shadowing a dentist... volunteering...

Started by HSO
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HSO

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello everyone. i have some questions concerning shadowing a dentist. i'm a 2nd year undergrad, and i thought that it was about time for me to start shadowing (now that i'm pretty sure about pursuing a career in dentistry). the problem is, that i visited various dentists in my area, and none of them allowed me to shadow them! i mean, according to various sources online and in books, etc. dentists are "supposed to" be excited to help out pre-dental student! right? has anyone else experienced this rejection? another thing is, at home i know several dentists as friends that would probably allow me to shadow, etc., but back at my college town, i dont' know any dentists personally... and it's really hard for me to go back home to shadow... also, i kno for pre-med students it's pretty easy for them to volunteer in that they can just go to a hospital and apply for a volunteer position... but for predental students how the heck are we supposed to volunteer (esp. in a private practice setting?)?? one of the excuses a dentist i wanted to shadow gave me was that the patients might be concerned about their privacy and so they wouldnt' want me observing/shadowing. so if they are concerned about me even observing, how can i actually do anything to volunteer? are there dental volunteer opportunities in hospitals? help please.. thanks a lot! 🙂
 
HSO,
You are not in a grave situation at all down there in San Diego. A good place to start on finding a clinic to volunteer at would be to check with your bio counselors, they usually will have a local directory of places that accept undergrad volunteers. A great place to volunteer at is a local free dental clinic, they usually are very welcoming to students who want to help out and learn at the same time. I bet that there are a couple of free dental clinics in SD which provide care to underserved communities. Good Luck!
 
Wow that answered my question also! Thanks a bunch!! I once asked my dentist about it and he blew me off - so he isn't my dentist anymore (he was a flake anyway). :wink: I never asked again because I just didn't feel like getting the runaround, but now I have a new dentist and I'm going to ask him regardless. I'm also going to go down to "Southtown" and see what I can do at the free clinics there - thanks to ur suggestion! 🙂 Being in San Antonio, I know of several free clinics on the southside (southtown we north-siders call it) and i'm anxious to call them and find out more! The pre-dent/med dude at school is a ***** and so i'm better off fending for myself anyway...

Thanks again for your helpful advice!

:clap: