Shadowing a podiatrist for the first time tomorrow, what are some things that I should know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yazo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, do you guys have any tips from your experiences?

• I've never met him before, I arranged the shadowing experience online (it will last 4 hours). How many hours of shadowing would I need? I'm thinking of trying to do ~5 visits with him to have 20 shadowing hours total for when I apply.

• What should the dress code be? I'm thinking of wearing khakis, a dark polo shirt and dress shoes. I wore this when I shadowed an MD (I had 40 hours with him) and he never said anything about it.

• When should I ask him for a letter of recommendation? I'm hoping to do it on the second visit, but maybe someone here has a different approach.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Dont ask questions in the rooms with patients unless you are asked by the patient or a doctor.

Have good questions ready. Stay somewhat relaxed and enjoy it. You dont want to have boring face. Be on time.

I've never met him before, I arranged the shadowing experience online (it will last 4 hours). How many hours of shadowing would I need? I'm thinking of trying to do ~5 visits with him to have 20 shadowing hours total for when I apply.
I would aim for 20+ hours and a letter. He might now want you there for so long. My first podiatrist let me shadow him for 4 hours. I mentioned that I wanted to shadow more and that I wanted to get some hours in OR. He connected me with his friend who let me shadow him for another 20 hours and OR.

What should the dress code be? I'm thinking of wearing khakis, a dark polo shirt and dress shoes. I wore this when I shadowed an MD (I had 40 hours with him) and he never said anything about it.

It should be fine. I always had dress shoes, dress pants and dress shirt on. I was fine. For OR I changed into scrubs, gloves, hair net, and shoe covers and face mask.

When should I ask him for a letter of recommendation? I'm hoping to do it on the second visit, but maybe someone here has a different approach.
Anytime you feel more comfortable to ask. Sometimes they offer to write it for you.

Reactions: 1 users

• I've never met him before, I arranged the shadowing experience online (it will last 4 hours). How many hours of shadowing would I need? I'm thinking of trying to do ~5 visits with him to have 20 shadowing hours total for when I apply.

• What should the dress code be? I'm thinking of wearing khakis, a dark polo shirt and dress shoes. I wore this when I shadowed an MD (I had 40 hours with him) and he never said anything about it.

• When should I ask him for a letter of recommendation? I'm hoping to do it on the second visit, but maybe someone here has a different approach.
Thanks!
I believe many schools consider 20 hrs to be almost a minimum. I was in a similar situation with one of the DPMs I shadowed (found him thru the podiatry site), but he was really nice, open, and professional (doesn't hurt that he's one of the top guys in the profession and a residency director haha). I'm still shadowing him to learn/observe as much as possible. The DPM I shadowed told me he thought I would get into school and I think that was solely based off how I dressed. I'd suggest dress pants/slacks and a tucked in button down. A tie would make you look really professional/clean cut (I wore a tie). In terms of rec, you NEED to ask them for one. They're on the site for a reason, to inform more people of the profession and recommend people they think seem fit for it. It wouldn't even be bad to ask about a rec at the end of the first day and after telling him you want to come back to shadow more. That's just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The way I found DPMs, MDs and DOs to shadow was simply by going to the websites of the nearby hospitals and clinics and emailing them.

For podiatrists, I just typed in google maps - podiatrists near me - and started emailing all the clinics. I have got more positive replies than I needed.

Reactions: 1 user
Be a mute when with a patient. Do not speak unless spoken to directly by patient or physician.
If I'm a D.P.M., the only factors that would dissuade me from writing a letter of recommendation are:
1) Generally being aloof by disrespecting my time, kindness or patients.
2) Asking very rudimentary questions about the field. Questions like "so how many years does it take to become a podiatrist?", "do I have to take the MCAT?" would likely result in me asking the applicant to come back when they are more prepared. Have nuanced questions prepared that demonstrate you have independently researched the field.

Remember, although the DPM may say 'come in any time to shadow', your presence ultimately handicapps their productivity. They can't put out small fires inbetween appointments (charting, insurance calls/billing) while they're entertaining your questions, so be hyper conscious of that fact at all times.

Reactions: 3 users
Can you please post the link where I can find a DPM to shadow? I saw it somewhere a while ago but then I can't find now.
Make a lot of copies of your resume, and just google/yelp search DPM in your area. Drive around, and speak to office managers, letting them know that you would like to shadow such and such. I literally hit up like 15 offices and only got 2 hits. So don't get discouraged, just be persistent.

Reactions: 1 user