Shadowing a Podiatrist! Need some help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i will be beginning my shadowing of a local podiatrist from next week. When i went to his office today, he said me that i should be wearing a professional attire and if i have a Lab coat then i should be wearing that.

Shadowing is a first time experience for me and i have no idea what should i be expecting. Plzzz can some one say what happens during shadowing. I mean are we just suppose to observe or do we also help the Podiatrist. And one more question was am i suppose to take any notes or anything.

And plzz comment on Professional attire. what does it mean by Professional attire.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

cool_vkb said:
Hey i will be beginning my shadowing of a local podiatrist from next week. When i went to his office today, he said me that i should be wearing a professional attire and if i have a Lab coat then i should be wearing that.

Shadowing is a first time experience for me and i have no idea what should i be expecting. Plzzz can some one say what happens during shadowing. I mean are we just suppose to observe or do we also help the Podiatrist. And one more question was am i suppose to take any notes or anything.

And plzz comment on Professional attire. what does it mean by Professional attire.

Thank You

When you are spending a day at any medical office or podiatry office, you need to dress appropriately. Professional attire refers to dress shirt, slacks, and a tie. Of course, you should wear shoes instead of sneakers. Professional attire gives you a more professional apprearance when dealing with patients. If you have a clean white lab coat, you can wear it over your professional attire. If you do not have one, then just show up in professional attire and explain to the Podiatrist that you don't have a white lab coat. When you shadow a Podiatrist, most of the time, you will be observing the Podiatrist dealing with patients. Of course, you are welcome to ask questions as you go along. The goal of the shadowing experience is for you to learn more about the Podiatry profession. Be respectful with the patients, office staff, and they physician. It is not a bad idea to bring a list of questions with you as well. If the Podiatrist has some surgical cases on a specific day, he/she may invite you to come along to observe. Enjoy your shadowing experience.

dpmgrad said:
When you are spending a day at any medical office or podiatry office, you need to dress appropriately. Professional attire refers to dress shirt, slacks, and a tie. Of course, you should wear shoes instead of sneakers. Professional attire gives you a more professional apprearance when dealing with patients. If you have a clean white lab coat, you can wear it over your professional attire. If you do not have one, then just show up in professional attire and explain to the Podiatrist that you don't have a white lab coat. When you shadow a Podiatrist, most of the time, you will be observing the Podiatrist dealing with patients. Of course, you are welcome to ask questions as you go along. The goal of the shadowing experience is for you to learn more about the Podiatry profession. Be respectful with the patients, office staff, and they physician. It is not a bad idea to bring a list of questions with you as well. If the Podiatrist has some surgical cases on a specific day, he/she may invite you to come along to observe. Enjoy your shadowing experience.

Would it be appropriate for me to ask for a LOR after one day of shadowing or should I shadow a few more times then ask? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Clovers said:
Would it be appropriate for me to ask for a LOR after one day of shadowing or should I shadow a few more times then ask? Thanks

if you want a letter that you showed up to the office to learn about pods then once should be fine.

if you want a letter that speaks to your caracter and dedication... then more than once will be necessary.

Also, if you have any piercings those need to be removed. Unless you've got it where no one will see it like a Prince Albert. Then you're just sick and you shouldn't get into medicine. :laugh: