'd like to specialize in pediatrics.

8. BamaAlum

10+ Year Member

Fooman,
    Who's the doc? I have been trying to find one here in B'ham, but I can't. I know there's a PM&R D.O. at HealthSouth. I was thinking of calling him.

9. phd2b

phd2b Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Try Lance Radbill at Brookwood. He's an OB/GYN, but doesn't do any OMM. He delivered my daughter last year and is awesome!

10. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sometimes writing a letter will work better. It is an easier way to give a description on who you are and your purpose for wanting to shadow them.

Be patient. Calling and expecting a call back within a day is unrealistic.

11. Fooman

Fooman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

BamaAlum: His name is Dr. Prioffsky and works at the Spain Rehab Center which is where I did some research during my undergrad. He's actually heard of the project that I was on so I'm hoping to have some interesting conversations with him. He says he doesn't employ much OMM/OMT either, but he'll see what he can do to show me. He sounded extremely friendly over the phone. I can't wait to start on Monday (even if it's 7am!)

ph2db: Yeah, I am going to call him to see if he's willing to let me shadow him too.

How long should I shadow each doctor? Keep in mind that I'm also seeking a recommendation letter.

12. luckyduck

luckyduck Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Call KCOM at 660-626-2237 and ask them for information about the KCOM Diplomate program. A KCOM diplomate is a graduate of Kirksville in your area that is willing to answer questions and provide clinical shadowing experiences. My KCOM diplomate was extremely helpful and even asked if I wanted to shadow him the next day!!! He has since completed recommendation forms for me for the DO schools that I am applying to. :p