Shadowing a PA vs shadowing a MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Encrypted

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have the opportunity to shadow a physician's assistant at a hospital I volunteer at. I was told that the PA and MD do similar things. Will adcom's look upon shadowing a PA differently than a MD?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I have the opportunity to shadow a physician's assistant at a hospital I volunteer at. I was told that the PA and MD do similar things. Will adcom's look upon shadowing a PA differently than a MD?

You'll probably be viewed as less-determined and adcoms will be worried that you will eventually wash out.

Just kidding. That's a great place to start.

Better than nothing, but I'd try for either clinical volunteering that puts you close to doctors or shadowing an actual doctor. Exposure to what a PA actually does for a living isn't what you're shooting for here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Better than nothing, but I'd try for either clinical volunteering that puts you close to doctors or shadowing an actual doctor. Exposure to what a PA actually does for a living isn't what you're shooting for here.
Actually, I'm volunteering in the ED. During volunteer orientation, they told us about a program they have with volunteers shadowing PA's. I'll probably have a chance to meet some doctors later and ask to shadow them so I'll give that a try also.

Hey everyone,

I know your intention is noble in asking for advice, but it should be pretty clear what kind of responses you will get. No, this will negatively impact your application to med school if you initially shadow a PA before an MD. What do you want to become?? That will answer your question without any second thoughts!!:)

No, this will negatively impact your application to med school if you initially shadow a PA before an MD. ...

Any insight on how it would negatively impact his application to med school if he initially shadowed a PA before an MD?

I actually think that shadowing both a PA and an MD would look very good. It would show you first hand the similarities and differences between the professions and it would show to admissions committees that you have explored other avenues while having patient interactions along the way. However, shadowing a PA but not an MD would probably be looked at with skepticism since despite what some people might say, there ARE differences between two professions.

PAs are great. Focus on the clinical part....In the end you really don't know anything, so it isn't like you are going to get a huge difference in information from either. The PA that helped with the surgeon I was with was great....he explained everything clearly and simply for me, the benefits and downsides of each profession, and just joked around. I learned a lot from him and wouldn't discount the value at all.

When I shadowed in the ED at the hospital I work at, the doc actually suggested I shadow his PA during procedures. Very interesting stuff. I wouldn't worry about it - besides, it will give you an "in" to shadow a doc.

What if you just shadow the PA at one hospital and at a totally different time and place you shadow a doctor? Is the PA'S LOR worthwhile?

What if you shadow a DO rather than an MD? is that OK? In this particular case the DO does exactly the same as the MD and actually is the department chairman so he really does more.

ya know, you could shadow just for the experience and not just use it as a way to pimp up your resume...

in all seriousness though, I had a scheduling issue with one of my shadowing days and couldnt get the proper clearances to follow rounds one day and ended up following the ortho tech around for a day. Basically I set casts and removed suchers for the day, but that ended up being one of the cooler "hands on" things I ended up doing.

ya know, you could shadow just for the experience and not just use it as a way to pimp up your resume...

of course that's true but when all is said and done, we want to know whether we can actually use it to say pimp our resume.:D so......????

I really liked the idea of shadowing both because I would know first hand what each does. Thanks for the comments.