shadowing a do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneLove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interesting in pursuing a do. My premed counselor told me that it is a REQUIREMENT that I shadow a do to apply to osteiopathic schools. Are there any guidelines to doing so ( time frame? can it be any do? etc?) Also what is the best way of going about shadowing a do Are there programs to apply for? Do i just call some up ( how do I find them?) ALso I am interesting in pursuing a residency in psychiatry, is it absolyutely necessary that I shadow a psych with a do? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Many osteopathic schools require that you shadow an D.O. or get a letter of recommendation from one, but not all(not MSUCOM, OUCOM or Kirksville). Due to the new hippa laws, some physicians are reluctant to have students shadow them. However, at MSUCOM the docs who teach at the clinical center associated with the school are great about letting pre-meds shadow them. I would suggest that if you are having trouble finding a D.O. who will let you shadow them, to contact either the clinical center associated with an osteopathic school in your area or maybe even look on the school's website and see which instructors are also still practicing medicine(usually most are).
Good Luck to you!

thanks!

this may sound ignorant, but what exactly does MSUCOM Stand for?

Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCOM stands for Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine. Please go to: www.aacom.org to get ahold of some great information. Also, if you visit the AOA website, there is an area that you can search for Osteopathic physicians in your area. This would help you if you prefer to find one in a certain specialty or from a certain educational institution.

I have posted this information before, do a search and you should find a lot of threads about shadowing DOs.

There are only a handful of schools that absolutely require obtaining a D.O. recommendation letter. With that said, I still feel that it would be beneficial for you to shadow one, whether or not you indeed get the letter. Your best bet is to reference the website that kaikai mentioned. Another way, one of the things I did, was to ask around in the hospital if anyone knew a D.O. - turns out I found one pretty easily. It's not necessary for you to shadow a psychiatrist (DO/MD) either, and I honestly think, many of them may be a bit reluctant since it would potentially interfere with patient privacy/confidentiality concerns.

hey I'm really sorry for being really ignorant on this topic but what exactly is aoa? Can someone link me to their website? thanks

The AOA is the American Osteopathic Association, and is the accrediting body for all osteopathic schools. The website is http://www.osteopathic.org/ You can also find a D.O. in your area, by browsing through that website.

Also PCSOM and OUCOM didn't require DO letters of rec...but I found a friendly DO by word of mouth, and he was absolutely fabulous and really made it a point to get to know me and wrote me a letter, I think many would be willing to help you out. They've been where you are too.

Please, if you are truely interested in becoming a DO, do some research and make yourself familiar with the history of osteopathy, the historical differences, etc. I would suggest reading the newest version of the book the DOs. Please inform yourself before embarking on a career that you appear to not know a whole lot about (I'm sorry if I'm wrong but was led to this by the lack of knowledge of MSUCOM or the AOA).

I've done a little more research but still have a lot to learn. From what I've read, I am definately leaningtowards do rather than md. Does anyone have any good literature to recommend?

BTW thank you guys so much for your help I truly appreciate it! :D

You can request a 2005 catalog on the aacom website...it tells a little about each school. Also, there is a thread on here about book reviews...something you might want to look into. I found that the AOA website was really helpful, but mostly I went to each school's website to see what they had to say about the history of osteopathic medicine, A.T. Still, etc. The biggest question you'll be asked is "Why D.O.?" and you'll want an answer...good luck!

I thought it was a pretty boring book, but "The D.O.'s a history of osteopathic medicine " by norman gevitz is really informative about osteopathic medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. I'm confused - I just looked at every one of the DO school admissions webpages, and the following state you MUST submit a DO (some say or MD) letter:
AZCOM, LECOM, Oklahoma COM, PCSOM, CCOM, nova, VCOM, and Western.

So do they not really require them, or did they change their minds, or what? Or if you contact them, will they substitute a medical supervisor (for those who worked in the medical field) LOR for a DO LOR?

??

If a particular school says you can submit a D.O. or M.D. letter, it means exactly that - it's your choice on which one you would rather submit. Some schools will write that an osteopathic letter is highly recommended (rather than required), yet others will tell you that it is best to get a letter from a M.D. you've known for years rather than a D.O. you only met for a day.

The requirements are that you (generally) submit 1-2 academic LOR's and 1 LOR from a physician (DO or MD). I speculate they will not substitute a physician's LOR for any other health professional.

Okay,I have a problem.
I tried to get a shadowing position in Atlanta, GA area(10 miles of 30340). I called 38 DO in my area, talked to couple of them or to their assistant/office manager, etc,. and every single one of them told me the EXACTLY SAME THING. They can't have me, because they too busy, or don't do it, but mostly they ONLY take students who ARE ALREADY in medical school.
So how do I suppose to get experience???
I could volunteer but most of the hospitals want a 1 year/6 months commitment. I am working full time, and studying to retake the MCAT.
I have a relative in CA who is a doctor, but I can't take off from work for a long time.
DOES ANYBODY CAN help me, with advice or a doctor's name or anything to get experience. I have volunteer work over 100 hours, but nothing medicine related.

Yea, your counselor is a being misleading. You CAN shadow an M.D., but it is recommended that you shadow a D.O. The specifics of psychiatry shouldn't matter. Afterall, you're supposed to be going into med school with an open mind.

The main reason schools prefer a D.O. is because they want you to have a degree of exposure to what makes osteopathic medicine different, i.e. the OMM and philosophy. A really good way to find an osteopath is to Google D.Os in your area. Then, honestly, make phone calls or show up. It sounds scary, but if you're not tenacious--let's not kid ourselves--you're not going to get far anyway.

All of the docs I've talked to are really down to earth and happy to answer your questions. Just be upfront with them about your aspirations and where you're going. It's easy to get star struck with them, but they were in your position once.

Okay,I have a problem.
I tried to get a shadowing position in Atlanta, GA area(10 miles of 30340). I called 38 DO in my area, talked to couple of them or to their assistant/office manager, etc,. and every single one of them told me the EXACTLY SAME THING. They can't have me, because they too busy, or don't do it, but mostly they ONLY take students who ARE ALREADY in medical school.
So how do I suppose to get experience???
I could volunteer but most of the hospitals want a 1 year/6 months commitment. I am working full time, and studying to retake the MCAT.
I have a relative in CA who is a doctor, but I can't take off from work for a long time.
DOES ANYBODY CAN help me, with advice or a doctor's name or anything to get experience. I have volunteer work over 100 hours, but nothing medicine related.

Try the AOA mentor program. I signed up, and had two DOs willing to let me shadow within a week (and I don't live in a state with a large # of DOs).

The DO I shadowed tried to manipulate me. And by manipulate I mean pinch my ass.

Try the AOA mentor program. I signed up, and had two DOs willing to let me shadow within a week (and I don't live in a state with a large # of DOs).

I've tried the AOA for the Atlanta area and trust me you get little to no response.

There was another thread on here about send out CV and cover letter to a few DO's and then follow up with a call. I am going to try that soon, because the DO letter is the last thing I need. Good luck!

2 things, first this post originated like 4 years ago.. 2nd, be very cautious of manipulations that involve the backside..

There is maybe a chance because one of the manager's or assistant's of a DO called me back and gave me an appointment to go on the 18th. She told me not to wear jeans (prefer business casual) and bring a Resume/CV.

So will see, I let you guys know if actually could shadow him, because he is pretty good.

Thanks for that. I actually find someone, I hope he will let me shadow him, will see on the 18th.

There is maybe a chance because one of the manager's or assistant's of a DO called me back and gave me an appointment to go on the 18th. She told me not to wear jeans

:eek: I WARNED YOU!! :eek: