Shadowing a surgeon vs. shadowing a family practioner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

coolcucumber91

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On Monday, I get to watch a team of neurologists (one of them is a researcher I work for) and a neurosurgeon put a deep brain stimulator inside a patient. They basically will have to drill a hole on the dude's skull and put it in. I'm excited and since I do research in the neurology department, I may be able to watch a whole bunch of other open-brain/ head surgeries. My question is, how good does shadowing a surgery look compared to shadowing a pediatrician or family doctor? I heard that its more important
 
Which did you hear is more important? Your post is confusing...

It is probably more representative to shadow a pediatrician or family practice doc, but there is certainly no harm in seeing some surgeries.

Just get some exposure to as many areas of medicine as possible. I think variety is far more important than any concentrating a bunch of hours in one specialty.
 
On Monday, I get to watch a team of neurologists (one of them is a researcher I work for) and a neurosurgeon put a deep brain stimulator inside a patient. They basically will have to drill a hole on the dude's skull and put it in. I'm excited and since I do research in the neurology department, I may be able to watch a whole bunch of other open-brain/ head surgeries. My question is, how good does shadowing a surgery look compared to shadowing a pediatrician or family doctor? I heard that its more important
You're not hurting your application by shadowing in neurosurgery. However, you should definitely add a primary care doctor and possibly some other specialties so you see can see some differences between specialties
 
On Monday, I get to watch a team of neurologists (one of them is a researcher I work for) and a neurosurgeon put a deep brain stimulator inside a patient. They basically will have to drill a hole on the dude's skull and put it in. I'm excited and since I do research in the neurology department, I may be able to watch a whole bunch of other open-brain/ head surgeries. My question is, how good does shadowing a surgery look compared to shadowing a pediatrician or family doctor? I heard that its more important

No, one isn't "more important" than the other, but it's a good idea to be exposed to different fields of medicine - if not for your own enrichment, then to demonstrate that you've seen several sides of the profession.