Shadowing an ER Doc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KinesStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested in EM and have some extra time on my hands this summer. I'd really like to shadow an ER Doc. but I'm not sure how to go about asking. I know with other specialties they often have offices, but I feel bad walking into an ER that is usually very busy. I just want to be respectful of the patient's and the doctor's time.

Does anyone, ER Doc. or not have any advice as to how I could go about procuring a shadowing spot in a respectful way?

Gratitude

Members don't see this ad.

Email the clerkship director or clerkship coordinator of any university affiliated EM program. they can get you set up with someone to shadow.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may be able to take it as an "elective" My school offers 2 week electives to 1st and 2nd years in pretty much any field.

This has worked for me during undergrad. Go to an ER and ask the physician. Most would not mind. If they're a-holes about it, they're probably not someone you want to be around anyway.

That's a great point. Guess I just need to muster the courage to walk in and ask. Great answers everyone, I sure appreciate the helpfulness of the ER forum.

Talk to the volunteer office.
I don't think anyone can simply walk in from the street and ask the shadow.

I was a volunteer and still couldn't get into the ER that I volunteered in as a shadow, and I KNOW the ER director! Good luck, I hope you have better success than I did!!!

Where do you live, someone might be able to give you a specific name.

Many hospitals have volunteer programs, and the ED is a common place where you can be assigned.

There is a great program at U Penn (HUP) if you live in the philly area.

Where do you live, someone might be able to give you a specific name.

Many hospitals have volunteer programs, and the ED is a common place where you can be assigned.

There is a great program at U Penn (HUP) if you live in the philly area.

Tempe/Phoenix Area - Currently go to Arizona State

Thanks for the heads up on the ED assignment, I've dropped off a few apps, no responses yet though.

Hi everyone. I would also like to shadow an ER doctor like the OP. I called a few hospitals, but they all refused. Does anyone have any recommendations for someone I can shadow in northern NJ / NYC area? Any advice will help. I am trying to explore this specialty as much as I can. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. I would also like to shadow an ER doctor like the OP. I called a few hospitals, but they all refused. Does anyone have any recommendations for someone I can shadow in northern NJ / NYC area? Any advice will help. I am trying to explore this specialty as much as I can. :)

Below is a link to the SAEM residency list. Pick your states and below will be a list of all the residency programs. Once you pick a program, you will find contact information for people that can help you or lead you in the right direction. The list is not all inclusive but only residency programs which have an educational mission.

http://www.saem.org/residency-directory

You need to contact an academic program.... that is about the only way you are going to get your foot in the door. The other option is a friend of a friend that is an EM physician in a private place; you can try the volunteer thing to get your foot in the door, but I think its rarely all that successful.

During college, in my hometown we had no academic center. I signed up as a volunteer at the hospital; originally I was in the ED. All I got to do was sign in vistors at the front. I had zero interaction with the actual ER or patients and tried to get to know the folks there but had virtually no luck. I talked with the volunteer supervisor and ended up in the post procedure GI lab. I did get to interact with patients there and one of the GI docs, who took care of several of my family members through the years, did take me into several procedures and also got me into the OR for some cases.

I was doing the above for pre medical school experiences...

Most private physicians just dont have any interest in having a student around; and even if they do, its not just up to them. It then has to go through the channels of adminstration and such...so it becomes a huge headache all the way around. I've heard people having better luck in a stand alone family medicine type clinic owned by the physicans. They do not have the adminstration layer that most any ER has...

Below is a link to the SAEM residency list. Pick your states and below will be a list of all the residency programs. Once you pick a program, you will find contact information for people that can help you or lead you in the right direction. The list is not all inclusive but only residency programs which have an educational mission.

http://www.saem.org/residency-directory

Thanks for the link! I didn't state this originally, but I should mention that I am not a medical student yet. I am a pre-med student in college who will be applying to medical school soon. Are these programs just for med students?

You need to contact an academic program.... that is about the only way you are going to get your foot in the door. The other option is a friend of a friend that is an EM physician in a private place; you can try the volunteer thing to get your foot in the door, but I think its rarely all that successful.

