Shadowing a neurologist soon any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popopopop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello ya'll, I'm a second year medical students that was afforded an awesome opportunity to shadow an MD, PhD neurologist who was both a graduate and assoc. professor of a residency program I'm hoping to match into. Long story short, I want to build a relationship with this professor and not look like a fool while shadowing and discussing my future with this person. Perhaps even get into their research lab?!

Is there anything you would expect...let say a 3rd year rotating student to know day 1? I was planning to just refresh some pharm and be better at localizing lesions. We don't have a core neuro rotation at my school. I got a few days off to prepare. Thank you so much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

When I shadowed, I essentially became part of the resident team that was with him that day and he was pimping and made it a point to tell me not to worry about knowing things because that isn't at the point you should be at. Probably isn't a terrible idea to freshen up a bit but I doubt he expects you to know neuro because you haven't taken boards yet.

What I noticed that seemed to go over well was just talk about what interests you about neuro, and the generic 'get to know you' stuff. Ask about what he likes about the profession, and hell even ask about how he likes the residency he's associated with. If it comes up even talk about how you're interested in neuro research and if he ever has any openings to let you know. Better to be upfront than tiptoe around I've found

Reactions: 1 user
Is there anything you would expect...let say a 3rd year rotating student to know day 1?

From my sub-I which required teaching, I expected M3s entering their (required) neuro rotation to know the major lobes of the brain, very rudimentary intracranial localization (like, how does an MCA stroke present), and a few basics of some bread-and-butter neuro things from Step 1 (like, what is myasthenia gravis/GBS/a stroke/Parkinsons/dementia, etc). I don't think anything will be expected of an M2 at all.

Rather than focus on looking like you read a lot beforehand, I'd try to come across as an active learner, ask lots of questions (both about cases you see and just general practice as a neurologist) and, if you're interested in research with this person, read a paper or two they recently wrote. Enthusiastic interest, even if uninformed, is all you really need.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks ya'll! I'm definitely very eager, but nervous at the same time. Thanks for taking the time for these great suggestions! I'm definitely going to refer back here to read your comments up until I go shadow.