shadowing a pathologist?

Started by Doc013
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Doc013

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so i'm an m2 and im really interested in pathology.
only thing is i've never shadowed a pathologist. ive shadowed family, peds, ob/gyn, and surgeons. i never even considered path until M2.

do medical students ever shadow pathologists? do most people get exposure before their first pathology rotation?
 
I ended up shadowing some pathology residents during some free afternoons in my 2nd year. We had a path student interest group and I got in touch with the group mentor. If you don't have one of those at your school, I'd say just e-mail/call one of your professors who is in the path department to ask about it. It's a good idea because it's such a different world from all the other specialties with regards to patient contact. Also, since I couldn't do a path elective until my 4th year, I wanted to make sure that was what I wanted to do since it's hard to change what specialty you're going to apply to right before you do apply in September.
 
I ended up shadowing some pathology residents during some free afternoons in my 2nd year. We had a path student interest group and I got in touch with the group mentor. If you don't have one of those at your school, I'd say just e-mail/call one of your professors who is in the path department to ask about it. It's a good idea because it's such a different world from all the other specialties with regards to patient contact. Also, since I couldn't do a path elective until my 4th year, I wanted to make sure that was what I wanted to do since it's hard to change what specialty you're going to apply to right before you do apply in September.

I agree. Good advice.