shadowing a pathologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i'm an m2 and im really interested in pathology.
only thing is i've never shadowed a pathologist. ive shadowed family, peds, ob/gyn, and surgeons. i never even considered path until M2.

do medical students ever shadow pathologists? do most people get exposure before their first pathology rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

I ended up shadowing some pathology residents during some free afternoons in my 2nd year. We had a path student interest group and I got in touch with the group mentor. If you don't have one of those at your school, I'd say just e-mail/call one of your professors who is in the path department to ask about it. It's a good idea because it's such a different world from all the other specialties with regards to patient contact. Also, since I couldn't do a path elective until my 4th year, I wanted to make sure that was what I wanted to do since it's hard to change what specialty you're going to apply to right before you do apply in September.

I ended up shadowing some pathology residents during some free afternoons in my 2nd year. We had a path student interest group and I got in touch with the group mentor. If you don't have one of those at your school, I'd say just e-mail/call one of your professors who is in the path department to ask about it. It's a good idea because it's such a different world from all the other specialties with regards to patient contact. Also, since I couldn't do a path elective until my 4th year, I wanted to make sure that was what I wanted to do since it's hard to change what specialty you're going to apply to right before you do apply in September.

I agree. Good advice.