Shadowing an Ophthalmologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akscal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MS1, and am looking to shadow an opthalmologist that works at a hospital near my school. I have never shadowed a doctor before, how does one set up a schedule? and how often should we meet? Basically I want to know is their any etiquette I should follow? Any reply would be most appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Akscal said:
I am an MS1, and am looking to shadow an opthalmologist that works at a hospital near my school. I have never shadowed a doctor before, how does one set up a schedule? and how often should we meet? Basically I want to know is their any etiquette I should follow? Any reply would be most appreciated.
Thanks

Email and tell them you simply want to see the types of cases an ophthalmologist treats in clinic and their daily routine - Try to make it to the OR at least once to get a feel for the kinds of surgeries one will be performing. How often you want to go or whether you want to make it something regular is solely up to you since this is for your own benefit. I dont think a regular schedule is necessary unless you have the time or the interest. If you tell him you only want to go a few times to get a sense for the field, i'm sure he/she will understand. Basically, ask him what would be convenient for him, and then choose what fits into your own schedule.

If this does become a field you can see yourself pursuing, make sure you work hard in medical school striving for honors with above average Step 1 scores. In the summer between your first and second year, you may want to do ophtho research with a faculty member at your school if research is of interest to you. Good luck!