Shadowing an MD - how to get started?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_mcfly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello!

to all of you who have shadowed MDs at local hospitals:

how did you get hooked up with the shadowing gig? through someone you know, through school, through volunteering, or through just getting in touch with the hospital and expressing interest? is it an "official" program or just kind of an unofficial arrangement you have with an individual doc?

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

dr_mcfly said:
hello!

how did you get hooked up with the shadowing gig? through someone you know, through school, through volunteering, or through just getting in touch with the hospital and expressing interest? is it an "official" program or just kind of an unofficial arrangement you have with an individual doc?

thanks in advance!

Some hospitals have official volunteer offices. If so, it is polite to go through them since there may be a waiting list. If not, just look up a doc in the hospital directory and give em a call.

dr_mcfly said:
hello!

thanks in advance!

At our University they offer a class called Career Planning in Medicine. They basically set you up with the Medical Center for a 4 hr. block one day a week. It was a pretty good set up. You might want to check with your pre-med advisor or career services center on campus.

Don't bother with the Volunteer office because that is mostly for high school students and won't allow you to be an active partcipant or shadow in the e.r.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would not hurt to approach your family doctor with the prospect of shadowing him/her. If their office allows it and after you explain your interest in medicine and your motivation, it most likely will not be a problem. My school had a course called "pre-professional experience" which allowed students an opportunity to shadow someone in their prospective field so I did a small stint of observing in the ER of a local hospital. Once I graduated I got a job in a critical care unit, and after about 4 months, there I approached one of the trauma surgeons who rounded. He said he would be delighted, and I did rounds with him and went to the OR when he did in the morning after my night shifts. I have also approached many docs who are rounding in our unit and have observed many bedside procedures (lumbar puncture, ICP insertion, central line placement, intubations, etc). If you do not work in a hospital, try calling the human resources department. They should be able to hook you up with some shadowing opportunities, or with someone else who can. I know that my hospital does offer that sort of opportunity to the public (to those who are interested like you are). As for me, only the pre-prof class was for credit, the rest was on my own time but I did mention it in my AMCAS, of course, and one of my LORs came from the trauma surgeon.

Hope this helps you.

Alot of non-teaching hospitals won't give you the time of day when trying to set something up with a shadowing position. I was a volunteer at one and still couldn't get any assistance. So.... I went to the hospital's web site and looked up their physician lists. Just look for a certain field (whatever interests you) and find the physician's office address or whatever they have. I mailed (not email) a letter basically requesting any shadowing opportunity with my gpa; tried to sell myself (which you'll get used to as a premed) and got a few. I must say that most of the Doctors I tried to contact never contacted me in the end. Just a reminder, you have to make sure that the letter is constructed in business format ( you have to look professional now..)
And another thing, if you're going for Neurosurgeons or cardiothoracic surgeons you'll probably be wasting the stamps. I've tried dozens and..nothing. I did get a general surgeon to shadow however. Basically all it comes down to is whether or not the doc is generous enough to allow you. Alot are jerks, but it never hurts to try. Also, if your school has a premed club you might be able to get some connections through them, good luck!

When it comes to ADCOMS where does shadowing rank on the list of clinical experience and how many hours would be ideal? My dad's good friend is an orthopedic surgeon and would surely let me do as much as I wanted.

I'm a "child life" volunteer at childrens hospital which means I go play with and look after 1 patient for a few hours (usually gives their parents a break which is nice), does that also count as clinical experience? Doesn't seem like it would but not sure what would...we're not physicians.

If the MDs are at your university, look them up in system and email them.

If not, you can look them up at the hospital web site and email them.

Otherwise, pick a few from a phone book or insurance website and write letters to them. I wanted to shadow a pediatrician so I mailed letters to 5. One replied and I shadowed him for a day.

I am shadowing a surgeon who used to operate in the OR I work at. Though, if you do not have a situation like that, ask your family/personal physician if you can shadow him, and if you can't ask him if he has any advice on who to shadow.

He probably knows more about your area and where you might be able to shadow a doctor.