During college, in my hometown we had no academic center. I signed up as a volunteer at the hospital; originally I was in the ED. All I got to do was sign in vistors at the front. I had zero interaction with the actual ER or patients and tried to get to know the folks there but had virtually no luck. I talked with the volunteer supervisor and ended up in the post procedure GI lab. I did get to interact with patients there and one of the GI docs, who took care of several of my family members through the years, did take me into several procedures and also got me into the OR for some cases.

I was doing the above for pre medical school experiences...

Most private physicians just dont have any interest in having a student around; and even if they do, its not just up to them. It then has to go through the channels of adminstration and such...so it becomes a huge headache all the way around. I've heard people having better luck in a stand alone family medicine type clinic owned by the physicans. They do not have the adminstration layer that most any ER has...

Thanks for your reply. I agree, it's really hard to get into the ER. But its my favorite specialty & my dream job, so I want to get exposure to it before I go to Med school.

Tempe/Phoenix Area - Currently go to Arizona State

Thanks for the heads up on the ED assignment, I've dropped off a few apps, no responses yet though.

No love from the hospital next to campus? Their ER wasn't particularly nice, but a lot of pre-meds did their stuff there when I was at ASU. Best option is to hit up Mayo if you have a car.

some EM groups employ pre-meds as scribes -- probably the best experience you'll get in the ED as a pre-med. you literally follow an EM doc and take notes.

i volunteered at my university's ED briefly as a college student - horrendously boring and useless experience. just got meals and blankets, no involvement w/ the docs. found a volunteer gig at the resident ob/gyn clinic which was much more involved. i also had a job as a physical therapy tech at the same hospital, where i worked everywhere but the NICU and learned a lot about how to talk to/deal with patients, common diagnoses, etc.

I contacted the local chapter of ACOEP and ACEP, and two local medical schools and asked if they knew of anyone interested. Had a list of 20 within the week.

some EM groups employ pre-meds as scribes -- probably the best experience you'll get in the ED as a pre-med. you literally follow an EM doc and take notes.

i volunteered at my university's ED briefly as a college student - horrendously boring and useless experience. just got meals and blankets, no involvement w/ the docs. found a volunteer gig at the resident ob/gyn clinic which was much more involved. i also had a job as a physical therapy tech at the same hospital, where i worked everywhere but the NICU and learned a lot about how to talk to/deal with patients, common diagnoses, etc.

My group has scribes and we spend our shifts hanging out and talking to them. Overall I think it would be a good experience. You get to see traumas, ask questions (when not busy), see procedures. Overall I think it is great if interested in any field of medicine.

No love from the hospital next to campus? Their ER wasn't particularly nice, but a lot of pre-meds did their stuff there when I was at ASU. Best option is to hit up Mayo if you have a car.

I agree Tempe St. Luke's has a good history of letting ASU pre-meds volunteer at the ER. Other options are Banner Desert in Mesa which is volunteer friendly and Chandler Regional which is very student friendly. They actually hire undergrads as scribes in the ER which was a great experience for me.

I would steer clear of Mayo though, pretty small ER with low acuity stuff and mostly patients coming in with post-op complications. That was my impression when I rotated through there as a student.

My group has scribes and we spend our shifts hanging out and talking to them. Overall I think it would be a good experience. You get to see traumas, ask questions (when not busy), see procedures. Overall I think it is great if interested in any field of medicine.

I agree. We have scribes as well, and nothing will get you as hands on into EM or medicine as a whole as being a scribe. They're with you the entire shift, documenting everything we do. Traumas, codes, splinters, they see it all. The most valuable part is that the scribes not only get to see one doc's perspective, but in our group they get 40 perspectives (from all attendings and MLP's). They're in on consults, in on imaging, in on labs. If they had something like this when I was premed, I'd have been all over it.

Hey!

Maricopa Medical Center has volunteers in the Emergency Department very frequently, often their volunteering turns into a reasonable amount of shadowing. This is just like 10-15 min from ASU and its now the official "academic medical center" for U of A Phx.

Contact the volunteer department and ask to be assigned to the ED, once you get through all the HIPPA crap and get a volunteer badge its just a matter of being nice to a resident or attending who doesn't mind pulling you in for some cool stuff.

If you show up to the door of the ED and ask to shadow they just going to tell you to go to volunteer services.

Best of luck!