Shadowing Advice (Pulmonologist)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
U

UTDoc10

Hey Everyone,

I'll be shadowing a Pulmonologist on the evenings of the 26th, 27th, and 28th. Since this will be my first time ever visiting a hospital where I wasn't going to visit a patient, I'm kind of clueless as to what kind of questions I should ask or even what to wear. I was thinking dress shoes, slacks, button up shirt, tie, and white coat (i'm a dude). I've familiarized myself with the doctors background as well as on some very basic pulmonology. Any advice?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yep...you are all set with the outfit you have in mind. Try to avoid hot pink if you can:D.

Members don't see this ad :)
And do not worry about the knowledge you have or don't have about that specialty. The doctor doesn't expect you to know much (or even anything). From my experience, you might either get someone who is very eager to explain what everything means to you (sometimes you are busy wondering wtf? I don't understand one word in that sentence) or you might get a person who will try as much as possible to break down what some disorder means in lay man terms.

Don't look too rehearsed. You've got the clothing in order so just go now with attentive ears; ask questions when it looks like it won't annoy him, and try to listen more than ask. But feel the doctor out, because if they seem like a really amiable person, then more questions may be appropriate. Also, since you are shadowing him/her more than one time, space your questions out over the days. Don't try to squeeze them all in on the first day.

I think at the pre-med stage, it would be more useful to ask questions like "whats your day like" or "what does this do" rather than worrying about any medical knowledge. As da me ka don said, theres no need to learn anything beforehand, because docs dont even expect 3rd years to know anything about that specialty. Even when I go examine patients in the hospital as a 2nd year, if I didnt learn it in class its no big deal.

When I shadowed during my summer job during undergrad, I found it useful to take some notes while listening to the doc talk to the patients. I would write terms down terms, drugs, diseases, and whatever else sounded interesting, and look it up later. It wouldnt necessarily be to ask anyone about, but its surprising how much of that stuck with me even today.

Update: My shadowing experience went better than expected! Within those 48 hours, I got to witness a bronchoscopy and unfortunately had to see someone die, amongst other things. It made me realize that being a doctor is what I want to do and I even got an invite from the doctor to come back whenever I was back in town. Thanks for the advice da me ka don, DoctaJay, and MSKalltheway.

Update: My shadowing experience went better than expected! Within those 48 hours, I got to witness a bronchoscopy and unfortunately had to see someone die, amongst other things. It made me realize that being a doctor is what I want to do and I even got an invite from the doctor to come back whenever I was back in town. Thanks for the advice da me ka don, DoctaJay, and MSKalltheway.

Great:thumbup:

Hey Everyone,

I'll be shadowing a Pulmonologist on the evenings of the 26th, 27th, and 28th. Since this will be my first time ever visiting a hospital where I wasn't going to visit a patient, I'm kind of clueless as to what kind of questions I should ask or even what to wear. I was thinking dress shoes, slacks, button up shirt, tie, and white coat (i'm a dude). I've familiarized myself with the doctors background as well as on some very basic pulmonology. Any advice?

Thanks

I can help you a little.

Dress

Nice botton up shirt
Tie
Slacks
dress shoes
White coat (bring it but don't wear it unless told to)

Experiences
1. You will prob see patients with the DOC
2. Just sit there and look happy
3. DEpending on your knowledge and how cool the DOC is, the DOC may let you go in alone to gather the patient history and vitals.
a. That being said, you may need to bring a stetho for collecting b/p

Questions
1. remember to ask your questions
2. Don't be to pushy about the LOR. Just drop casual hints