Shadowing a pharmacist vs working as a tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hye345

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Ca. pharmacy license finally came through this may. Since then, I've been applying to a bunch of chain stores and hospitals in the LA area, but so far, no luck. Ordinarily, I wouldn't get so flustered, but some of the schools I'm want to apply to require an LOR from a pharmacist, and I was hoping that working as a pharmacy technician would allow me to obtain one.

However, assuming that won't happen soon, and in the interest of getting my pharmcas application in by the middle of July, would I be better off just trying to shadow a pharmacist, and asking him/her for one? I'm assuming its an easier 'position' to obtain...

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing. A friend of mine got a kickass letter from an independent pharmacy owner after shadowing him for a few months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, so I've been cold-calling local pharmacies, and asking if they do any job shadowing or volunteering 'programs'', and so far I've gotten cold receptions. If this continues for much longer, then in the interest of applying early, I might have to bite the bullet, and only apply to programs that don't require an LOR from a pharmacist.

Hmm, so I've been cold-calling local pharmacies, and asking if they do any job shadowing or volunteering 'programs'', and so far I've gotten cold receptions. If this continues for much longer, then in the interest of applying early, I might have to bite the bullet, and only apply to programs that don't require an LOR from a pharmacist.

I feel you man, all I've gotten are some pretty cold responses. I'm probably going to have to apply with no pharmacist rec either :(

What do you guys say when you cold call? Most pharmacists I've called just weren't interested....

Try asking in person. Just go in and if it doesn't look to busy ask to speak to the pharmacist. It's how my friend and I both got our tech jobs. She talked to the manager of her store maybe three times? He told her to apply online and bang she was hired shortly after. The same exact thing happened to me but at a completely different store with a completely different manager. I've always had more success doing things personally rather than over the phone or online.